Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Cleverley will now spend the rest of the season on the bench, get released next summer with offers coming solely from Bolton and Wigan for "occasional first team starts".

It's what he deserves.

• Like 3

Hardly disappointing. We did our business early. DD is always a bit of a lottery. At least we stopped ourslelf from being stiffed by cleverly's agent.

glad your happy we spent 7 million. We will struggle again. We needed a few more to push on. Ah well. It is what it is.

Would you feel better if we'd spent £25m instead of 7 on the same players?

"We needed a few more to push on."

"We should have spent more on the players."

Spot the phrase he used.

Overall, I think we've done pretty well. Although I was non-plussed about the signings of Senderos, Cole and Richardson, our back four is definitely improved with Hutton (never thought I'd be saying that, but fair play to him -- he's done really well coming back from difficult circumstances), Cissokho and Senderos. Richardson and Sanchez provide some bite in midfield, N'Zogbia coming back looks like it could be promising. Still a question mark over Joe Cole until I see him get some more minutes.

Disappointed that we didn't get any late excitement in the form of an attacker, but if late reports are correct we dodged a bullet with Cleverley, I think -- wrong attitude. And I'm delighted we've kept Vlaar. I suppose there's still a chance we might bring in some unknown attacker on a free, we've done pretty well in the bargain bins so far.

• Like 1

We didn't spend a lot but overall i'm much, much happier with our squad this season than I was at the same time last season.

Even if most of that is just calling in the bomb squad. I feel like we've got a squad who will have what it takes to stay up pretty comfortably. Once Benteke is back and fit we'll be a pretty dangerous side.

Seems like he was totally left in the lurch by Everton trying to pull a fast one.

*sniggers*

The plot thickens surrounding the collapse of Tom Cleverley’s move from Everton to Manchester United.

Old Trafford sources claim that Cleverley travelled to Merseyside after Everton had a £7.5million bid accepted but the club then made an unsuccessful attempt to knock United down to £5m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2740195/Tom-Cleverley-set-stay-Manchester-United-midfielder-sees-moves-Everton-Aston-Villa-break-down.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I don't think Cleverley or his agent should take up poker.

I suspect his name will be mud at Old Trafford. Man U accept a bid of £8m from us, Cleverley tries to double his salary and we we walk away. Cost to them circa £9m assuming he stays to next June and he really does earn 'only' £30k per week.

I don't blame Everton for a cheeky last minute chip at the price. My guess would be they thought he could probably add something and was suddenly available but never a priority. I very much doubt they would have paid him £60k per week either so maybe Cleverley had tempered his wage demands. 

Of course another way to look at it is that Cleverely was still holding out for close to his £60k per week and Everton said no too. To face save his agent or maybe even Man U are putting the story round that Everton tried to chip the price. Cleverley and his agent have royally screwed up and I think we are well shot of a player with what looks like a bad attitude no doubt fuelled by his agent.

bet we wont end up spending anything next year either. "we had to renew those contracts so theres no money left"

let's worry about that next year, eh?

We spent one of the, if not the, lowest amounts in the league but I'm struggling to see who among our group in the league has strengthened better than us in relative terms since the end of last season, regardless of how much was spent or where the players came from.

I think the curse of modern day football is that there are plenty of fans who are unhappy right now who'd be a lot happier with the exact same squad strength, but a net spend of quadruple what it was

• Like 2

lerner gave lambert a whopping 6m to spend cheers mate 

disgraceful

How do you know what funds were made available ?

I would guess that you only know what was spent, not what was available....

That is fair point, not all the money was spent.

The funds made available were in the region of £10m, they were topped up a little in order to try and get Cleverley or the chap from Spain.

As it is Lambert spent around about £6m net of fee's in a market that saw the rest of the Premier League spend over £800m.

Whatever way anyone wants to try and cut it the budget provided to Lambert this summer is utterly pathetic.

• Like 1