Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

Think some are being a bit harsh to be honest.  When you have Sagna and Navas running at you, you're in for a tough game. 

Still. He was leaving space behind himself that Navas exploited.

He does this alot. Gets drawn out of position and then gets beaten in behind. If he can sort that out he'll be a 'Top Top' player.

• Like 1

He really is a fabulous footballer, absolute joy to watch when he's in full flow. There are no flaws to his game, superb defender, very rarely gets beaten 1 on 1 but he's also great going forward. I can't wait to see how he develops, he's a great talent

Amavi was fantastic, why that idiot sherwood decided to consistently play richardson ahead of him is absolutely baffling

Hold on lets get the facts right. Richardson started 2 games under Sherwood thats all!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

He really is a fabulous footballer, absolute joy to watch when he's in full flow. There are no flaws to his game, superb defender, very rarely gets beaten 1 on 1 but he's also great going forward. I can't wait to see how he develops, he's a great talent

I'm a big fan but certainly I've seen more than a few flaws so far. Going forward he is brilliant and good too 1 on 1 but at the moment his decision making and positional play still needs work.  I'm confident he will become a top player but he far from flawless yet

• Like 4

Amavi was fantastic, why that idiot sherwood decided to consistently play richardson ahead of him is absolutely baffling

Hold on lets get the facts right. Richardson started 2 games under Sherwood thats all!

Two games (which we lost) is far too many why are you defending him??

You've stated he "consistently" played Richardson ahead of Amavi.  He didn't.

Amavi is, IMO one of our best.  He really does look to get forward and looks dangerous there.  Against Man City I really wanted him to put some crosses in. Not just lofted balls but targeted to a runner. But I suspect that as suggested above, the plan was to keep possession rather than put speculative balls in.  I hoped Remi would start with defense and possession and move to building an offense during this break.  I think Remi did that and Amavi (and others) followed the plan well.  I'm happy with the huge step forward.

On the other end of the pitch, Jordan has a tendency to be a bit too hopeful into the tackle high and wide on the pitch.  Too many premier league players (Navas and Sagna for example) skip over that and it leaves the flank exposed.  Right now, that's especially bad because we haven't made enough progress in defensive organization for the rest of the team to rotate the marking and we leave a big gap somewhere (like maybe debruyne unmarked).  Until the rest of the defense is better organized, Jordan needs to focus more on staying on his feet and containing the wings.  Just my opinion.

But don't read a suggestion for improvement as disappointment.  could not be happier that Amavi is in the line-up ahead of any other option we have, and was beyond pleased with the result.  Best Sunday I've had in a long time.

Edited by srsmithusa

Ridiculously good on the ball.

Has to be taught how to contain a winger during 1-on-1s. 

Navas rinsed him a lot yesterday, and should have got himself a few assists. You don't have to win the ball every single challenge - analyse the risk and push someone wide if it means them going round you has them in on goal.

• Like 1

VillaTalk always want to move players when they're playing well.

Amavi is a very good left back. We've been crying out for a very good left back for years.

I'd rather keep him there as opposed to moving him somewhere else and once again being on the lookout for a left back!

No, I agree, he is a very good left back.

I just wouldn't mind playing him left wing and selling him to Real Madrid for 80 million, that's all.

I will defend Sherwood over this one point because it simply isn't true.

Amavi is a very good left back. We've been crying out for a very good left back for years.

I'd rather keep him there as opposed to moving him somewhere else and once again being on the lookout for a left back!

No, I agree, he is a very good left back.

I just wouldn't mind playing him left wing and selling him to Real Madrid for 80 million, that's all.

He will leave if we go down.

He won't break into the French squad once Evra retires after the euros playing in the championship.

Normally I agree 100% with you on this. Like the crazy idea of moving Richards to right back, which blows my mind. However I also said the same about Bacuna and now I'm not so sure.

Amavi might be another exception, on the basis that he really is THAT good going forward but not *so* great defensively, though better than many think I would say.

Hmmm. I may do a useless here and change my own mind within my own post! I think what he really needs is a grafter in front of him. Perhaps if we can find a decent striker other than Ayew, Ayew can play that role.

Townsend kept mentioning it during the first half and I thought he was right, make a yard and whip a ball in. Did wonder if he was consciously trying to play on the floor and stick to short pass and move as he'd been instructed to though.

cross to who though? Ayew is hardly a target.. not many players were in the box. If Gestede was in there he may well have. Instructions seem to be keep the ball.. keep possession. No point putting in a cross and get caught out of position in the counter attack.

Sterling isn't much of a giant, but he got on the end of a cross put into the right area. Crosses don't always have to be in the air, just pick out the player moving into the right position.

difference is our defenders are useless. Ayew wasnt left wide open very often if at all.

It's for him to find the space, not for defenders to give it. If our central defenders are good enough for GOD, they are good enough for me.

There were plenty of times he could have put the ball into the box, and give the forwards a chance to make a run, he didn't so they couldn't.

Edited by villianusa
Edit

I rate him and thought he was a noticeable and welcome upgrade on Richardson, but I think some of the praise on here is a little over the top.

I thought on too many occasions when he was given the ball with space on the overlap he turned it back rather than try to beat his man or get himself a 1/2 yard to put a ball into the box.   commentator on the stream commented on this a couple of times.  I also noticed a couple of times in the Villa half where he seemed to be caught on his heels when he looked in the best position to pick up a misplaced pass or loose ball initially but got beaten to it by a Man City player.   I remember thinking, "good, Amavi will get that" only to see him move too slowly.

Â