Carles Gil

bose

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I like Gil as he is a trier and there is no doubting he is a skilful player but as others have alluded to he has zero pace and no strength and without both he will always struggle. He is too easily bullied out of games which means, as we have found, his impact most of the time is minimal.

Very much this. Got it exactly right.

• Like 2

He is one of only a few who will make themselves available for the ball, all tries and can produce that moment of magic. You do wonder how he would look in a team that has better movement and more of an attacking threat so he could release the ball earlier. I guess we will find out at some point when he isnt wearing a claret & blue jersey.

• Like 4

he'll be no good in the championship.

Referees (appear to be) even more relaxed when it comes to physicality, we'll often play on pitches that are nowhere near as good and in stadiums much smaller (more open to the elements).

We'll need a group of players with ability yes but also with fight and strength to get out of that division.

As others have said, his technical ability is not strong enough to compensate for his lack of speed and physicality. 

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

If Hoolahan can do fine in the championship, so can Gil. He just needs to find what works for him in this league. 

but Hoolahan played a lot of his career in Ireland, Scotland and lower leagues in England and is more well built. He also rarely plays away games for Norwich

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I feel sorry for him sometimes, very good little player but too lightweight, gets pushed off the ball too easy.

I agree, he's a cracking little player, but just doesn't work in this team. If we had Taylor and Townsend in midfield winning the ball instead of the current load of wank we currently have he'd do well.

It's unfortunate for him that he get's no support at all when he's on the ball and get's crowded out far too easily. The obvious class of his goals against Leicester and Sunderland show what he can do and will do in a better team.

I doubt Carles will be a Villa player after this season. Very dissapointing. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

but Hoolahan played a lot of his career in Ireland, Scotland and lower leagues in England and is more well built. He also rarely plays away games for Norwich

Maybe we should get our Carles in the gym and on the protein! (STEROIDS). lol

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

When Grealish came into the team, he wasn't being pushed off the ball. Instead Grealish was getting his body in front of the ball, and drawing a lot of fouls that way. I doubt Grealish is stronger than Gil. Gil just needs to learn positioning. I mean Silva, Navas, Oscar, Coutinho, Young, Bojan, Mata, Lamela, and even Erikson are all pretty weak players. They use their positioning to maintain possession or their quick dribbling. If they can thrive in the league, then so can Gil. 

• Like 1

Silva, Navas, Oscar, Coutinho, Young, Bojan, Mata, Lamela, and even Erikson are all pretty weak players. They use their positioning to maintain possession or their quick dribbling. If they can thrive in the league, then so can Gil. 

Only if he's as good as them.

Which he isn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Czechlad said:

When Grealish came into the team, he wasn't being pushed off the ball. Instead Grealish was getting his body in front of the ball, and drawing a lot of fouls that way. I doubt Grealish is stronger than Gil. Gil just needs to learn positioning. I mean Silva, Navas, Oscar, Coutinho, Young, Bojan, Mata, Lamela, and even Erikson are all pretty weak players. They use their positioning to maintain possession or their quick dribbling. If they can thrive in the league, then so can Gil. 

true but all them players are a lot better and more intelligent than Gil, Bojan for example was crap in many other European leagues and came to England and thrived straight away. Grealish is mentally stronger than Gil for me and his experience at Notts County helped

if club had any sense they would send Gil on loan to Championship now

23 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Silva, Navas, Oscar, Coutinho, Young, Bojan, Mata, Lamela, and even Erikson

All miles better than Gil, he wont ever be anywhere near as good as any of them

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

B...b...b.....but he is Spanish and left footed. He must be.

He looked class in his first couple of appearances. I'd probably never been more excited than any other debut coming off the bench. He's also scored some worldies for us and has put in some very decent performances.

Granted we haven't see this enough and he's gone off the boil quite a bit recently. But I think that those who do rate him or like him as a player do so because of what he's done on the pitch and nothing else.

On 20 February 2016 at 17:17, myko said:

He looked class in his first couple of appearances. I'd probably never been more excited than any other debut coming off the bench. He's also scored some worldies for us and has put in some very decent performances.

Granted we haven't see this enough and he's gone off the boil quite a bit recently. But I think that those who do rate him or like him as a player do so because of what he's done on the pitch and nothing else.

In his first few appearances he looked to go forward immediately, he also seemed very confident. I genuinely believe it's us as a club who take this out of players, either through our coaching or just the lack of confidence through always losing. Can you imagine bombing forward, beating a player and then when you look to release the ball, everybody is still walking up from the half way line? It'd put you off going forward like that. When he first came here he always looked to beat his man and then get to an attacking area, not so much now. But as has been said, he always looks for the ball, most of our players look like they're shying away from the ball, as if they're thinking 'don't pass to me'. I'm sick of seeing this, players looking for someone to pass to because all our players are hiding away behind an opposition player. I genuinely think he'd be class in a better team.

• Like 2

Â