Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

We took the rugrats out for lunch yesterday at one of ‘the lounges’. They’re fairly relaxed cafe/bars if you don’t know them.

The 2 year old was getting a bit loud and unsettled so Mrs P propped up her phone and put a kids YouTube video on for him to watch whilst we ordered and got the newborn’s bottle ready etc. it worked - it wasn’t on loud and it was keeping him happy. 

Then the waiter came over, placed crayons and a colouring sheet in front of him and then helped him colour in a few things and was getting him to pick and name the colours.

I thought it was quite sweet…but then he turned the phone around and pushed it back towards my wife. It felt like he was trying to show us how to parent. 

It’s one that’s bothering me more thinking back to it than it did at the time. Maybe I read the situation wrong, I don’t know. 

I love lounges and they are normally fantastic there. Something tells me that guy was being a dick. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

"I'm dying" or "Dead here" or any similar exorbitant reaction to portray merriment or mirth on a funny tweet / YouTube video / etc. 

It slays me that such a thing makes you angry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

We took the rugrats out for lunch yesterday at one of ‘the lounges’. They’re fairly relaxed cafe/bars if you don’t know them.

The 2 year old was getting a bit loud and unsettled so Mrs P propped up her phone and put a kids YouTube video on for him to watch whilst we ordered and got the newborn’s bottle ready etc. it worked - it wasn’t on loud and it was keeping him happy. 

Then the waiter came over, placed crayons and a colouring sheet in front of him and then helped him colour in a few things and was getting him to pick and name the colours.

I thought it was quite sweet…but then he turned the phone around and pushed it back towards my wife. It felt like he was trying to show us how to parent. 

It’s one that’s bothering me more thinking back to it than it did at the time. Maybe I read the situation wrong, I don’t know. 

Don't worry about it. We can't all be good parents👍

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I can see both sides but if the volume wasn’t on then fair enough they shouldn’t have done that as it’s out of order but (not aimed at you) it’s a bit annoying when parents give their sprogs a tablet or phone with kids stuff on in a restaurant disturbing everyone else trying to eat and relax. 

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I can see both sides but if the volume wasn’t on then fair enough they shouldn’t have done that as it’s out of order but (not aimed at you) it’s a bit annoying when parents give their sprogs a tablet or phone with kids stuff on in a restaurant disturbing everyone else trying to eat and relax. 

It is annoying but even if it’s loud, the waiter politely asks for the sound to be turned down. No need for him to handle the phone or tablet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Would you prefer a screaming kid?

Before I had I used to think "that's terrible." Now; anything to shut the f****r up

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Speaking of "trash"

A guy in the office came back to work today. I don't like him anyway but this was too much.

In the first encounter I had with him (a team meeting), he "accidentally" used the word "Trash"

"Oh sorry I'm using americanisms, I mean rubbish"

He's been in Florida for two weeks.

What a bloody nonce.

• Haha 1

There is a bit of green opposite out house just along the main road.

It's usually filled with fast food rubbish, cans of alcohol and generally shite people lob into (near) the bush. 

The council have just placed down one of those circular flower box things...

How about cleaning up the rubbish for a start..

14 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I hope you took notes with a spare crayon.

We were on our way to a lounge in Weymouth and literally outside my grandson took a tumble and reacted as if his leg had been severed. He wailed and wailed and wailed. He was still crying when we went in. I didn't know these people, I didn't really care if their lattes were spoiled by a 5 year old crying. Enough to say the waiter came over with crayons and a colouring in sheet, not much good. What did work was Caylus on YouTube. People can be sniffy about kids watching YouTube, but that's how kids watch TV these days. It's no longer a double bill of Tom and jerry and the pink panther show, the singing ringing tree doesn't cut it any more. It's YouTube and if it appears them whilst out and about. I make sure that my phone has charge in it. 

37 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There is a bit of green opposite out house just along the main road.

It's usually filled with fast food rubbish, cans of alcohol and generally shite people lob into (near) the bush. 

The council have just placed down one of those circular flower box things...

How about cleaning up the rubbish for a start..

You misunderstand.  This is an example of your council being efficient and green.

In the old days a wasteful council employee paid a decent wage would have placed the flower box and cleared the rubbish in one visit.   

Today,  a highly efficient flower box installation company (working on behalf of the council) will install the flower box using the employees on a minimum wage.   

At some time in the far future a refuse collection company (working on behalf of the council) will remove the rubbish using employees on a minimum wage. 

Those 2 companies are doubling the vehicles required and number of visits required.  But look what they have saved on the pay bill.  

By introducing 2 visits, 2 sets of vehicles and 2 private companies the Council have introduced efficiency savings that have managed to keep your council tax bill increase to a measly 8%. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

You misunderstand.  This is an example of your council being efficient and green.

In the old days a wasteful council employee paid a decent wage would have placed the flower box and cleared the rubbish in one visit.   

Today,  a highly efficient flower box installation company (working on behalf of the council) will install the flower box using the employees on a minimum wage.   

At some time in the far future a refuse collection company (working on behalf of the council) will remove the rubbish using employees on a minimum wage. 

Those 2 companies are doubling the vehicles required and number of visits required.  But look what they have saved on the pay bill.  

By introducing 2 visits, 2 sets of vehicles and 2 private companies the Council have introduced efficiency savings that have managed to keep your council tax bill increase to a measly 8%. 

Its more likely that the litter is the responsibility of the local town/borough council but the roads and verges are the responsibility of the county council and they don’t really talk to each other.

Many people complain about potholes, streetlights, speed bumps etc to the local borough council who remind them its the responsibility of Staffordshire County Council and they need to direct their complaints there instead.

15 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The Singing Ringing Tree must have caused more psychological damage to children than any other children’s show.  It’s the stuff of nightmares. 

Powerful memories of TSRT, so I bought the DVD of it a few years ago. Very disappointing. Never go back. 

Â