VillaGoMarching

Spurs are a solid top 6 outfit these days, they've come a long way in the last 5 years or so. They should be very pleased with top 6 considering it took them 14 Premier League seasons before they managed to finish in it.

Spurs fan would moan if they won the pissing league, the FA cup and the CL.

"Yeah we won the treble but facking hell we dent pick up the league cup. INSERTMANAGERHERE out!!"

Spurs fans do indeed like to moan, probably not much more than other fan groups but I do find it embarrasing at times. 
Especially when it comes to our own players, if we had the world XI as our starting line up you can be sure there'd be a group of supporters taking it out on the "weak" link in the line up. 

6th could very well be our position this season, but we're competitive with at least Liverpool and will give them a fight. 

Spurs are the 6th richest club with the 6th highest wage bill, so it's natural that we'll be around there in the long run. 
However, we've performed better than that for 6 seasons now so it's nothing wrong with being disappointed if we fall down to 6th. 

Finished 5th last  season, above Liverpool, we've finished above Liverpool in 5 of the last 6 seasons. 

Our final positions last six seasons: 5 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 4

6th can be a decent season for us, if the play is entertaining and there's several young players coming through, but we should definitely aim higher.

There's been a negative net spend at Spurs for years now, we used a lot of money to build our squad years back, and we've lived on it since. 
Sold players that get too big for us and those who have flopped, reinvested the money. It's allowed us to pay down the world class academy and training center we've built.

And help us in the planning and construction of the new stadium. I dont expect us to spend much above what we sell for, and that's okey to be honest. 

We have an incredible line of youth players coming through, and have taken a decision to sell a lot of the depth players in the squad to make sure that the younger players get game time. 
Bentaleb had his breakthrough last season, expect more from him this season. Also look out for Dele Alli, Joshua Onomah, Alex Pritchard and perhaps guys like Harry Winks and Nathan Oduwa. 

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Milos Veljkovic are also incredible talents, but face a lot of competition at central defence. Bit early probably for perhaps the two most talented academy players Marcus Edwards and Ismail Azzaoui.

Probably not finished in the transfer market though, we wait on confirmation of Adebayor and Soldado transfers to get new guys in on top. 
And most believe we'll also sign a central midfielder. Personally I hope for Christoph Kramer and Timo Werner, Kramer will be difficult to land but we should have money that could make it possible.

Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer and Alli (january) look like great signings so far.

Edited by rosenthal

Spurs are similar to Arsenal in a way in that they seem to be content with being just outside the top 4 (and Arsenal just inside it). If I were Levy, I would invest in 3 or 4 marquee signings and really try to push on and break that glass ceiling. What are the ambitions up there? Surely having Kane as your only (wanted) striker going into the season is not a plan for success. Surely a 14M bid for Dzeko for example wouldn't have gone amiss and would have been an excellent signing. Also, for the first time in a long while, their midfield is nothing to write home about both in quality and quantity (Bentaleb looks good though, but he needs to be surrounded with better quality than Mason). If I were a Spurs fan I'd be really disappointed with how this season is shaping up.

Edited by Keyblade

I'm no great lover of Spurs, but I do hope they finish ahead of Liverpool this season.

Spurs do seem to be in an awkward position, a very good side, no doubt, but not quite top four - breaking into that final tier is very difficult even from where Spurs are (and have been for the last five years or so) - I'd like to see them win the Europa, I think an English winner (especially a London based media favourite) would add some value to a competition we'd still like to be in at some point in the near future.

Spurs fans do indeed like to moan, probably not much more than other fan groups but I do find it embarrasing at times. 

Especially when it comes to our own players, if we had the world XI as our starting line up you can be sure there'd be a group of supporters taking it out on the "weak" link in the line up. 

6th could very well be our position this season, but we're competitive with at least Liverpool and will give them a fight. 

Spurs are the 6th richest club with the 6th highest wage bill, so it's natural that we'll be around there in the long run. 

However, we've performed better than that for 6 seasons now so it's nothing wrong with being disappointed if we fall down to 6th. 

Finished 5th last  season, above Liverpool, we've finished above Liverpool in 5 of the last 6 seasons. 

Our final positions last six seasons: 5 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 4

6th can be a decent season for us, if the play is entertaining and there's several young players coming through, but we should definitely aim higher.

There's been a negative net spend at Spurs for years now, we used a lot of money to build our squad years back, and we've lived on it since. 

Sold players that get too big for us and those who have flopped, reinvested the money. It's allowed us to pay down the world class academy and training center we've built.

And help us in the planning and construction of the new stadium. I dont expect us to spend much above what we sell for, and that's okey to be honest. 

We have an incredible line of youth players coming through, and have taken a decision to sell a lot of the depth players in the squad to make sure that the younger players get game time. 

Bentaleb had his breakthrough last season, expect more from him this season. Also look out for Dele Alli, Joshua Onomah, Alex Pritchard and perhaps guys like Harry Winks and Nathan Oduwa. 

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Milos Veljkovic are also incredible talents, but face a lot of competition at central defence. Bit early probably for perhaps the two most talented academy players Marcus Edwards and Ismail Azzaoui.

Probably not finished in the transfer market though, we wait on confirmation of Adebayor and Soldado transfers to get new guys in on top. 

And most believe we'll also sign a central midfielder. Personally I hope for Christoph Kramer and Timo Werner, Kramer will be difficult to land but we should have money that could make it possible.

Trippier, Alderweireld, Wimmer and Alli (january) look like great signings so far.

Apart from Liverpool's ludicrous last game, they were generally pretty good defensively last season, especially during their 17-game unbeaten run, and their problem was scoring enough. By contrast, even though you guys only ended up scoring five more goals, that rarely seemed to be your issue, especially after Kane. So it seems like one way of guessing who might finish higher is to wonder whether Alderweireld and Trippier will be more effective signings than Benteke and Firmino. I don't think they will be personally, but I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong. 

Midfield is nowhere near the quality of what they had 3 years.....Lennon (when he was decent).....Modric.....Parker/Sandro.........Bale.

They were just about making top 4 then so think it's unreasonable to expect them to do it now, think they'll be a big points gulf between the top 5 and then.

Was going to ask Rosenthal if he reckons Pritchard will actually get some decent minutes as I've enjoyed watching him in his loan spells lower down and in fairness Poch isn't afraid throwing in young players.

Welcome back Rosenthal, don't always agree with you but always good to read your posts on your team.

I kind of see a bit of a similarity between Spurs now and Arsenal of a few years ago, not in terms of the level of the team more the circumstances around the club.

Spurs seem to be gearing up more for building the club and its infrastructure and facilities for the long term rather than the team for the short term. Much the same as when Arsenal built their new stadium.

I suspect Spurs might go backwards a little in the short to medium term on the pitch before moving forward as a club. Its just a question of if the man with the name I can't spell can do a Wenger in the meantime.

Based on the ridiculous (money spinning) friendly they played today and the other tomorrow I agree

Haven't seen the line ups but I'd be surprised if they didn't put a decent squad out given who they've played, Utd on Saturday after playing twice this week...

And for me they seem to be basing their potential success on Kane repeating his form of last year which I think he'll do well again but probably not that well, I think they've stood still this summer which in the prem is a dangerous thing to do

And for me they seem to be basing their potential success on Kane repeating his form of last year which I think he'll do well again but probably not that well, I think they've stood still this summer which in the prem is a dangerous thing to do

100% agree.

Didn't his goals dry right up towards the end of the season? Maybe more teams will have the measure of him this time around. Plus he's now a lot richer than he was this time last year, be interesting to see if it effects his desire.

100% agree.

Didn't his goals dry right up towards the end of the season? Maybe more teams will have the measure of him this time around. Plus he's now a lot richer than he was this time last year, be interesting to see if it effects his desire.

scored 7 in the last 11 games (hat trick in one game though). He doesnt come across as someone who cares all that much about money. Hes very hard working. He isnt really amazing at anything, just good at everything which allows him to score all type of goals

Edited by gharperr

He reminds me of Torres (in his Liverpool days) in the way that, if he can get a shot on goal, he will.

That automatically makes him a dangerous forward you can't take your attention for a second.

He really should comfortably score 18 league goals this season, he's the main man, his team mates trust him and he will be given lots of opportunities.

• Like 1

Spurs always seem to be rebuilding for their next big assault on the top 4, which never really happens. Strange club, and they seem to be standing still this summer. A lower final league position is likely.

Â