Songs that make you cry

welnik

None, it’s not that I don’t get the urge but when I do I like to go through the process of mentally opening a steel cabinet in my mind , putting the thought in there and locking it with a key. Do not want to show weakness and find it best to bottle these things up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

None, it’s not that I don’t get the urge but when I do I like to go through the process of mentally opening a steel cabinet in my mind , putting the thought in there and locking it with a key. Do not want to show weakness and find it best to bottle these things up.

Not sure if serious. 

Just remembered one. When our first daughter was born, I got back from the hospital and played this - instant blub. Still does it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2022 at 23:01, It's Your Round said:

From the same album as @tonyh29’s James lyrics,  Moving On always makes me think of my Nan and one of my good friends I lost to a brain tumour. The line “God didn’t see it coming, never said I love you, hope you knew” brings a tear to my eye every time. 

Great song.

My mate introduced me to it not long after my mum passed away. Always gets a lump in the throat whenever I hear it.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Shit on the Villa is way funnier, from the bottom of the 2nd tier :lol: 

Every derby game I've been to, they sing it.

Every time they do, I shout "you words removed coudn't shit on the Villa if you had collective diarrhoea".

Not that they could hear me, but I tried.

• Haha 2

Always a moving target. It's all about context as much as music, it seems, reading these and thinking back. But are there pieces of music that make me cry in an apparently context-free situation? Well, not possible, really. Context can't be chopped off and set aside. Sometimes even the dumbest songs make me cry and the most dolorous ones don't, depending on the moment.

Stlll, this one's a frequent friend ... even just playing it here just now messed me up lol. I think a lot of the emotion connects for me to a moment as a father when my son was in hospital with pneumonia as an infant (he's OK now! knock on wood), and I heard this song then. This whole video intro to the song is hilarious, if you get a chance. Both singers sadly dead now. The song is based on a Robert Burns poem. It's family lore that Burns is a distant relative of mine, but maybe the lore added to the personal impact.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Richard Manuel, the white Ray Charles. Truly heartfelt song.

I'll see your Richard Manuel, and raise you Rick Danko: 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

This doesn’t make me cry, but I do find it moving for some reason.

It is a great version. Some faces in there that I'd forgotten about. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'll see your Richard Manuel, and raise you Rick Danko: 

People rave about the Beatles, the Stones and many others, but The Band were truly something unique, timeless even. I was watching Richard and Van singing "Tura, Tura, Tura" on YouTube the other day. It was beautiful, and I recall a comment where someone mentioned Dr John and how at that moment, him and all the others who contributed to the Last Waltz were standing around the stage all in tears.

It's almost criminal how Scorcese didn't get that into the film.

• Like 1

Fly by Einaudi the first time I heard it (probably because it was in the cinema, in the film Intouchables). I think this is my favourite piece of classical music.

A few of Yann Tiersen's beautiful piano pieces from the film Amelie.

Storms by Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks) once made me shed a few tears too, as did No Need to Argue by the Cranberries. 

😢

• Like 1

Â