VillaGoMarching

I think Spurs might struggle this season for me they are miles behind Liverpool now for example.

For me Chelsea,Man city,United,Arse,Liverpool are miles better than the rest of the league.

maqroll, on 07 Aug 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:snapback.png

Spurs always seem to be rebuilding for their next big assault on the top 4, which never really happens. Strange club, and they seem to be standing still this summer. A lower final league position is likely.

Well, we've been fairly successful in our assault on top 4, twice in six years. But we're not allowed to build on our team, someone bigger will always come and take the top players away from us, not that easy to find the next Modric, Bale etc. all the time. 
Financial doped clubs (City and Chelsea) and the matter of it only being 4 Champions League spots when arguably 6 of the clubs in the league are among the top 20 in european football has created a glass ceiling which it's difficult to penetrate. Just because we haven't gone on a shopping spree this summer (didn't help us much post Bale) doesn't mean we stand still though, in fact with the new stadium on its way we're taking the biggest step forward we possibly has ever done. And when it comes to the sporting side of it we have faith in our academy players coming through. We sell internationals this summer because we believe the youth will deliever better than them.

Not sure what you mean with lower final league position, it's possible to drop a spot or two yes, but I see it as almost impossible to finish below 7.

I think Spurs might struggle this season for me they are miles behind Liverpool now for example.

For me Chelsea,Man city,United,Arse,Liverpool are miles better than the rest of the league.

Don't agree about Liverpool at all, I look at their starting line up and there's hardly anyone I'd take over the Spurs alternative. 

Lloris - Mignolet

Trippier - Clyne

Alderweireld - Skrtel

Vertonghen - Sakho

Rose - Moreno

Alli - Henderson

Bentaleb - Can

Dembele - Milner

Lamela - Firmino

Eriksen - Coutinho

Kane - Benteke

villa4europe, on 04 Aug 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:snapback.png

Based on the ridiculous (money spinning) friendly they played today and the other tomorrow I agree

Haven't seen the line ups but I'd be surprised if they didn't put a decent squad out given who they've played, Utd on Saturday after playing twice this week...

We rotated in the mid week, most got games, few got full games. Kane only played tuesday, Chadli was striker against Milan.
The Milan game was more or less a back up team aside from 2-3 players.

VillaChris, on 04 Aug 2015 - 9:33 PM, said:snapback.png

Was going to ask Rosenthal if he reckons Pritchard will actually get some decent minutes as I've enjoyed watching him in his loan spells lower down and in fairness Poch isn't afraid throwing in young players.

Big hopes for Pritchard this season, but he's missed out the entire summer preparation due to the injury he picked up on England U21 duty which will hamper him and his opportunity.
Not back to full fitnesss yet. Reckon he'll get minutes in the Europa League, will be up to him if he can force himself into the team from that like Harry Kane did last season.

TrentVilla, on 04 Aug 2015 - 9:50 PM, said:snapback.png

Welcome back Rosenthal, don't always agree with you but always good to read your posts on your team.

I kind of see a bit of a similarity between Spurs now and Arsenal of a few years ago, not in terms of the level of the team more the circumstances around the club.

Spurs seem to be gearing up more for building the club and its infrastructure and facilities for the long term rather than the team for the short term. Much the same as when Arsenal built their new stadium.

I suspect Spurs might go backwards a little in the short to medium term on the pitch before moving forward as a club. Its just a question of if the man with the name I can't spell can do a Wenger in the meantime.

Thanks Trent.

Think you're fairly spot on with your thoughts around our situation. 

We will definitely not be a regular top 4 team in coming years, we're in a different situation than Wenger was with Arsenal. That said I still think we can squeeze in once or twice.

So during the stadium building Spurs won't deliver similiar sporting results as Arsenal did, but we have other beneficial sides to its financing in that there's more money in the game now than back then and that we should be able to generate far better sponsorship deals to it than they could.

Edited by rosenthal

Don't agree about Liverpool at all, I look at their starting line up and there's hardly anyone I'd take over the Spurs alternative. 

Lloris - Mignolet

Trippier - Clyne

Alderweireld - Skrtel

Vertonghen - Sakho

Rose - Moreno

Alli - Henderson

Bentaleb - Can

Dembele - Milner

Lamela - Firmino

Eriksen - Coutinho

Kane - Benteke

Lloris - Mignolet

Trippier - Clyne

Alderweireld - Skrtel

Vertonghen - Sakho

Rose - Moreno

Alli - Henderson

Bentaleb - Can

Dembele - Milner

Lamela - Firmino

Eriksen - Coutinho

Kane - Benteke

Thats who i would take and the all greyed are equal.

• Like 1

in fact with the new stadium on its way

This is the big IF for both Liverpool and Spurs. As it stands they can't compete for CL and will never be able to. IF they can start filling a 60K seat stadium every week then they will be at the same level as Arsenal. The outstanding issue is how these new stadiums get funded. Arsenal are already over the financial hump, will Liverpool/Spurs be servicing a huge stadium debt for the first ~5 years that it's opened? It's going to be very hard if not impossible to service that debt without the CL money that Arsenal had coming in. Basically Spurs and Liverpool are speculating to accumulate but where the investment money is coming from and how it's going to be paid back is what will decide their fate.

I hope Liverpool crash and burn. Spurs I'm not hugely bothered by.

Edited by villa89

Rosenthal, what's your thoughts on possibly playing in Milton Keynes for a season if Wembley isn't allowed?

It's unavoidable I guess but can't help feeling that playing 38 away games that season will see Spurs's league position dip quite a bit and see the top 4 pull even further away.

It only takes one bad year for things to start to go wrong....see us in 10/11 although the decisions taken that summer probably set the tone more for last 4 years.

Lloris - Mignolet

Trippier - Clyne

Alderweireld - Skrtel

Vertonghen - Sakho

Rose - Moreno

Alli - Henderson

Bentaleb - Can

Dembele - Milner

Lamela - Firmino

Eriksen - Coutinho

Kane - Benteke

IMO, players I'd rather start in bold:

Lloris - Mignolet

Trippier - Clyne

Alderweireld - Skrtel

Vertonghen - Sakho

Rose - Moreno

Alli (shouldn't this be Mason?) - Henderson

Bentaleb - Can

Dembele - Milner

Lamela - Firmino

Eriksen - Coutinho

Kane - Benteke

4 to you, 7 to them, almost a wash but they're ahead by a nose for me. I guess a couple of those might be controversial, so to explain, while I think Kane is an excellent player, I think Benteke is a more complete striker and has proven it over a longer period. I feel Vertonghen was disappointing last season, while Sakho just seems to me to be a slow-settler, I think he'll be the clearly better player in twelve months' time. Eriksen and Coutinho was difficult too, and I really do rate Eriksen, but he does seem to occasionally have whole games where he totally disappears. 

Then if you think about squad depth, I think they have the edge there as well. For me, they'll finish above you this season, but it probably won't be by that much. 

Spur's back 5 is better than what Liverpool put out....not a huge fan of Rose but Liverpool are weak at left back aswell (talk Joe Gomez will play at Stoke) but Toby, Vertonghen, Trippier and Lloris is very good unit for a non top 4 team.

It's the rest of the team where it falls apart for Spurs....Benteke is better than Kane. Milner is better than the kids they put out there, Coutinho is a little more consistant than Eriksen at the moment.

Point Rosenthal is missing is that Liverpool just have much better strength in depth which as we saw in our seasons fighting for top 4 is often the difference in the end.

If they just play Benteke upfront then they have Sturridge, Ings and Firmino who isn't fit yet as back up options.

Spurs have nothing to back up Kane with Adebayor and Soldado out of the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe but think confidence is hard to win back no matter what league, Shevchenko was never really the same player after he failed at Chelsea

He wasn't the same player when arrived, same as Torres both were signed when past their best.

• Like 1

Â