Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Perhaps more recycling would massively cut down the bin bag / bin juice problem?

We have cooked food waste, compost, then all the various bits of recycling. The end result is, we put out about half a black bag of ‘rubbish’ once a fortnight.

I’d suggest we’re fairly average, I’m not a vegan yoghurt nazi, so if we can get down to half a bag a fortnight…

I probably fill just under two bin bags worth of rubbish in the same time period. 

I do 95% of the recycling it’s feasible to do (probably more in reality) and as such I think I’m more diligent than the majority of the population. However I don’t do any food waste composting - there’s not normally much left to do so in all honesty.

So you managing to get it down to half a bin bag a fortnight is extremely commendable but I don’t believe it’s typical of the population.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I probably fill just under two bin bags worth of rubbish in the same time period. 

I do 95% of the recycling it’s feasible to do (probably more in reality) and as such I think I’m more diligent than the majority of the population. However I don’t do any food waste composting - there’s not normally much left to do so in all honesty.

So you managing to get it down to half a bin bag a fortnight is extremely commendable but I don’t believe it’s typical of the population.

Our street have black bin bag collection once a fortnight. The maximum you’re allowed to put out is 2, from looking up and down the street, there aren’t many that put out 2, it’s mostly 1. It probably correlates with whether there are 2 or 4 people in the family.

Our less than one bag per fortnight is not exceptional here. It’s taken a while, but fair play to the council, they’ve got people in to it.

I just did a quick check of the recycling stats for the last year figures were available.

UK gov shows England recycling rate at 45%

Wales recycling rate is 56.5%

Vale of Glamorgan is at 71%

So it’s not me being clever, it’s the council investing in educating folk.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Our street have black bin bag collection once a fortnight. The maximum you’re allowed to put out is 2, from looking up and down the street, there aren’t many that put out 2, it’s mostly 1. It probably correlates with whether there are 2 or 4 people in the family.

Our less than one bag per fortnight is not exceptional here. It’s taken a while, but fair play to the council, they’ve got people in to it.

I just did a quick check of the recycling stats for the last year figures were available.

That’s impressive. I can’t accurately say what people produce where I live, everyone has wheelie bins which could contain up to four or five bin bags. 

From anecdotal observations, I see wheelie bins full - the lid being pushed up, from time to time I’ve accepted some rubbish from a friend who lives nearby and has filled his bin. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I suspect social class has something to do with it too

In our authority there are lots of areas that don't have wheelie bins, all the rubbish is put in bin bags and collected every week. You get delivered 1 bag for every week of the year

It will come as no shock that this Labour council does that in the more deprived areas. Middle class areas get wheelie bins

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

In our authority there are lots of areas that don't have wheelie bins, all the rubbish is put in bin bags and collected every week. You get delivered 1 bag for every week of the year

It will come as no shock that this Labour council does that in the more deprived areas. Middle class areas get wheelie bins

Flintshire and Wrexham have some fairly scruffy areas, their recycling rate is 20% higher than England’s average.

Merthyr has 67% and ‘the Valleys’ as an average is at 65%

I do suspect it’s easier for posh people to buy artisan bread in a brown paper bag, and they will also use the bring your own container shops far more than people that need the cheapest white rice. But I don’t think it’s as statistically significant as persuasion from the local authority.

I reckon your nicer houses have easier access to the outside bins than more deprived housing as a very general assumption. So they’ll (lower end of the housing spectrum) just stick everything in a bin bag and take it out less often.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is one estate by me that has bags rather than wheelie bins like everyone else. That's because there's not vehicle access to a lot of houses. Collection day is horrible there, especially if its windy. Bags opened up by pests, and rubbish scatters all over. First it's put in small localised piles, which are collected by a small van, then in a large pile for the estate for the refuge van.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

There is one estate by me that has bags rather than wheelie bins like everyone else. That's because there's not vehicle access to a lot of houses. Collection day is horrible there, especially if its windy. Bags opened up by pests, and rubbish scatters all over. First it's put in small localised piles, which are collected by a small van, then in a large pile for the estate for the refuge van.

You would imagine it would be like that here with lots of terraced housing etc, except they've blocked off the back alleys specifically for rubbish. Perfectly possible for most place to have wheelie bins, yet bin / bag apartheid persists. It's certainly stopped the rubbish flyine every where, they still didn't give 'em bins though

On 17/04/2022 at 09:46, Mark Albrighton said:

I know I’ve complained about similar before. I’m now going to rant.

Just been on a walk, part of the route included a bridle path. Along the path, I can see a dog walker and a couple of dogs up ahead, about a football pitch’s length away from me. I slowly carry on, and as is so often the case the dogs come bounding over towards me, barking, leaping about. Not sure what sort of dogs they were. Maybe slightly above medium sized dogs. 

I stand to the side, in some sort of vague hope that the dogs lose interest and the owner will come over and calm them down. She shouts them a few times, still about 150 yards away from me and the dogs. The dogs are still interested in me, the one in particular is barking and growling in a fairly unfriendly way. I’m standing still.

The owner disappears at one point, out of my view. The quieter dog has backed away a bit and seems to be going to find her, the more aggressive dog is still bounding about. At one point I was worried that this dog didn’t belong to her at all.

After a few minutes, the dogs reluctantly return to their owner who reappears, still a 150 yards away. I abandon my walk and head back the way I came.

The owner catches up to me in her car and says “Sorry if they upset you”. I don’t reply. I feel that if I said anything it wouldn’t be particularly pleasant so I just shake my head in a contemptuous way and walk on.

Am I being unreasonable here? It seems to me that the unofficial etiquette is if an unleashed dog is impeding a walker, the walker just has to get on with it and the owner takes the view “Well, what can I do about it?”. If I had a dog and it was barking and jumping about at someone, I’d be over there as quickly as I could to keep the dog under control and to provide some reassurance. I don’t want a dog jumping up at me and I wouldn’t assume anyone would be happy to have my hypothetical dog jumping up at them.

I often hear “Oh he won’t hurt you, he’s friendly!”. How the **** am I meant to know that, person I don’t know? So far I’m struggling to see any signs of this alleged sunny disposition of which you speak.

Last summer I stepped out of my car and there was a woman on the sidewalk with an unleashed German Shepherd, a big male. It began to bark and approach me. She said "He's friendly" and the thing jumped up at my face and snapped his jaw right at my nose. He could've ripped my face off. He was sending a warning of course, to not get any closer to his owner. I like all dog breeds, even Dobermans, and a mean Doberman used to terrorize my neighborhood when I was a kid. But German Shepherds are the one breed that intimidate me for some reason. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Speaking of "trash"

A guy in the office came back to work today. I don't like him anyway but this was too much.

In the first encounter I had with him (a team meeting), he "accidentally" used the word "Trash"

"Oh sorry I'm using americanisms, I mean rubbish"

He's been in Florida for two weeks.

This was in the "Introduce Yourself" section at the start?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Speaking of "trash"

A guy in the office came back to work today. I don't like him anyway but this was too much.

In the first encounter I had with him (a team meeting), he "accidentally" used the word "Trash"

"Oh sorry I'm using americanisms, I mean rubbish"

He's been in Florida for two weeks.

He sounds like human garbage! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I'm dying" or "Dead here" or any similar exorbitant reaction to portray merriment or mirth on a funny tweet / YouTube video / etc. 

• Like 2

We took the rugrats out for lunch yesterday at one of ‘the lounges’. They’re fairly relaxed cafe/bars if you don’t know them.

The 2 year old was getting a bit loud and unsettled so Mrs P propped up her phone and put a kids YouTube video on for him to watch whilst we ordered and got the newborn’s bottle ready etc. it worked - it wasn’t on loud and it was keeping him happy. 

Then the waiter came over, placed crayons and a colouring sheet in front of him and then helped him colour in a few things and was getting him to pick and name the colours.

I thought it was quite sweet…but then he turned the phone around and pushed it back towards my wife. It felt like he was trying to show us how to parent. 

It’s one that’s bothering me more thinking back to it than it did at the time. Maybe I read the situation wrong, I don’t know. 

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Â