World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

i'll watch, of course I will, its ropey as **** that its there but then south Africa and Russia was stupid too

part of me just wants to get the feel for how weird a winter world cup will be, a big part of last summer being a great WC was just how good the summer was, the game vs Sweden was in 30 degree heat in a beer garden, the other games were BBQs, it could die purely by the fact that the pub atmosphere and lack of desire to watch games together also dies down, or it could make it better, impossible to tell at the moment

• Like 1

Will be a stay at home with family World Cup. Watching games after work

Like everything people will still watch it. Sure the World Cup after is going to the USA who have done worse damage on the world stage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i'll watch, of course I will, its ropey as **** that its there but then south Africa and Russia was stupid too

part of me just wants to get the feel for how weird a winter world cup will be, a big part of last summer being a great WC was just how good the summer was, the game vs Sweden was in 30 degree heat in a beer garden, the other games were BBQs, it could die purely by the fact that the pub atmosphere and lack of desire to watch games together also dies down, or it could make it better, impossible to tell at the moment

Aside from everything else that's bad about this World Cup (that I am, of course, also going to still watch), not having a tournament to watch in the Summer for 3 years is going to be brutal. It's already bad enough when we have a Summer of odd-numbered year.

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I wish someone would just cancel this shit show and hold it in the summer in a proper country.

_109360968_2022_world_cup_pl_apedit_v2_n

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50169337

That's not going to be signed off by Fifa, they always insist on 3 week domestic gap e.g. last English match is FA cup final and then 3 weeks later World cup starts. It will have to be two weeks as a minimum as national teams will want to fit in a warm up game or two before it starts.

You'd have thought they'd be starting season end of July, that seems more logical to me as then you could fit in an early midweek round when the weather is still nice. I also assume they'll be no international weekends in September and October (November one will obviously be start of WC) so you can put in extra fixtures that way.

Overall it's still complete bonkers and not a world cup I'll be mustering much hype for.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's too late, there will be so many contracts in place by now it would cost fifa too much to get out of it, it would spend years in court

You don't spend £4bn or whatever it is on infrastructure based on a handshake 

It'll happen, but it could still fall apart.

I can definitely see England dropping out if a few key players like Sterling and Kane refuse to go.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The FA turn down the pay day?! 

I would be beyond gobsmacked 

Do you get paid much for being in a world cup? Probably from Qatar yes.

They'll have to face up to some real flak if various world superstars pull out and they still go. 

The players get £2k per sponsor per game which amounts to around £10 or £12k I think which they give away to charity (plus then individual deals from sponsors) the players pulling out I can understand

The FA fat cats? Not a chance, not sure how much revenue a world cup generates for them as an organisation, would guess its millions plus then that world cup will be a hot bed for new sponsors and audiences, the FA and PL charm offensive will be in full flow and of course don't forget the Fifa guidelines cap the personal gift value at £12k so I'm sure the FA representatives will be treated like paupers for a month whilst they're out there

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do you get paid much for being in a world cup? Probably from Qatar yes.

They'll have to face up to some real flak if various world superstars pull out and they still go. 

I am sure Nike or Adidas will force them to play

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It'll happen, but it could still fall apart.

I can definitely see England dropping out if a few key players like Sterling and Kane refuse to go.

Why would they refuse to go out of interest?

Many players go on holiday to places like Doha and Dubai.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why would they refuse to go out of interest?

Many players go on holiday to places like Doha and Dubai.

Because they've killed over 1,000 people forcing them to build the stadiums.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Doubt footballers care, they rarely think for themselves. Not like singers or actors

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Awful human rights record no doubt but then so has China and that hasn't stopped loads of good players from europe going over to play.

I just don't see it happening. I'm sure players have their opinions but majority are trained from early age now not to talk about any of that and just concentrated on football cliches.

I can't see any top player boycotting this. This will be Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi's last chance to win a world cup so those three won't pull out for a start.

Edited by VillaChris

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not watching, utter disgrace.

Me neither. I decided that the instant the envelope was opened with the name of the country on it.

I won't watch any coverage or read anything about it. It'll be easy for me as I'm not much interested in international football at the best of times. A World Cup in Qatar is the worst of times.

The best way to register disapproval, short of torching Qatari assets, is to not watch. And, of course, if you are thinking of going, think again and stay home grab some winter sun elsewhere.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I wish someone would just cancel this shit show and hold it in the summer in a proper country.

_109360968_2022_world_cup_pl_apedit_v2_n

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50169337

Villa to start that season flying and be top in November. Grealish goes to the World Cup as England’s starlet and gets the team to the quarter final. Some South American born “Qatari” international breaks Jack’s leg with on the of the worst fouls you’ll ever see, but because FIFA have been paid off, not only does the bloke not get a sending off, it’s not even given as a foul. England lose, Villa’s momentum ends and we drop out the top 6. 

You heard it here first 

Edited by mikeyp102

Â