Carles Gil

bose

We are so poor in the final 3rd we will never see the best of Gil. He has very limited options whenever he recieves the ball in attacking areas and ends up dribbling too much. 

Hes not in Coutinho/Silva class dont get me wrong,  but in a more intelligent attacking team he would be very very useful. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Haito said:

We are so poor in the final 3rd we will never see the best of Gil. He has very limited options whenever he recieves the ball in attacking areas and ends up dribbling too much. 

Hes not in Coutinho/Silva class dont get me wrong,  but in a more intelligent attacking team he would be very very useful. 

I can't see him ever being very very useful on a consistent basis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

To think at one time people on here were crying out for him to be in the starting eleven . Now look , he's the worse player ever . You gotta love the fickle .

I think we've been through this with all of the players that weren't playing. It comes from the desperate hope that the ones that aren't playing will be better than the ones that are. Look at Kozak for example, how many people were calling for his inclusion? How could he constantly be overlooked? Now we know why. 

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Why is always everyone else's fault but Gil's to some people? Why the constant 'if he was in a better team...?'

He is not good enough to play for a better team. We had better players than Gil ten years ago in our reserves.

Those are some nice jokes and all, but he did play for a better team before us and you'll probably see him in one after we get relegated. 

57 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

but he did play for a better team before us and you'll probably see him in one after we get relegated. 

In fairness I wouldn't say he played for a better team than us as he hardly played. He came from Valencia where made 2 league starts in total both in 2014/15 before being sold to us. Prior to that he played a couple of seasons on loan at Elche one of those in the Spanish second division.

I like Gil as he is a trier and there is no doubting he is a skilful player but as others have alluded to he has zero pace and no strength and without both he will always struggle. He is too easily bullied out of games which means, as we have found, his impact most of the time is minimal.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I didn't watch the Liverpool game so if the consensus was he was poor, fair enough.

I was in my local on Sunday night, which is run by a Liverpool fan. While he slated the team, the only Villa player he gave anything approaching praise to was Gil.

Carles obviously has his limitations and his "nice" football can only yield so much, those criticisms are probably fair and accurate. 

But as just stated, he is a trier, appears to have a good attitude (or at least better than most of our lot) and while he may only have minimal impact, at the moment he's one of the few players we have who is capable of having any impact at all. 

57 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I didn't watch the Liverpool game so if the consensus was he was poor, fair enough.

I was in my local on Sunday night, which is run by a Liverpool fan. While he slated the team, the only Villa player he gave anything approaching praise to was Gil.

Carles obviously has his limitations and his "nice" football can only yield so much, those criticisms are probably fair and accurate. 

But as just stated, he is a trier, appears to have a good attitude (or at least better than most of our lot) and while he may only have minimal impact, at the moment he's one of the few players we have who is capable of having any impact at all. 

Yeah the one piece of quality we produced in the match was a run he made at the start of the second half where he picked the ball up on the right near the halfway line, shrugged a few challenges off, beat two or three men and carried the ball toward the edge of the box.  The move came to nothing in the end though unsurprisingly.  He's still the only one who can produce a moment of magic whilst Traore and Ayew are unavailable.  I hold hope when those two are back we can at least produce something exciting before the end of the season.

Â