Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

...and Zog 'covering' you..

That's harsh on Zog too. It wasn't until Bacuna came on that Zog switched to that side. Sinclair was just as bad.

Navas had a good game. He's a really good player. As a team we didn't deal with him sufficiently in the second half. Sometimes though, when you are playing a side with the quality of Manchester City, it can appear like your are a man down as the game begins to stretch and legs begin to tire. Particularly given there monumental effort we put in for the first 75 minutes.

I'm not going to mark him down for struggling a wee bit after that. What I do want to see from him going forward are a few more first time crosses, because he's really good at them.

• Like 2

Is going to be a top player ,excellent going forward ,think he hasn't had much of a pre season and fitness might be a problem,think that was part of his problem in 2nd half against babas ,looked wrecked ,but going to be a top player.

Think some are being a bit harsh to be honest.  When you have Sagna and Navas running at you, you're in for a tough game. 

Still. He was leaving space behind himself that Navas exploited.

• Like 1

...and Zog 'covering' you..

That's harsh on Zog too. It wasn't until Bacuna came on that Zog switched to that side. Sinclair was just as bad.

Navas had a good game. He's a really good player. As a team we didn't deal with him sufficiently in the second half. Sometimes though, when you are playing a side with the quality of Manchester City, it can appear like your are a man down as the game begins to stretch and legs begin to tire. Particularly given there monumental effort we put in for the first 75 minutes.

I'm not going to mark him down for struggling a wee bit after that. What I do want to see from him going forward are a few more first time crosses, because he's really good at them.

I agree and it's important we don't lapse into thinking we can only do this when Gestede is playing. Crosses like this allow players to get across their markers and nick a header on goal. Ayew can do this and he's probably not the only one.

Townsend kept mentioning it during the first half and I thought he was right, make a yard and whip a ball in. Did wonder if he was consciously trying to play on the floor and stick to short pass and move as he'd been instructed to though.

• Like 1

Townsend kept mentioning it during the first half and I thought he was right, make a yard and whip a ball in. Did wonder if he was consciously trying to play on the floor and stick to short pass and move as he'd been instructed to though.

cross to who though? Ayew is hardly a target.. not many players were in the box. If Gestede was in there he may well have. Instructions seem to be keep the ball.. keep possession. No point putting in a cross and get caught out of position in the counter attack.

• Like 3

cross to who though? Ayew is hardly a target.. not many players were in the box. If Gestede was in there he may well have. Instructions seem to be keep the ball.. keep possession. No point putting in a cross and get caught out of position in the counter attack.

Sterling isn't much of a giant, but he got on the end of a cross put into the right area. Crosses don't always have to be in the air, just pick out the player moving into the right position.

• Like 1

This. Every time he had the option he looked up, found no target and passed back rather than tun over possession and be caught out by the counter.

Perhaps if he drove to the byline a bit more he might invite more runs into the box or be able to draw a foul - but I can understand his hesitancy against the league leaders.

Sterling isn't much of a giant, but he got on the end of a cross put into the right area. Crosses don't always have to be in the air, just pick out the player moving into the right position.

difference is our defenders are useless. Ayew wasnt left wide open very often if at all.

I think he had a strong game today, the last 15 mins or so city did target him and navas and Sagna where getting the better of him, but these are two world class players we're talking about, he's not a miracle man, think he was lacking a bit of fitness towards the end.

He wasn't targeted the space was targeted and the space was created by N'Zogbia's introduction and the fact that he is only able to run in one direction.

Amavi was fantastic, why that idiot sherwood decided to consistently play richardson ahead of him is absolutely baffling

Because it helped peddle the myth that the players signed in the summer weren't good enough and in turn took attention away from the horror show that was Sherwood's performance.

• Like 2

That was the plan yesterday for sure. I'm sure as Garde has more time with the players the "plan" will develop.

First game, vs top of the league, I think keeping possession was a good tactic. I'm sure if we'd gone a goal down those sorts of crosses would have started being delivered

I'd be half tempted to buy a new left back and push this fella further forward.

Isn't he a bit too good going forward to have to concentrate on defending? Has a touch of the Gareth Bale's about him.

Just a thought.

I honestly think Garde may look in to bringing back Cissokho if it is at all possible, stupid decision letting him go and keeping Richardson.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 2

Isn't he a bit too good going forward to have to concentrate on defending? Has a touch of the Gareth Bale's about him.

Just a thought.

I honestly think Garde may look in to bringing back Cissokho if it is at all possible, stupid decision letting him go and keeping Richardson.

cissokho wasnt that bad in my opinion, would rather have him at lb than richardson.

VillaTalk always want to move players when they're playing well.

Amavi is a very good left back. We've been crying out for a very good left back for years.

I'd rather keep him there as opposed to moving him somewhere else and once again being on the lookout for a left back!

• Like 2

Just a thought.

Getting Greedy there.  We have waited years for a decent Left back and no you want two!

Â