Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Is Barry free too?

Yes, though the Mail says West Ham is willing to give him £65,000 a week, so he's not that free.
Maybe he'd be willing to lower his wage more to spend his last few years with Villa? I mean it's not all about the money for some... (just clinging onto hope haha)

When you're entering the twilight of your career, you follow the money if it makes sense. Unless we would offer Barry at least £60,000, I don't think he would even consider our offer.
Is he a Villa supporter like Lescott?

Is Barry free too?

Yes, though the Mail says West Ham is willing to give him £65,000 a week, so he's not that free.
Maybe he'd be willing to lower his wage more to spend his last few years with Villa? I mean it's not all about the money for some... (just clinging onto hope haha)

When you're entering the twilight of your career, you follow the money if it makes sense. Unless we would offer Barry at least £60,000, I don't think he would even consider our offer.

No. Throughout his whole career here the minute any team showed an interest in him he wanted out. First Portsmouth, then Liverpool, finally City and he got his move, can't imagine him coming back

Is Barry free too?

No. Throughout his whole career here the minute any team showed an interest in him he wanted out. First Portsmouth, then Liverpool, finally City and he got his move, can't imagine him coming back

That's true, I'd forgotten that about portsmouth, what year was that?

Don't think we'll be signing either Barry or Lescott under the current circumstances but if we did I think Barry and Westwood would be too similar. Id like to see a a midfield of Barry, Delph and Hoolahan with Westwood demoted to the bench as a squad filler.

Like Barry and McCarthy? I'd say they are quite similar, and they've both excelled. 

Don't think we'll be signing either Barry or Lescott under the current circumstances but if we did I think Barry and Westwood would be too similar. Id like to see a a midfield of Barry, Delph and Hoolahan with Westwood demoted to the bench as a squad filler.

Like Barry and McCarthy? I'd say they are quite similar, and they've both excelled.

Agreed

McCarthy has much more bite to his play than Westwood and much more bullish in the tackle which compliments Barry's passing style perfectly.

Westwood doesn't do this.

Edited by shaggy
  • Like 2

Is Barry free too?

He was at the club 12 years. Portsmouth had a bid rejected when we was in turmoil. The only mistake he made was that piece in the Sunday papers about going to Liverpool and after that he was still one of our best players. Also if rumours are to be believed he wanted to come back last summer so I'd hope that would still be the case. I don't think money is his main motivator now as he left us for trophies and as a top level premier league player has been earning loads for his whole career. IF we got him and Lescott we would have the experience and nous needed. I also think Barry would help develop Delph and teach him when to take people on and how to keep things ticking over better.

• Like 2

Is Barry free too?

That was 2006, can't blame him for that (for the record he never actually said anything about going there).

Speculation was high though and it was following the infamous players revolt letter.  

• Like 1

For me with limited money the three positions we need to look at is centre back left back and a creative midfielder would try lescott

Take a cold shower, Lescott's a terrible creative midfielder!

• Like 1

I'd love for us to try and sign Belgian Youri Tielemans.

He's only 17 but already a regular in the Anderlecht midfield, granted i've only seen him a couple of times but from what i saw he has great vision, strikes the ball very well and plays like he's 10 years older. He's highly rated in Belgium and a friend of mine who lives there raves about him all the time.

He could perhaps bring his teammates Praet, Bruno and Kouyaté so he won't feel lonely

The only way we can get top talent is if we gamble and try and sign them before they really breake through, of course there is a risk. For every Benteke there are at least 5 Balabans...

Edited by sne

Weirdly I got a DM about a month before the end of the season from someone saying they knew someone close to Colback and he was coming to us.  I didn't really believe it....until now.  Meh signing.