Songs that make you cry

welnik

Someone Great - LCD is great tune. Never made me cry. When I was young I cried when Soundgarden broke up listening to some of their songs. Especially Like Suicide, dark somber song.

Only ever shed a tear twice at a movie. Obviously two movies will be spoiled by this so read movie name first.

First was Oscar Shindler pleading for forgiveness from those he saved. How many could he have saved if he'd sold his wedding ring etc.. Powerful stuff.

The other was the end of Big Fish, where his son tells the story for how his father dies to him and then realised at the funeral his father embellished real stories not made them up. I'm close to my father and saw that when my parents were divorcing. So hit on something.

But never cried because any specific song was sad. Isn't opera the only thing that can do that?

Edited by CVByrne

• 8 years later...

I borrowed from James “all I’m saying” for a mates eulogy that I delivered  , cancer took him far too young :(

the original song is actually quite up tempo but the lyrics are really beautiful

I'm dreaming of you

You are free of all the pain

You kept from me

I’m dreaming of you,

We never said goodbye

I'm missing you and all the worlds you opened up to view

I love you…

See you next time

standing next to a coffin delivering that as I looked at his parents ,  sister and friends means whenever I hear that song , I definitely get a bit of a lump in the throat and think back to days we shared

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Certain songs bring back memories of happier times and that makes me emotional, just thinking about that period of my life, when it wasn't as painfully shit as it is today. 

Also stuff like Abide With Me, I Vow to Thee, Jerusalem, Amazing Grace (bagpipe version - sorry @bickster) and other such hymns/songs make me think of funerals I have been to and good people no longer with us. 

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Amazing Grace (bagpipe version - sorry @bickster)

I don’t hate bagpipes, just the Representative for Wellingborough that can’t play them and tries to every f***ing tea time at the back of our house

He's had so much practice he's getting worse

If a song catches me in the right (or wrong) mood then I can choke up with emotion at times.

From the same album as @tonyh29’s James lyrics,  Moving On always makes me think of my Nan and one of my good friends I lost to a brain tumour. The line “God didn’t see it coming, never said I love you, hope you knew” brings a tear to my eye every time. 

• Like 2

Elgar's Nimrod was played at my Grandad's funeral and as such, has ever since hit pretty hard as result.

Can no longer listen to Varúð by Sigur Rós thanks to, of all things, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia without getting all wibbly.

Used to struggle to get through Vangelis' Tears In Rain, then got numb to it for a while, then when the couple of faint stings slowly came in at the end of Blade Runner 2049 I reverted to a blubbery mess.

For me, it’s not the “big” emotional songs about loss or whatever, it’s the little songs that kind of cover loss in passing almost, with just a line or two. Depreston, Courtney Barnett, or don’t let the kids win, Julia Jacklin being examples. Specific songs or albums that aligned with personal events that have happened are also obviously poignant, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

This was in the Muppet Christmas Carol VHS version that I remember from childhood but for some reason they edited it out of the later DVD versions.

Disney+ are adding an 'extended' version of the Muppet Christmas Carol in the coming weeks, which adds this song back in. In subsequent home releases to the VHS version, it was deemed 'too sad' to be included. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

There's a couple of famous sad songs in what might be considered as the best British opera? Purcell's 'Dido and Aeneas'.

I worked in a shop where you'd get a choice of the major works. One quiet evening a guy comes to the counter with maybe seven different recordings? Every one we had. He asked which one was best?  This one of the easiest questions in a classical music shop. There is a clear winner.

The best recording didn't come with a libretto, which is the accompanying book, so you can follow the story and read the notes as you listen. A lot of opera is in Italian, it's helpful. He was reluctant to take the recommendation, it was as expensive as versions with a libretto, Opera fans like book.

I played him seven versions of 'Dido's Lament' gradually cranking up the misery as he walked around the shop. 

The penultimate version is pretty good, it was top of the tree for a while. It came in a nice box with the book. He was keen.

The last version goes on, then fades out. He's at the end of the counter crying his eyes out.

He took it, obviously. 

To be fair playing the shittest one seven times probably would have ended in tears.

• Like 2

Â