Songs that make you cry

welnik

Following on from the films thread.

I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel, and when my dad died we asked for the song "Father, Son" to be played at the funeral. My God I bawled my eyes out. We went to see the "Growing Up" tour a couple of months later, and at the end, it's just PG and a piano, I just knew I would be in floods, and of course I was. Even typing this is a bit hard.

Also , another one is Britney's "Everytime". But you have to watch the video, as it helps make sense of the song.

I'm sure there are others........

So, What about you lot?

Cheers Nick

I sometimes get a bit teary when listening to really soulful music. Aretha Franklin has had me crying like a little girl before now, ditto Otis, Mavis Staples etc. For some reason traditional brass bands get me a bit moist eyed too. I've no idea why. 

Gonna sound like a big Jessie, but there are a quite a few songs that have made me a bit weepy. Moonlight Serenade by The Glen Miller Orchestra, as it reminds me of my Granddad, who was a big fan. Sappy stuff like Mother & Child Reunion by Paul Simon makes me blub too, if I'm in the right mood.

God, I'm gonna have to go out drink ten pints, eat the hottest curry in the Indian, and start a fight with someone smaller than me now, to show what a big man I am!

• Like 1

I cried to Bitter Sweet Symphony when my hamster died, it was on when I was told the news.. I swear my brother set it up :lol: I was about 10.

I've also cried to Yesterday by The Beatles, when I had a bit of a shitty time in my relationship about 7 years ago, but it's ok, we're married now :) 

Songs are usually a link to a time in your life and the emotions they bring up will be from that point. So as in Dave's case, the song reminds him of his granddad. I suspect most 'crying' will be from the memory rather than the actual song, unless it's like the song I mentioned where it is the song itself that brings on depression followed by furious anger :)

• Like 1

No songs make me cry, very little does.

However, I went through a particularly bad time in my life a couple of years ago. I listened to Arctic Monkeys' Suck it & See religiously during that time, and listening to it now brings up a fair few memories. It remains both my most hated album because of it's association with that time, and also my most loved album for helping me through it.

Ps My hard time was nothing compared to some people's, but everything's relative eh?

Songs are usually a link to a time in your life and the emotions they bring up will be from that point. So as in Dave's case, the song reminds him of his granddad. I suspect most 'crying' will be from the memory rather than the actual song, unless it's like the song I mentioned where it is the song itself that brings on depression followed by furious anger :)

I kind of agree, regarding the songs that remind you of someone or something. However I think that it's possible to just have an emotional connection to a piece of music, without it being linked to a memory of a person or an event etc. I class myself as being Agnostic, bordering on Atheist, but when I listen to Black American Gospel music, I feel a what I can only describe as an emotional, and although I hesitate to say it, as I'm contradicting myself a little, a spiritual connection to it. I'm not Christian (although Christened C of E), black, or American, so it's not even something that's conditioned into me, I don't think.

I kind of agree, regarding the songs that remind you of someone or something. However I think that it's possible to just have an emotional connection to a piece of music, without it being linked to a memory of a person or an event etc. I class myself as being Agnostic, bordering on Atheist, but when I listen to Black American Gospel music, I feel a what I can only describe as an emotional, and although I hesitate to say it, as I'm contradicting myself a little, a spiritual connection to it. I'm not Christian (although Christened C of E), black, or American, so it's not even something that's conditioned into me, I don't think.

Oh I agree which is why I said it is 'usually' the case. Of course music has the power to evoke emotion. It's why people love classical music etc. Because it gets to them.
  • Like 1

For me there are those which are sad by association (Nat King Cole singing Stardust) and those which just wreck me from sheer truth and beauty (the opening to Sibelius's symphony number 2).

But the results are just the same.

Â