Carles Gil

bose

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 23:24, villa4europe said:

Tin hat time, if a mid table la live team offered us £2-3m for him then I'd have no issue with him going

Fully Aggree - totally flatters to deceive................... IMO he is a complete luxury player that you build your team around to get the best out of, but he just isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant building our side around as he does next to **** all when he does play...........

Given the praise Gil gets on this forum compared to other players he is certainly overrated....he has a good sub cameo here and there but how often does he do something when he actually starts games?

And I was one of those who was begging for him to be involved this time last year when Sherwood started to exclude him. But we had a much better forward line then so players he could work well with.

I think if Jack Grealish starts to actually want to act like a professional footballer and knuckle down properly he would have a much bigger impact in the championship than Gil so of the two I'd rather keep Jack.

• Like 1

In a settled team that has a bit more confidence and isn't losing drastically week in week out, and when played in a central role Gil would be plenty good enough. The reason he is getting so easily knocked off the ball is he is picking up the ball in the final third and defenders just converge on him as our front line is non existent, there is no-one to occupy defenders, to threaten, to pull players out of position. Only Ayew maybe. Gabby and Gestede are never going to offer a great deal, Kozak had more presence but no finish.

People forget the flashes of movement and ability that were shown between Gil and Grealish the handful of times they both started, now that maybe a tenuous thing to hold onto but in a season of despair and regret i'll take anything. The game against Leicester they showed that, shame our defence was a shambles.

No-one is suggesting he is brilliant - he isn't, merely above average and possesses a footballing brain, if he had some movement ahead of him then the fact he is lightweight or lacking pace wouldn't matter as much. Ever since MON left we've had this hatred for creative players, anyone who isn't a dyed in the wool clogger throwing their body on the line is 'luxury' and 'overrated.'

It's a weak argument.

Vertout is supposed to be this technical French future international, yet he's shown barely any of that for us. Doesn't mean he is crap.

Whereas Sinclair we know has some skill in his locker yet doesn't show anything.

If everyone was fit and no rifts, suspensions and chronic loss of form, i would love to see what Garde could get out of our best eleven. I feel if Amavi, Ayew, Traore, Grealish and Gil were all available we would possibly see something different to the shite we see every week.

• Like 2

As much as I like Gil, I don't think he will cut it in the Championship. He gets muscled off he ball too easily in this league, so down there with the ugly bruisers we'll be up against, he'll barely touch the ball!

26 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

As much as I like Gil, I don't think he will cut it in the Championship. He gets muscled off he ball too easily in this league, so down there with the ugly bruisers we'll be up against, he'll barely touch the ball!

I don't see much of the Championship. Genuine question. Is this still the general standard?

It's a complete myth cloggers do well in The Championship...if we go down that route you can bet we won't be up any time soon.

Their mostly cloggers and Hull have the best flair players, and surprise they sit top. 

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

I agree with supernova on this one.

This idea that the Championship is full of brilliant tacklers is truly nonsense. It's full of deeply average defenders, many of whom bottle challenges. The perception that it's incredibly physical might be an artefact of the higher-proportion of badly-timed challenges put in by worse defenders. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gil should fare better against Ethan Ebanks-Landell than against Ryan Shawcross, and it would be barking to think otherwise. If he can't shine in the Championship he truly is over-rated garbage. 

• Like 1

Being lightweight isn't the reason Gil is struggling, although it exacerbates things, he struggles because PL defenders are excellent defenders, they know where to position themselves to win the ball and they'll get specific training on how best to cope with specific players and they are professional enough to see those instructions through every time. Championship defenders are not as good, therefore Gil will fare far better against them than he is currently, he'll be able to find pockets of space more often and in more dangerous areas and should be able to make himself a few yards to make his passes more easily.

I like Gil, but I don't think he's good enough in his position for the PL, I said before he's basically a left footed Maloney and I still haven't seen anything that goes against that. He's young, and could (hopefully will) improve, but as things stand his level is the Championship which is handy for us next season as I think he could end up really effective for us. Hopefully it'll give him a platform to improve and mature into a PL attacker

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It shows the state of things when we're talking about one of our so called better players possibly being good in the championship. 

Shame we haven't got many players who can be good in the premier league. 

Shame we won't know because we've had 2 incredibly poor managers.

22 hours ago, weedman said:

Being lightweight isn't the reason Gil is struggling, although it exacerbates things, he struggles because PL defenders are excellent defenders, they know where to position themselves to win the ball and they'll get specific training on how best to cope with specific players and they are professional enough to see those instructions through every time.

i think the premiership is the most over-rated league in the world and the majority of defenders are anything but excellent, just my opinion.

There are times Gil has had no issue getting through and past defenders, yet as we've got worse, so has he. Maybe its not just about Gil, even if he is in no way above criticism.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He'll have a bit more time on the ball and will be contending against players with significantly lower footballing IQ, he'll be dangerous at that level. 

but th pitches will be smaller in Championship, going to Rotherham, Brentford or Preston and he will be squeezed out of game

I really don't get this thing about the (supposed) importance of the size of the pitch nowadays. AFAIK the pitch size required by the PL has been 105 x 68 m (roughly 114,8 x 74.4 yards) for several years.

According to www.footballguide.com, (and other sources on the 'net does not disagree too much) those three pitches' dimensions are:

Rotherham: 110 x 72 yards.
Brentford: 110 x 73 yards.
Preston: 110 x 77 yards.

Gil might be up to Championship football, or he might not - but I refuse to believe that the difference - 72, 73 or 74.4 yards will squeeze anyone out of a game. And then there's Preston.

(edit: you might be talking about the difference in pitch length - but would 4.8 yards really make that much of a difference?

Edited by TB
taking pitch length into consideration
  • Like 1

Â