Manchester United

BOF

I wonder how many years without success it'd take for the overseas fans and the ridiculous sponsorship deals to dry up and start to hurt their revenue in the long term

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder how many years without success it'd take for the overseas fans and the ridiculous sponsorship deals to dry up and start to hurt their revenue in the long term

Maybe something a demographic fandom survey could indicate. Do the kids give a shit about the Fergie years? I don't think so.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

probably more than you'd think.

man utd is a huge brand name. there's probably a pretty huge number of kids in man u shirts around the world that have no idea where they are in the league

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Undoubtedly, Man Utd are a shadow of the outfit they once were. No question. However, they're having their worst era in the prem whilst we witness two of the greatest ever teams, let alone prem teams, dominate English football. I think that this puts Utd's 'decline' into a much worse perspective, given their, and the media's, determination to put all the sky 6 clubs in the same bracket. Gary Neville always makes a reference to Utd catching up with the top 2 when they play Utd.

For all the time Fergie's team owned the league, only once did they get more than 90 points. City, Liverpool, and Chelsea have all done this 2 or 3 times, with City likely to do it again this year. The top 4 points totals have all come in the last 5 years. In fact, only twice do Fergie's Utd team come into the top 10 of points totals since the prem began, with 1 of those to drop out if City reach 91 points or more. I'm not saying Utd under Fergie didn't achieve, I'm just trying to say what we're witnessing from Liverpool and City is truly remarkable, and I think this only makes Utd's situation worse (I'm well aware Chelsea and City achieved these totals due to financial doping, but that's for another thread).

Utd, are having their worst season ever. But how many other teams would give their back eye teeth to have had a good run in Europe, finish top half, have one of the world's greatest ever players in the squad, and likely to spend big again in the summer? Once they sort out the backroom team (directors, key staff etc), start pulling in the same direction as a whole, then they'll come good again. Unfortunately.

Yes, this is a good point. The league is much more unequal between top and bottom than it used to be.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

probably more than you'd think.

man utd is a huge brand name. there's probably a pretty huge number of kids in man u shirts around the world that have no idea where they are in the league

I think this is fair. For example I cant name many Basketball teams, Dodgers (maybe LA Dodgers) and Chicago Bulls. But for Chicago I can tell you the colour, the logo and their best players from 30 years ago (not because of the documentary). 

Unfortunately previous success at the right time does build a brand that lasts, I have no idea how good they are now but the only team id get jersey of is Chicago Bulls. I wouldnt though as Id look like a clearing in the woods wearing a basketball top. 

United will survive as a big brand for a long time, as big as they once were probably not. They grew and succeeded at the right time, annoyingly as challengers a time when Aston Villa failed. 

Long may their failure continue. 

On 09/05/2022 at 15:47, osmark86 said:

If you need a pick me up today...

Bunch of entitled chunts. Never occurs to them to give any credit to Brighton, who were magnificent on the day. Not too many Lancashire accents there either. God I’m glad I had a Dad who made sure I supported the team from the City I was born in. Great clip by the way, loved it.

• Like 1

My worry is, that Ten Hag actually comes in, clears the decks, and buys some top players.

I was hoping they would continue their decline, but im not so sure with Ten Hag.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

My worry is, that Ten Hag actually comes in, clears the decks, and buys some top players.

I was hoping they would continue their decline, but im not so sure with Ten Hag.

If they have the patience to allow him to completely rebuild the place i agree, But I don’t think he’ll get the time. His style won’t suit a single player in that Utd team. 

There are 9/10 players in that side that aren’t good enough to be challenging plop/city, the whole squad needs ripping to pieces. 

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It depends. He will want players that play his way. Others at the club want players that generates clicks

On 09/05/2022 at 11:44, osmark86 said:

Maybe something a demographic fandom survey could indicate. Do the kids give a shit about the Fergie years? I don't think so.

It's not about success, it's about signing the "big" names and players who are good in FIFA. Ronaldo and pogboy are prime examples. Sign instagram likes, not good players,to make money.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

They need 7-8 new players, it's a scale of rebuild we had in summer 2015 so let's hope it goes that way.

I think a bit like arteta if he can identify the main culprits (pogba) and bomb them off and then get himself a core of talented youngsters who put a shift in every week he'll do ok

Arteta is obviously lucky that he has saka, ESR etc utd need to find their own

And behind the scenes should be far better with the other changes that they've made

So my hope is that their fans continue to be **** assholes and moan about the yanks every week

On 09/05/2022 at 13:27, Nicho said:

I think this is fair. For example I cant name many Basketball teams, Dodgers (maybe LA Dodgers) and Chicago Bulls. But for Chicago I can tell you the colour, the logo and their best players from 30 years ago (not because of the documentary). 

Unfortunately previous success at the right time does build a brand that lasts, I have no idea how good they are now but the only team id get jersey of is Chicago Bulls. I wouldnt though as Id look like a clearing in the woods wearing a basketball top. 

United will survive as a big brand for a long time, as big as they once were probably not. They grew and succeeded at the right time, annoyingly as challengers a time when Aston Villa failed. 

Long may their failure continue. 

Because of NBA Jam on the Megadrive?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think a bit like arteta if he can identify the main culprits (pogba) and bomb them off and then get himself a core of talented youngsters who put a shift in every week he'll do ok

Arteta is obviously lucky that he has saka, ESR etc utd need to find their own

And behind the scenes should be far better with the other changes that they've made

So my hope is that their fans continue to be **** assholes and moan about the yanks every week

They'll have to sign those youngsters.

Guess someone like Dalot is still classed as a youngster, desperate player. As limited as Wan Bissaka is still a superior FB to that guy.

McTominay still isn't that old but limitations to his game been exposed in last 18 months. If he's still starting games for them next season then shows they've messed up another transfer window.

Elanga has potential...but so did Januazj a decade ago and his level was squad player at 6th/7th place team in Spain.

Sancho is barometer I think. Played a bit better after xmas but still way off his Bundesliga form but probably someone Ten Haag will back to get more out of.

Rest are just 17/18 years old aren't they?

Perhaps James Garner will get more of a chance but he's unproven in prem and in ideal world they'd have another years loan at Nottingham Forest if they come up.

It's really going to take three transfer windows I think for them to get seriously back in business and that's provided they get majority of transfers right which is no easy task these days.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

a core of talented youngsters who put a shift in every week.

That won't satisfy the official noodle partner. He'll be forced to buy star names whether he wants them or not. 

41 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That won't satisfy the official noodle partner. He'll be forced to buy star names whether he wants them or not. 

That's the big appointment, the guy that replaced Woodward in Jan, he at least looks qualified 

Â