Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

Something happened to him yesterday because there were at least three occasions in the second half when he had loads of space to overlap in to and he didn't go. He held back and received a nothing ball. 

We'd switched to a back four then so maybe he was told not to bomb on. Maybe he wanted to but was worried about leaving the space in behind that has led to goals previously. Either way, he needs to have the confidence to run past people, especially when there's easy space to run in to. 

It can't have helped him having Lescott and Clark playing on his side this season. Maybe if Crespo plays that side, Amavi will get his confidence back. 

Were ruining this guy's career 

Shame

Not ruining ruining his career in the slightest. He's a good player with huge potential and he's showing that.

He cost us a point against Palace and you could say the goal VS Albion was down to his error as well. So there's a lot of room for improvement still.

• Like 1

Were ruining this guy's career 

Shame

Not ruining ruining his career in the slightest. He's a good player with huge potential and he's showing that.

He cost us a point against Palace and you could say the goal VS Albion was down to his error as well. So there's a lot of room for improvement still.

You'll learn how things get ever-so-slightly exaggerated on VT :D

• Like 1

Something happened to him yesterday because there were at least three occasions in the second half when he had loads of space to overlap in to and he didn't go. He held back and received a nothing ball. 

We'd switched to a back four then so maybe he was told not to bomb on. Maybe he wanted to but was worried about leaving the space in behind that has led to goals previously. Either way, he needs to have the confidence to run past people, especially when there's easy space to run in to. 

And there was a moment in the last fifteen minutes when Grealish had the ball twenty yards infield and was imploring him to bomb on so he could play a ball in. 

In the end Grealish played the ball there anyway to force Amavi to run on to it - he belatedly chased it and nearly got to it but it went out of play. Before any of that had happened, Jack had already shouted "F*** off" and turned his back on it - he was clearly furious.

Now that begs two questions.

1.) Is Amavi being instructed not to make runs to the byline, even when other players think the space is available?

2.) Does our 20 year old playmaker know more about the game than his manager?

I think we've got this very talented footballer confused and tied up in knots of thinking about what he should be doing rather than just expressing his ability - by all means make sure he's doing everything right tactically in his own half, but let him play once he's in the final third surely?

He looks really, really frustrated to me.

• Like 1

And there was a moment in the last fifteen minutes when Grealish had the ball twenty yards infield and was imploring him to bomb on so he could play a ball in. 

In the end Grealish played the ball there anyway to force Amavi to run on to it - he belatedly chased it and nearly got to it but it went out of play. Before any of that had happened, Jack had already shouted "F*** off" and turned his back on it - he was clearly furious.

1.) Is Amavi being instructed not to make runs to the byline, even when other players think the space is available?

I think we've got this very talented footballer confused and tied up in knots of thinking about what he should be doing rather than just expressing his ability - by all means make sure he's doing everything right tactically in his own half, but let him play once he's in the final third surely?

Someone recalls that differently in the Grealish thread :D

Someone recalls that differently in the Grealish thread :D

That will be me then. 

The way I saw it was Grealish did call Amavi on but then tried to push inside to make the space and Amavi had to hold the line otherwise he would've strayed offside. Grealish dallied with the ball instead of slipping it into space and then got smothered and lost the ball, then going off at Amavi. That was how I saw it at the time in L4 lower, but haven't seen any replays so if I'm incorrect please correct me? 

No doubt Amavi is frustrated but so would anyone playing in a team that provides no decent cover out wide when he drives forward. While Lescott is his cover when he is expected to push on and deliver I think he will continue to be frustrated tbh because it really exposes him and us. Even our CB's are far to wide and apart at times. And I cannot see what the heck Clark did to lose his place to Lescott in the first place especially when we looked quite solid at the back in the opening games.

Until we address the issue of strength and cover out wide on what is a very wide pitch we will continually be questioning the performances and quality of our fullbacks until the end of days imo. We need natural width in midfield and until we sort this out our play will continue to be smothered, fragmented and will always break up easily with pressure. I think the pitch is far big for us to be playing so narrow at time especially when in possession of the ball. We just don't generate any space on the pitch with the formation.  

Amavi is a class act but as with the right back position, Hutton and Bacuna there is just not sufficient cover for them out wide to get forward without exposing themselves on a frequent basis. 

Played for French under 21s in Scotland today, they won 2-1.

Anyone on here go to the team or watch it on TV, BBC Alba showed it live apparently.

Have to say France must have the best under 23 generation in world football currently...to go with the well known suspects like Greizmann, Pogba, Kondogbia, Martial etc they had Kingsley Coman, Rabiot and Laporte all playing today.

Ah, that explained it - I tuned in to BBC Alba but couldn't see him at left back and tuned out because the commentator was speaking some sort of drivel and I couldn't understand a word - on the BBC too!

Haha I did exactly the same OBE. I must admit that I had to google what BBC Alba was, as I had no idea what language they were talking. Turns out is was Scottish/Gaelic.

On a side note I have noticed a programme called Bannan also on BBC Alba, imagine my disappointment when it wasn't what I expected it to be. :D

• Like 2

Whatever happened to Con? Blast from the past. 

He made a bet that Bannan would start Palace's next match, or something. Bannan didn't even make the bench. I don't think Con has been seen since.

He's the best troll VT has ever had. Total wind up.

Edit: Yep, pretty much. This is one of his last posts

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â