Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is why I have no sympathy for people who get caught; not because I don't speed, I do, all of the time, but you see police vans and speed cameras from a mile away so if you're paying too little attention to see them and you're going too fast, you definitely deserve the fine

In 20 years i’ve never been caught speeding in this country. I got caught once in Germany and that’s because the sneaky buggers hide cameras in bushes on country roads. 

• Like 1

I used to do around 40000 miles a year before all the WFH started, an I can tell you, unless you drive like Miss daisy everywhere, which is dangerous in itself, being on the road everyday, you will get caught. There are so many cameras, safety vans, randoms with speed guns. May not be believable, but through my experience, it's not just for safety, they are literally out to get you. 

The road from Bassetts pole to the Belfry has just had new cameras installed, not just in certain blackspots though, all the way down.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I used to do around 40000 miles a year before all the WFH started, an I can tell you, unless you drive like Miss daisy everywhere, which is dangerous in itself, being on the road everyday, you will get caught. There are so many cameras, safety vans, randoms with speed guns. May not be believable, but through my experience, it's not just for safety, they are literally out to get you. 

The road from Bassetts pole to the Belfry has just had new cameras installed, not just in certain blackspots though, all the way down.

Really? I used to drive that route every day and it was basically auto pilot, didnt have to think about anything as it was camera free.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

In 20 years i’ve never been caught speeding in this country. I got caught once in Germany and that’s because the sneaky buggers hide cameras in bushes on country roads. 

UK 4 times (although none in the last 20 years)

France x4

Germany

Spain

US

Canada

Mozambique

The last one was the only one of note. It involved a possible request for a bribe and my friends in the car driving off because they thought I’d been abducted/shot.

Got Stopped in South Africa ... clearly a back hander was what he was looking for as he fluffed around without actually filling in the paperwork he had in his hand 

finally he said you can pay the fine to me now  or we have to go to the police station and process it and it could take a few hours 

Said to him , that's alright I'm not in a rush lets head on down there  

He looked at me in stunned disbelief and then I said nah only kidding , how much do you want 

love driving abroad , a few yankee $'s and the problem goes away 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Got Stopped in South Africa ... clearly a back hander was what he was looking for as he fluffed around without actually filling in the paperwork he had in his hand 

finally he said you can pay the fine to me now  or we have to go to the police station and process it and it could take a few hours 

He looked at me in stunned disbelief and then I said nah only kidding , how much do you want 

Some colleagues of mine were travelling to Russia about 10 years ago to do some testing on a car. 

At the airport guys asks for the permit for a piece of measuring equipment they had, permit? Yeah, you need a permit for that and it’s $100.

Ok he says, can you do me a receipt (as he’d claim it back)?

If you want a receipt then it’s $200…

Well yeah, I need a receipt to claim it back when I get home

Oh forget it, waves him through :lol: 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is why I have no sympathy for people who get caught; not because I don't speed, I do, all of the time, but you see police vans and speed cameras from a mile away so if you're paying too little attention to see them and you're going too fast, you definitely deserve the fine

Spoken like a man who has never been caught on the Dual Carriageway, national speed limit, A449 around Llantrisant, just as you go over the brow of a hill by a mobile camera parked in a picnic spot at the bottom of the downslope

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Same happened to me thing was the cop phoned his mate who picked us up 5 miles up the road as well

I’ve only been caught speeding once, in France.

They do the main tourist roads up to Calais from the Alps and the south coast.

Very efficient little operation, motorbike waves you off to a service station and you pay an on the spot fine.

No excuses really, I was doing about 160km/h (100mph???) and think got lucky with the speed gun range dipping me below a more serious punishment.

Generally in the UK it seems a bit less strict, especially on motorways. But depends where you are in the country. Yorkshire is really bad for it so I hear.

Edited by KentVillan

I once got done doing 97mph on the A3.  I was silly and I look back at it now thinking what a stupid thing to do.  It was early on a Sunday morning and the road was completely clear.  Nevertheless, silly and dangerous and I won't be doing anything similar ever again. 

I wrote a letter to the Magistrates when it went to prosecution, basically saying I needed to be available for work because of X, Y and Z.  Showed it to my boss (after I sent it) and he said if he was passing judgement after reading that letter, he would have thrown me in jail. 

Edited by trekka
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Xela said:

I've never done a speed awareness course as I'm not a dangerous, law-breaking driver. 

:trollface:

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

images (6).jpeg

I reckon he’s right, if Sir Alex got away with the “I needed the toilet” excuse then surely our Alex could do the same given his renowned bowel condition.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, I was once the passenger in a car doing 125mph when it overtook a police car.

As passenger, my eyes met with those of the policeman driving, I like to think that for that split second we had something real, a genuine connection.

The guy that was driving asked what he should do. I suggested he carried on and didn’t slow down until we lost sight of them. With that, they turned off anyway. Probably had a bag of donuts that needed sorting out.

• Haha 2

Driving by the only barber in town, seeing that there isn't a wait for once, pulling over, walking to the shop, watching someone walk in right before me. 

I feel like Michael Douglas in " Falling Down" right now.

Edit: "Your hair is so f*cked"- The barber

Not really what you want to hear from your barber

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

Â