Leicester City

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The owners' wealth comes from duty free shops at airports, I imagine it's been a pretty miserable last few years for them so there's probably no cash to inject.

Or after winning the league and the FA cup, they've realised it's not worth checking money at it anymore 

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Or after winning the league and the FA cup, they've realised it's not worth checking money at it anymore 

Possibly, but that would be quite a weird decision after they spent an absolute fortune developing a state-of-the-art training facility for the club.

Wouldn't have an issue with selling if I were Leicester. Its proven time and time again that better players can be found for a third the price if you're willing to take a risk.

I do wonder if their model has hit its ceiling though. They sell Maddison for way over what he's worth, cool. But then a replacement costs you, 30, 40? And then there is no guarantee on an improvement there, or even a side step. Really the only way they can bridge that gap now is with some absolute blinders in the market or destroy their model and spend big.

Just spitballing names and numbers here but say they sell Maddison for £60m and Fofana for similar and then replace them with Houssem Aouar and William Saliba for about £25m each.

That would leave them in a very good position and also make them about £70m. I'd do that deal without blinking if I was them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Wouldn't have an issue with selling if I were Leicester. Its proven time and time again that better players can be found for a third the price if you're willing to take a risk.

I do wonder if their model has hit its ceiling though. They sell Maddison for way over what he's worth, cool. But then a replacement costs you, 30, 40? And then there is no guarantee on an improvement there, or even a side step. Really the only way they can bridge that gap now is with some absolute blinders in the market or destroy their model and spend big.

The model does work up until you end up buying some duds with the money, like what happened with Southampton eventually.  Then you end up in eternal mid-table nothingness, though to be fair as said by others their recent success makes up for it.  We will probably strive and strive to catch up with the top teams and be stuck with mid-table nothingness, without the high points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Possibly, but that would be quite a weird decision after they spent an absolute fortune developing a state-of-the-art training facility for the club.

They've got the capacity increase coming too

Maybe it's not completely wrong though that they have looked at it all and realised that they've spent a load of money they've bought a load of good players they've won the league they've won the FA Cup they've played in Europe... And they're still £200m a year off spurs in terms of revenue, they can't break the top 6, they cant force the growth (KW) so they're trying to be a bit more sensible with it all 

I don't think people always realise just how big the gap is between the haves and have nots in the PL

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Didn't realise how pants things are at Leicester.  Looks like they'll be a much weaker team this coming season.

The spine is still good if they're all fit and staying. Castagne-Evans-Fofana-Justin is good back 4 with plenty of threat from wing backs and upfront Vardy, Maddison, Barnes is still a tricky forward line to nulify.

Pretty weak at CM when Tielemans eventually goes. Dewsbury-Hall is o.k but no gamechanger, Soumare not really made an impact and still got Hamza Choudhury knocking about. Also lack a good RM with Lookman going back to Leipzig and Albrighton getting on now.

Generally though at prem level you do need to keep freshing up side otherwise it does go stale. Rodgers did waste money last summer though, Vestegaard cost about 18m didn't he and flopped and Ryan Bertrand was a bit of a pointless signing at LB, he'd be on a good wage moving on a free.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't really see why Leicester don't have money to invest without selling their bigger names.  They seem to have been well run without giving out silly contracts all over the place and not that much waste in the transfer market.

Bloke at work is a Leicester fan, says they have just spent loads on a new training ground so don’t have the finance to also strengthen the squad. I felt a little smug (although would still take their recent success) saying we’d just had a new training ground, we’re doing the ground up and buying players. 

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Bloke at work is a Leicester fan, says they have just spent loads on a new training ground so don’t have the finance to also strengthen the squad. I felt a little smug (although would still take their recent success) saying we’d just had a new training ground, we’re doing the ground up and buying players. 

Hard life being a Leicester fan. Only league title, Fa Cup and some good euro runs in last six seasons!

They'll dip a bit I guess but had some incredible times and club infrastructure is solid enough to come again in a few seasons.

• Like 1

I though the training ground was paid for with the Harry Magure £80m?

I’m surprised at their lack of ambition, maybe the people running it now since the owner died aren’t as interested in throwing millions at it.

Maddison is in a nice position. Will either get a big contract at Newcastle or a new deal at Leicester.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They've got the capacity increase coming too

Maybe it's not completely wrong though that they have looked at it all and realised that they've spent a load of money they've bought a load of good players they've won the league they've won the FA Cup they've played in Europe... And they're still £200m a year off spurs in terms of revenue, they can't break the top 6, they cant force the growth (KW) so they're trying to be a bit more sensible with it all 

I don't think people always realise just how big the gap is between the haves and have nots in the PL

Yes, all fair points. To be clear, just because I think it would be daft to spend a fortune on a new training complex and then immediately lose interest doesn't mean that's not what happened, people do daft things in business all the time. I just think it's more likely they've got some financial issues.

They had a good run in the mid 90s aswell when you think about it. O'Neill got them promoted and they matched us by winning two league cups in 2-3 years and had a couple of top half finishes. Then completely imploded and went into administration a few times and ended up in league one.

Far too well run for anything like that to happen now but as a club they don't have the safety net top 6 though. A couple of poor signings and bad managerial choice post Rodgers and they could easily be 13th-14th again with Vardy retiring, been hints of that last two season when he's had spells out injured and their form has dropped so think they know that's coming and really trying to get their academy going again.

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I though the training ground was paid for with the Harry Magure £80m?

I’m surprised at their lack of ambition, maybe the people running it now since the owner died aren’t as interested in throwing millions at it.

Maddison is in a nice position. Will either get a big contract at Newcastle or a new deal at Leicester.

Weren't there rumours before the start of last season that there was a bit of a falling out between him and the manager?

Isn't their financial problems all linked to the new FFP rules coming in linking salary cap to total turnover at something like 70%. They're top 8 for salary but their income doesn't match that so until they sort that they wouldn't be able to qualify for Europe. 

I live in Leicester (unfortunately) and moved here the year the won the league (even more unfortunate). 

The fans are absolutely flapping. No danger of relegation but it's clearly some sort of financial reset with the new training ground complex etc. Defence is a big issue. Fofana will probably go, Evans is always injured and Soyuncu is awful. Tielemans downed tools in a few games last year and will probably go at the end of the window. Vardy is constantly getting injured and Daka not quite good enough (yet). 

If they have replacements earmarked, selling Fofana and Tielemans won't be such a bad thing providing they can buy 3/4 decent players in return.

If they want to keep hold of Maddison they might aswell sell Tielemans to us now while they can get a fee. They wouldnt sell both and can spin that to Maddison and the fans too why he has to stay another year. 

£20-25m and decent wages could solve a problem as an 8 that will add the balance we never find no matter the combination. The Carney money for Tielemans seems a good deal to me could Gerrard, Purslow and Lange convince him is the question

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They had a good run in the mid 90s aswell when you think about it. O'Neill got them promoted and they matched us by winning two league cups in 2-3 years and had a couple of top half finishes. Then completely imploded and went into administration a few times and ended up in league one.

Far too well run for anything like that to happen now but as a club they don't have the safety net top 6 though. A couple of poor signings and bad managerial choice post Rodgers and they could easily be 13th-14th again with Vardy retiring, been hints of that last two season when he's had spells out injured and their form has dropped so think they know that's coming and really trying to get their academy going again.

They are clearly connected :P  

• Haha 1

Â