Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

15 hours ago, Xela said:

It can drag though. I rarely have quiet days, but when I do, the day drags like hell. I guess if I lived in a house with a nice garden then it would be easier, but stuck in a flat or in the office, staring at a screen is soul destroying! 

This.

I hate it. Yeah it feels good for a couple of hours because you've got nothing to do but at the end of the day (I mean literally the end of the working day) you feel shit. You haven't achieved anything. It's very demotivating

• Like 2

Just returned something I bought online.

Silly me thought that the 48 in the service name referred to a 48 hours guaranteed delivery.

D4575-E0-F-2400-4447-A6-C5-D55-CD26-B259

It’s actually just for show as they are only going “aim” to deliver in 2-3 days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Reminds me of Subway being sued over their "Footlong" sandwiches only being 11 inches long, and their defence being that it's a trademarked name, not a measurement. 

People are bastards.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 09:51, Genie said:

I quite like cutting the grass, not sure why.

Not a fan of cleaning the car though. Treated myself to a paid car wash at the weekend as the weather looks good for a few days. 

If god had meant for us to wash cars, he wouldn't have invented the car wash. 

Towards the back of our line of houses there's a little pond and a stream. It's got some rare bird currently resting there from migrating, apparently a white heron of some sort. There's now a gazillion bird photographers with serious perv-lenses constantly standing there trying to get a picture of the poor bird. Do these people understand that this animal is there to rest, or do they only care about the bloody picture on their SD-card?

I hope it goes somewhere more remote, as I've seen it move several times due to people literally wading into the little pond to try and catch a glimpse. Morons.

What gets me more angry is that most of these people are probably in support of saving habitat etc, do they not understand that their consequences do exactly the opposite?

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

Just another normal day in Poland.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/04/22/polish-education-minister-to-stop-pupils-dropping-both-religion-and-ethics-classes/

“We would like to abolish what was introduced years ago, meaning a choice between three options: religion, ethics or nothing,” Czarnek told Gazeta Polska. He went on to say that “nothing” became a common choice, especially in large cities.

“This ‘nothing’ contributes to masses of people who share a totally unthinking attitude towards life,” he added, stressing that obligatory attendance at religion or ethics classes would ensure that at least “some message about the values system will reach young people”.

Religion classes, though they take place in and are funded by public schools, have a curriculum and teachers chosen by the Catholic church. Attendance at the optional lessons has been declining in recent years, though a majority of children still take part.

There have also been growing voices questioning whether the classes should continue to be paid for and hosted by the state, with around 1.5 billion zloty (€327 million) of taxpayers’ money going on the teaching of religion annually.

In the interview for Gazeta Polska, Czarnek also pledged to introduce changes to the history curriculum, with more focus on events from the 21st century. Currently, the classes only go as far as Poland’s access to the European Union in 2004.

“We need to supplement it with the following 15 years,” said the minister. He added that this should include telling “the truth” about the 2010 Smolensk plane crash. Official investigations showed that it was an accident, but the current ruling party has suggested that it may have been a deliberate attack.

Yeah, the current government still state that the Russians killed the President, and now they want to teach that in schools. It gets better.

Czarnek himself has faced similar accusations. After his appointment last year, hundreds of scholars both in Poland and abroad called for him to be boycotted over his “homophobic, xenophobic and misogynistic views”.

The education minister has become known in particular for his anti-LGBT views. In 2019, he said that “LGBT ideology comes from the same roots as Nazism” and that its adherents “are not equal to normal people” so we should “stop listening to this idiocy about human rights or equality”.

Czarnek, however, denies the claims against him, accusing his critics of spreading “Marxist lies”. He says that he cannot be a misogynist because he respects the Virgin Mary and his wife.

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just another normal day in Poland.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/04/22/polish-education-minister-to-stop-pupils-dropping-both-religion-and-ethics-classes/

Yeah, the current government still state that the Russians killed the President, and now they want to teach that in schools. It gets better.

As long as it's a secular alternative to religious indoctrination, I'm all in favour of ethics education. 

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As long as it's a secular alternative to religious indoctrination, I'm all in favour of ethics education. 

Disclaimer: It isn't. There's barely any ethics teachers so kids will be forced to take religion classes.

• Thanks 1

The wimmin protesters at HSBC. No problem with them protesting per sé but nailing posters on to a window, knowing it will smash ??? It's ok though cos they're peacefully sitting there waiting to be arrested with their pretty coloured hammers laid out infront of them.

Wasting police and ultimately courts time, expense to the tax payer....

Appearances can be deceptive but they don't look like your average rent-a-mob and seem to have enough intelligence in their heads to know their actions will make eff all difference. One can be heard saying to another "...as an artist,  I...." and i stopped the clip at that point. I'd heard enough. 

By the way, i don't condone or support HSBC either...

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

The wimmin protesters at HSBC. No problem with them protesting per sé but nailing posters on to a window, knowing it will smash ??? It's ok though cos they're peacefully sitting there waiting to be arrested with their pretty coloured hammers laid out infront of them.

Wasting police and ultimately courts time, expense to the tax payer....

Appearances can be deceptive but they don't look like your average rent-a-mob and seem to have enough intelligence in their heads to know their actions will make eff all difference. One can be heard saying to another "...as an artist,  I...." and i stopped the clip at that point. I'd heard enough. 

By the way, i don't condone or support HSBC either...

But this is the first time people have been aware of this protest against HSBC. So like it or not, it worked where being ‘nice’ hadn’t.

It’s that same argument that you shouldn’t break glass and physically violent protest is not the answer. But unfortunately that’s not supported by the evidence.

As Chairman Mao once said, ‘change must come through the barrel of a gun’

Edited by chrisp65

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

As Chairman Mao once said, ‘change must come through the barrel of a gun’

Point of order: you can also get change from those little trays they have at the bottom of vending machines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was reading a news article yesterday in which an adult American lawyer was asked to describe their reaction to the Derek Chauvin verdict. They said, "I was just like, wow."

I'm trying to determine when people began speaking like this. Maybe the 80's? But it seems like it everywhere now and my fear is that I myself might occasionally fall into this lazy way of speaking too. 

I must remain vigilant.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

Point of order: you can also get change from those little trays they have at the bottom of vending machines.

...and my missus made me go out with a coat and a bag of pound coins the other day. Off I went in a huff because I’m not a **** 10 year old.

Anyway, I ended up out an extra day, it was freezing cold, the car parking was £3 and a record shop in Kings Lynn only accepted cash.

So it turns out, I might actually be a 10 year old.

• Like 1

I'm managing a right blurt at work today. He decides to get to the furthest point away from the office on his list of tasks before telling me that the has no fuel left in the car, especially as he spent his lunch time at home round the corner from the office.

I predict a stormy last hour of work today.

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Towards the back of our line of houses there's a little pond and a stream. It's got some rare bird currently resting there from migrating, apparently a white heron of some sort. There's now a gazillion bird photographers with serious perv-lenses constantly standing there trying to get a picture of the poor bird. Do these people understand that this animal is there to rest, or do they only care about the bloody picture on their SD-card?

I hope it goes somewhere more remote, as I've seen it move several times due to people literally wading into the little pond to try and catch a glimpse. Morons.

What gets me more angry is that most of these people are probably in support of saving habitat etc, do they not understand that their consequences do exactly the opposite?

One of my mates is an avid birder, probably one of the 'best' in the country (in terms of species seen). The hobby has a rabid following, its amazing how competitive it is. 

The vast majority are keen environmentalists although when you have hundreds of blokes in combat trousers squatting in a hedge to see a rare pigeon, it doesn't seem that way. 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I was reading a news article yesterday in which an adult American lawyer was asked to describe their reaction to the Derek Chauvin verdict. They said, "I was just like, wow."

I'm trying to determine when people began speaking like this. Maybe the 80's? But it seems like it everywhere now and my fear is that I myself might occasionally fall into this lazy way of speaking too. 

I must remain vigilant.

Early 80s, late 70s. Frank and Moon unit ripped into it in 82

• Like 2

Â