Libor Kozák

samjp26

Really hope he gets a chance as I think he would get a lot of goals with the likes Gil, Grealish and Adama supporting him. He got 3 goals and 1 assist in pre season and was looking good especially vs Wolves where I was really impressed with how he played. He then went and looked way off the pace against Forest and I wonder if he got a knock or was feeling worn out physically after his first proper run of games since the injury, maybe that's why he didn't make the squad vs Bournemouth. I was surprised to see both him and Gestede on the bench vs Utd as it meant leaving out Cole who made the previous 18 and hopefully it means Sherwood has plans to play him.

When someone dismisses or ignores that fact, they lose credibility and it makes it impossible and pointless to attempt an actual discussion about the player. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Clearly. Same applies when someone just picks one aspect to base their judgement on. He has 4 goals in 14 appearances. You can shift it to pretend he scores nearly 1 in 2 but he doesn't and apart from a spell in a weak league and a short spell in Europa cup, never has. So saying he has a knack for scoring goals has nothing to back it up. I might as well say Bennett has a knack for stopping attacking players beating him.

I might repeat myself as this myth about a great goal scorer gets repeated. I haven't ignored what he's done at villa at all. He's scored 4 goals. I'll repeat, 4 goals. Yes he hasn't played much due to his injury but it's 4 goals.

I guess we'll see how his villa career pans out. You'd think if he has a knack for scoring goals it will be a successful one.

I might repeat myself as this myth about a great goal scorer gets repeated. I haven't ignored what he's done at villa at all. He's scored 4 goals. I'll repeat, 4 goals. Yes he hasn't played much due to his injury but it's 4 goals.

I guess we'll see how his villa career pans out. You'd think if he has a knack for scoring goals it will be a successful one.

tumblr_inline_na5kt4x4N21qgt12i.gif

If I can get a bit Ian Holloway for a minute, Kozak is like having a plain looking girlfriend who is good in bed. I can understand that people might want a girlfriend who is more fancy and attractive to show off to their mates, but if she doesn't like doing the nasty you're going to be left with blue balls.

Or maybe it isn't like that. Apologies to women everywhere.

• Like 1

No one called Kozak a great goal scorer. All we have done is highlight the fact that he has a decent goals to minutes ratio. He was not considered a starter when he was fit, yet managed 4 goals in his limited starts. Kozak also scored 3 goals in preseason and got himself an assist. He may still lack match sharpness, but clearly Kozak can be useless so it's silly to immediately write him off without even giving him a fair chance.

No one is saying Kozak is the answer to our problems and no one is saying we should have him starting week in and week out. Most of the fans just want to give him a chance considering he did alright when he was fit and he has worked hard to get himself back into the first team picture. 

Edited by Czechlad
  • Like 1

Yes that is fair criticism which I can completely understand. I have known about Kozak even before Villa, and I am not completely sold on him yet. He makes really good runs and can finish his chances, but I am not sure Kozak even knows how he wants to be played. He is a really tall guy, but he seems to dislike playing as a target striker. I want to see him given a fair chance, and if that doesn't work out, then we at least know we have to replace him. 

4 goals in (insert your favourite number) appearances is far too small a sample size statistically. You are arguing over something simply not worth arguing over. 

From what I have seen with my own eyes, he would have to improve his all round game a lot for me to not be concerned if he becomes first choice striker. It would mean that the new signings haven't panned out, in my opinion. He's got a first touch as if his feet were made of lead and he's cumbersome, he's not a smooth player and I like smooth players. I think he could be a decent impact player going forward, a poacher type for when we are creating chances but can't finish them and I think he will bag a few here and there in limited appearances. Over that I hope he proves me wrong. Heck, I hope he turns out to be a much better footballer than I think and wins the Ballon d'Or! I just think it very unlikely. 

• Like 1

No chance he's good enough to be a week in week out striker from what I've seen.

As an impact sub why not though? Maybe not Man. United game as Gestede came on and barely got a kick so I can understand why Sherwood didn't feel it was neccesary to get him on aswell but if we're losing at Palace this weekend and he's a sub then I'd want him on.

• Like 1

I don't think he's featured enough in a Villa shirt for anyone to really base a definitive opinion on him either way, good or bad.

Even the fact he scored a fair number of goals in the Europa League doesn't tell us that much.

I don't care if he looks ungainly, cumbersome and has a bad touch as long as he scores goals, but then again he didn't really look like that in pre-season, he had a lot more composure than i thought he had, but again 3 games proves nothing. The fact he didn't start when fit isn't a big deal either as he was from a different league and country, still finding his feet.

he might be terrible, but I don't think we've seen enough to make a judgement call either way, despite those of us who seem to be crack Football Manager based talent scouts/experts.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

I'd personally like to see him given a chance to be a squad player at least. I don't think he's done anything to deserve being part of the new "bomb squad". And I don't understand how any fan could hate him based on what he's done so far.

Quite frankly, he hasn't played enough games in a row at Villa for anyone to know just how effective he can be. As opposed to someone like Nzogbia who had plenty of game time and is now universally recognised as a waste of space (for us).

The fact he seems to have a knack for scoring goals (although its not for certain) suggests to me that he could an effective sub - dare I say in the mould of Tore Andre Flo or Solskaer - not first choice by any means, but a useful player to have around. And I think he would probably be quite happy with that role.

Realistically, if we don't sign another striker and Gestede picks up an injury - who is going to lead our line or get on the end of crosses?

Like someone else said though, if he doesn't get a chance in the next few games, the writing is probably on the wall for him.

I am always a bit dubious of tall centre forwards as they can appear a bit lumbering/clumsy and unless they are great readers of the game, slow to get in to position, sure once they are there, they are hard to shift.

I think the game now requires far more movement than they are able to offer.....after all they have a huge frame to carry around....also forwards who are slightly smaller c 5'11 to 6'1 tend to be able to double up as Forwards with interplay and strikers.

There are always exceptions like Ibrahimovic who at 6' 5 has the technique of smaller players.....and our own John Carew had moments of guile that would defy his size.....but generally i think they struggle for movement.

Kozak for me appears a bit on the slow side, not a criticism more an observation, but I ask myself do we need 2 in the squad with Gestede and Gestede to me so far, looks a bit more mobile and driven.

Â