World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Australia should've got 2022.

In terms of sporting value it ticks the boxes. Passionate Sports fans, potential for Football to grow further (like USA in 1994), lots of good stadia that could be converted to Football very easily like MCG.

Of course however the time zones mean Fifa wouldn't have got as much for their broadcasting rights from europe so that was that.

Travesty if they never get the chance to host one in next twenty years imo. Given in a football sense they're clashed as Asia they'll probably miss out to China or India when WC is offered to that Continent again.

FIFA doesnt like other sporting events on in host country and cant imagine rugby shutting down mid season for the football especially if need use the stadiums

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

JUst think Turkey too **** up of a place to host it. Security be a bit of a nightmare

I will be very unhappy if Turkey won a WC bid. It's a joke we haven't hosted a world cup since 1966

20 hours ago, bobzy said:

Qatar will be incredibly friendly.  Of course you can drink in pubs (or bars, doubt they have pubs) - you just can't be drunk in public places.  It's the same as UAE afaik.

I think some people think Qatar is some third world country because they know nothing about it.  Personally, I'd much sooner travel to Qatar than Russia.

Yes, from a personal safety viewpoint, i'd definitely rather travel to Qatar rather than Russia. 

On 16/07/2018 at 21:01, Demitri_C said:

I will be very unhappy if Turkey won a WC bid. It's a joke we haven't hosted a world cup since 1966

There are no brown paper bags full of cash for FIFA if we win it though, which is why I think it will never happen in my lifetime.

England could host a World Cup tomorrow if it wanted to. There are easily 10-12 stadiums in England alone that would maybe need a lick of paint at the most, and the transport infrastructure, although unreliable, is already in place. You can add the Millennium Stadium, Ibrox, Celtic Park, and Hampden to that if we fancied a UK bid as well.

Qatar are building a World Cup from scratch. 5 brand new stadiums,  the other 3 being upgraded, and planned second terminal at Doha Airport give FIFA multiple opportunities to negotiate many lucrative backhanders..Part of me hopes this is just the last breaths of the Blatter legacy, but I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Blatter never actually wanted Qatar to host it funnily enough, apparently it was the doomsday bid within Fifa circles given all the logistical problems and they massively underestimated how much support Qatar had lobbied and secured behind the scenes.

Think he was happy for America to get it again as think they bid for 2022?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10835315/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-Sepp-Blatter-admits-it-was-a-mistake-to-host-tournament-in-the-Middle-East.html

Qatar World Cup 2022: Sepp Blatter admits it was a mistake to host tournament in the Middle East

16 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

There are no brown paper bags full of cash for FIFA if we win it though, which is why I think it will never happen in my lifetime.

England could host a World Cup tomorrow if it wanted to. There are easily 10-12 stadiums in England alone that would maybe need a lick of paint at the most, and the transport infrastructure, although unreliable, is already in place. You can add the Millennium Stadium, Ibrox, Celtic Park, and Hampden to that if we fancied a UK bid as well.

Qatar are building a World Cup from scratch. 5 brand new stadiums,  the other 3 being upgraded, and planned second terminal at Doha Airport give FIFA multiple opportunities to negotiate many lucrative backhanders..Part of me hopes this is just the last breaths of the Blatter legacy, but I'm not so sure.

Sadly this is my my opinion to. France will probably bid and get it ahead of us even though a hosted one many years after us

They aren't just building stadiums, and transportation from scratch...They are building a whole new city just for this world cup!

Over 4000 migrants are expected to be killed due to terrible working conditions by 2022. The ESPN documentary from years ago did a very good showing what these migrants are dealing with. 

i don't think they need brown paper bags, can you imagine the expense claims going in after the various FA delegates spend 6 weeks in Doha

the city they are building is lusail, new stadium, new 6* hotel, luxury shopping, golf course, man made islands, entertainment

do you think the FAs that voted for Qatar will have a bad time or a good time there?

On 17/07/2018 at 21:24, Jenko#4 said:

Yeah, no UK bid for me thanks.

1/10 WNB

• 3 months later...

Gianni Imbecillo opening up to the possibility of having 48 teams in the 2022 WC.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has said football's governing body is looking into the possibility of increasing the number of teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Infantino also revealed FIFA is considering sharing the hosting rights of an expanded tournament with other nations in the region.

FIFA decided earlier this year to expand the 2026 World Cup, to be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico, to 48 teams from 32 while leaving the door open to raising the number playing in Qatar in four years' time.

"We have decided to increase the number of teams participating in the World Cup final tournaments from 32 to 48 and this will happen in 2026," Infantino said in an address to the Asian Football Confederation's annual congress.

"Will it happen in 2022? We are looking at it. If it is possible, why not?"

Infantino said an expanded tournament would see Asia's allocation rise to 8.5 places from 4.5.

Tiny Gulf state Qatar, which is home to just over 2.5m people, was awarded the hosting rights in late 2010 and has been planning for a 32-team tournament since.

Infantino acknowledged that to increase the number of teams in 2022 would require the cooperation of other countries in the region.

"We have to see if it is possible, if it is feasible. We are discussing with our Qatari friends, we are discussing with our many other friends in the region and we hope that this can happen," he added.

"And, if not, we will have tried. We will have tried because we always have to try to do things in a better way."

Qatar has been in dispute with several of its neighbours since June last year, with Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt cutting diplomatic, transport and trade ties, accusing Doha of financing terrorism. Qatar rejects the charges.

Infantino also reiterated his desire to expand the Club World Cup, the next edition of which will be played in the UAE in December, saying FIFA wanted to make it "a real competition."

"One that every club in the world can target because we have global interest and everyone will benefit, not only from a financial point of view," he added.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11540590/world-cup-expansion-possible-for-2022-says-fifa-president-gianni-infantino

why not?

i said before here that one of the good things about this WC will be how many fans you will have in such a small area, 48 teams will kill that, i would have serious doubts about Qatars capability of having that kind of influx, hotel infrastructure would be the main concern, i dont think its there, they were scrambling to accommodate the 32 teams fans

• 2 months later...

Beer prices in Qatar just doubled :D 

How much?! Crate of beer costs £82 in Qatar as 'sin' tax introduced

The "sin" tax means a bottle of gin will now cost £73.25, while 24 cans of beer cost an eye-watering £82.73.

Many people around the world woke up with a sore head after a night of overindulgence on New Year's Eve.

But hangovers might be about to get a lot less likely over in Qatar, which has introduced a 100% tax on alcohol from today.

The "sin" tax comes weeks after the conservative Gulf state announced plans to introduce a levy on "health-damaging" goods.

Booze prices were already high - and following the changes, a one litre bottle of gin will now cost 304 Qatari riyals (£73.25), while a 24-pack of beer cans will cost 384 riyals (£82.73).

The cost of a bottle of wine is pricey but not as steep, with 750ml of South African Shiraz now set to cost 86 riyals (£18.53).

Compared with what they were before, prices have doubled overnight - and the changes were revealed by the Qatar Distribution Company, the country's only alcohol store.

It is legal to buy alcohol in Qatar with a permit, and alcohol is served in licensed bars, clubs and hotels. However, drinking in public is banned.

The price hikes are likely to be a sensitive subject in the run-up to the World Cup in 2022.

Organisers of the football tournament say alcohol will be available for fans in designated areas, but forbidden in public spaces out of respect for the country's traditions.

https://news.sky.com/story/alcohol-prices-double-overnight-in-qatar-as-new-sin-tax-enforced-11595884

Not that one should need alcohol to watch football, but this WC really isn't for the fans.

Edited by sne

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Beer prices in Qatar just doubled :D 

https://news.sky.com/story/alcohol-prices-double-overnight-in-qatar-as-new-sin-tax-enforced-11595884

Not that one should need alcohol to watch football, but this WC really isn't for the fans.

A World Cup in a country with hardly a football culture, questionable safety, poor infrastructure to manage, highly likely gained from corruption, and disruptive to domestic leagues around the world is the real sintax error.

Reboot.

7 hours ago, AJ said:

A World Cup in a country with hardly a football culture, questionable safety, poor infrastructure to manage, highly likely gained from corruption, and disruptive to domestic leagues around the world is the real sintax error.

Reboot.

They hate the gays too.

• 4 weeks later...

so are wee seeing the start of a new charm offensive from Qatar to try and raise peoples opinions before the WC?

This time it appears ex Sweden player and Arsenal legend "Congo" Kim Källström has been handed a container of money to act as unofficial ambassador or influencer spouting drivel in one of the major papers.

Football World Cup in Qatar has received massive criticism.

Now the host country is defended by Kim Källström.

27ad22df-a7fb-4c5e-b270-445d6c2f2ad7?fit=crop&h=784&w=1100&s=7f4891f2970c93698114b6746cc2e20268009b67

- Sometimes you may not believe in everything you read in the media, says Källström.

Fifa has been criticized from all sides and edges for having awarded the Qatar World Cup 2022.

In addition to mutant complaints and criticism of working conditions for guest workers , the heat has been a critical point for the championship.

And recently, Finnish national team player Riku Riski chose to play games with the national team in Qatar because of the playground.

- After I received the invitation, I discussed the matter with coach Lennart Wangel and the head coach Markku Kanerva. The reasons behind my decision were ethical. I think there were values I wanted to hold on to. They understood my position but were of a different opinion, said Riski .

Källström: "Don't believe everything you read"

But former Swedish national teammate Kim Källström is of a different opinion.

He commends the upcoming Qatar championship.

- I think we Swedes have got a picture of Qatar that has been downloaded from the media. But it is important to visit the country itself to form your own opinion. Obviously, there are areas of improvement in Qatar, but they are working hard on it. People may be skeptical, but I have had a very nice stay here and it has been an eye-opener. Sometimes you may not believe in everything you read in the media, says Källström to SC , one of the organizations that arranges the championship, after they invited him to visit the host country.

Among other things, Källström praises the proximity to the various arenas and thus the law will avoid the long journeys.

- It is important to take the World Cup to new countries. Qatar has its problems, but they are making improvements. They have made several advances and arranging the World Cup in their country can help them to develop and train. I am really impressed by the development here and also the hospitality, ”says Källström.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/oRr33j/ska-kanske-inte-tro-pa-allt-man-laser

I mean Human Rights Watch be damned, the only way to truly learn about a country is to go there and stay in a gated luxury resort eating golden meat sprinkled with some Turkish guy's arm hair.

Bell end.

Edit: Turns out he was actually invited by the WC organizers and given a tour of the facilities.

So he has in fact joined Guardiola, Xavi and a bunch of other soulless moneygrabbers in acting as ambassadors for Qatar.

Hope he is sacked from his TV gig after this.

Edited by sne

This Gulf Between Us

The Cold War in the Hot Desert.

After all, it is about who really should control the Arabian Peninsula, who has a future on the other side of the oil and natural gas - and it is driven and shaped in astonishingly high degree of football.

Each time has its weapons. For the past 15 years, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have been involved in a clear race to become established and accepted. They want to be seen and recognized internationally, they want to be trading partners and tourist destinations - and you don't have to be Kim Källström to find out how football is used here.

seppblatterqatar

You can build the world's tallest house and the world's largest shopping mall and the world's toughest **** Christmas ball - the United Arab Emirates put 95 world-class world records only last year - but you will never be able to compete with a neighbor who arranges a football World Cup. Then it doesn't matter if you own both Manchester City and Arsenal's name and Real Madrid's shirts. Nothing else gives you the same impact, the same exposure.

In a promotional and marketing war, the World Cup itself is the nuclear weapon - and on the other hand, the only chance is to rob it or disarm it before it is fired.

When the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain suddenly started a hard blockade last summer, they justified themselves by accusing Qatar of financing terrorists and of approaching Iran. Many read the escalation differently. What drives the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia was not the will to fight terrorists - without fear of losing the propaganda war. Globally, they lost ground to Qatar, so they felt compelled to weaken them, isolate them, and take away their sharpest weapons.

They would make it impossible for Qatar to alone arrange the World Cup.

An all too deceptive interpretation? Of course, a conscious simplification, but nevertheless an analysis which after only a few months was recognized as semi-official truth. United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash demanded Qatar submission, if anything the World Cup could possibly be up to. The Dubai Lieutenant General, Dhahi Khalfan, was even more explicit in his argument: 
"If the World Cup disappears from Qatar, the crisis will also disappear. It was created to crack the World Cup ”.

1546862448_442160_1546862655_sumario_normal

Following the Asian championships down in the United Arab Emirates was especially in many ways, but one of the more peculiar impressions was that the matches were not shown at all on television in the host nation. Nothing in the hotels, nothing in the restaurants - either you were in the arena, or you saw nothing of the matches. The explanation, of course, was that the broadcasting rights are owned by beIN-Sports, a pay channel that originates from Qatar.

It is not the case that the Qatar team is on the other side of the trench line in a war zone, but the hostility they encounter is greater than that driven by ordinary sporting rivalry. Since the land border out of Qatar is barred and the flight connection between the nations is shut down, they had to take a 25-hour detour over Kuwait in order to arrive at all. And now they are alone. No fans from Qatar have been admitted to the United Arab Emirates, hardly any journalists either. Where all the other coaches are painted in the colors of the participating nations, the Qatar bus is grayed out anonymously.

In the United Arab Emirates it is now considered a cyber crime worth up to 15 years in prison to even express sympathy for Qatar on social media.

What happens in the future is difficult to speculate in. joint arrangements with the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

They bought and ripped off a national life insurance of football already in connection with the 2010 World Cup election. Now they have no minimum interest in sharing it.

And the blockade they can handle. Although it cost them about SEK 400 billion only during the first two months, there are virtually unlimited banknotes left in the natural gas tunnels. Now Saudi Arabia is threatening to make Qatar an island, replacing the entire land border with a deep moat and dumping nuclear waste next to it. Well ...? Nothing that can't be solved with money. When the blockade made 95 percent of Qatar's dairy products disappear, they purchased 17,000 dairy cows from Germany, Hungary and the USA. When they need construction workers or military personnel, they recruit them in Bangladesh or Pakistan, when they need football players, they recruit them from North Africa.

For those who can't bother to make any moral background assessment - a majority of the football world, with or without Kim Källström included - the Qatari national team has been the most positive surprise of the Asian championships. Under the hand-picked Catalan federal captain Félix Sánchez, the young team has really evolved, become a well-structured team capable of playing both with and without the ball. In contrast, the home-run United Arab Emirates has rather stuck to this semi-finals, played in front of half-empty arenas but had luck with both verdicts and bounces.

At least they are now making an effort. In order to guarantee full stands for "Block Adderby", the government bought up all the remaining tickets for the match, and handed them free to "loyal emirates". Both schools and authorities close at lunch to give everyone the opportunity to see the match (through one or another pirate broadcast).

Qatar already has a clear and clear lead in this football war. Should they also defeat the United Arab Emirates in the United Arab Emirates - should they win the entire Asian Championship - it would shake an already unstable region further.

https://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/nivasvarld/2019/01/this-gulf-between-us/

In other news....looks like I'll be wrong as Qatar looks like it's developing a pretty good national team. They reached Asian Cup final today (beat UAE 4-0 and will play Japan) which is big achievement for them.

Thought they'd be worst performing modern WC hosts and half their team would be South Americans.

Meh. It's just too much shady stuff going on out in the open that we as consumer are aware of. It's time to take a stance at some point. Football is consumer driven and nothing will change in regards of ethics unless their hand is forced. That the product lose its value. And the value is the tv viewers.  A piss in the sea, but I'll avoid this world cup all together I think. (Maybe do some illegal streaming) 

Â