Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

All the confidence we saw at the beginning of the season is being sapped out of him game by game, and that seed of doubt makes all the difference between success and failure. It's no longer "I'm going to take this guy on and beat him", but "Oh god, I have to make something happen, I hope I don't **** it up", which is doomed from the off. Familiar story with us, sadly.

Edited by the_eristic
  • Like 1

I thought he did o.k today actually.

Maybe got sloppy/tired towards the end but I thought he cut out a lot of their crossfield balls and in the second half he was part of our best attacking move when he got to the byline and crossed it.

There's only so much left backs can do though. 

Maybe got sloppy/tired towards the end but I thought he cut out a lot of their crossfield balls and in the second half he was part of our best attacking move when he got to the byline and crossed it.

I disagree - he gave the ball away that eventually led to their goal. As a defender I think his is still a bit of liability. 

I disagree - he gave the ball away that eventually led to their goal. As a defender I think his is still a bit of liability. 

I agree with both of you.

He most certainly is stil a bit of a liability ( but going forward is a danger).

But wouldnt we expect that ? If he was the ffinished article better sides than ours would have took him on. These players will need time to develop. Whether the Manager can ilicit the necessary development whilst also getting results will be the biggest question this year.

I had hoped, in vain, that the fans would see that this year and be patient.

Not gonna happen though is it !

Edited by terrytini

Yes he was at fault for the goal and the booking wasnt great. But lets not get dramatic, he still absolutely skinned the right back and got to byline and delivered dangerous cross, probably our most exciting moment of the game, and in last 15 minutes he covered Richards and Lescott briliantly with three last man interceptions and clearances.

Just needs to cut out the fancy stuff in own half 

Yes he was at fault for the goal and the booking wasnt great. But lets not get dramatic, he still absolutely skinned the right back and got to byline and delivered dangerous cross, probably our most exciting moment of the game, and in last 15 minutes he covered Richards and Lescott briliantly with three last man interceptions and clearances.

Just needs to cut out the fancy stuff in own half 

Sherwood got very "dramatic" after their goal and went nuts at Amavi. He has been directly at fault for at least three goals so far and needs to focus on being a better defender. I am all for attacking FBs but only if they are first and foremost defenders. Our more recent LBs were all hammered for similar errors. 

I like Amavi a lot. He will be a great player in the future.

At the same time, he has made two mistakes that have almost directly lead to match winners for the opposition.

It's a difficult situation for Sherwood: how to erase those mistakes without erasing Amavi's confidence.

yeah i dont think hes been too great to be honest. I think hes shown flashes in attack and defence and he will become one of our best left backs in a while.. but hes still adjusting.. hes still young and making errors.. but you can see he will be quality. Unlike a few others we have brought in.

Â