Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Hugh Southan, a journalist and old ghost writer for Bobby Moore has said via an article linked on his twitter, that Colback won't be going to West Ham. The big word before the season ended was that he was going to Newcastle maybe he decided against that when Sunderland didn't get relegated.

Does anybody seriously think we'll make any permanent signings before ownership changes?

Seemingly some do. No idea why.

Because if I was Lerner I would say no spending until July when we can see where we are with take over offers, etc. If nothing is happening I will release x amount of money. The wages also cannot rise above y when you do make signings (loan or real). Basically there is no rush to spend right now but if the ownership is still unclear by the time pre-season starts then it will be business as usual to protect the investment.

• Like 1

Does anybody seriously think we'll make any permanent signings before ownership changes?

It seems obvious that that will depend on what the timetable for a takeover is? I mean, let's say we aren't taken over for a calendar year, yes, I would imagine we might make a permanent signing or two in that time. 

On the other hand, I doubt anything will happen in this window until the end of August, because Randy won't want to spend anything if he doesn't have to. 

Unlikely to sign anybody until ownership is sorted, although I would be in for Lescott and Barry on frees - 25 man squad would look like this:-

Guzan

Given

Steer

Okore Vlaar Lescott

Donacien baker Clark

Bacuna Delph Barry Luna

Lowton Kea Westwood Bennett

Nzogbia

Grealish

Gardner

Benteke Agnonlahor

Kozak Weiman

Bent

Loaning out the likes of Hutton, tonev, sylla, helenius, Bowery, plus the kids

Colback plays right mid so I fail to see how he would be better than Albrighton who we just released on a free. OK colback would be better on the right side of a diamond with delph left of the diamond could work nicely, but our priorities have to be a number ten, and IMO a better defensive midfielder then Westwood. Westwoods a decent player but very average. 

Barry never relied on pace or energy so his age is less of a issue, GB could go on until 36-37 in the premier league and would be an improvement on and would even benefit Westwood's game as Westy could learn from proven quality. Plus he experience and leadership would be a real help. 

Lescott could be the solid left sided centre back we need. With him Vlaar and Okore we would have a very capable central defense. We could go for Bertrand, who would be a decent signing, but for me his attacking play was very average, if the fee's were the same I would be tempted to go for Aaron Cresswell and the lad has a beautiful cross on him, reminds me of Baines (probably not as good though). Could do with a right back too, but not important.

On a budget incomings

Lescott - Most probable signing if the news about accepting 45k wages is true.

Colback - Wages raises big question marks, also if we were to bring in another right back I reckon Bacuna would be a better right mid than him.

Barry - Wage raises big question marks.

Hoolahan - Would Norwich suddenly change their mind and decide to deal with us?

Cresswell / Bertrand - 5 million on a left back seem unrealistic right now.

That would easily keep us up provided our important players stayed fit for most of the season. Plus we have a wild card in Jack Grealish, who looks like a fine prospect (early days mind).

Ideally we get new owners in by the end of July pay off the bomb squad, bring Lescott and Barry in anyway and spend good money on two quality fullbacks and a quality playmaker, plus a quality attacking mid / wideman.

I think a lot of players we have been linked with in the past along with others that we might have hoped we would make a move for will find new clubs this summer Cliffy Biro.

Sadly it seems we are waiting for a bus to come along without the fare to ride on it. Other clubs will jump on board and will become stronger in the coming weeks. We will hope 3 of them will still end this season below us knowing one season soon our luck will run out unless someone with money and the will to spend it buys us a ticket.

• Like 2