Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

car insurance renewal time, the car is sat on my moms drive, been sorned cos im not there, mileage drop down from 20k miles a year to 1k just in case, changed from fully comp to 3rd part fire and theft

gone up by £200

hows that possible? piss taking words removed

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

What did you put down as your address?

Quiet little place just outside Tehran.

Ansar_Dine_Tombouctou.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of our smoke alarms in the house started doing that annoying intermittent chirping during the game last night. Mrs F looks at me with a “that’s your job to change the battery” face. I don’t mind, but I spend the next ten minutes standing on a chair trying to get the damn cover off. I only have to change the batteries every four years or so, but bloody annoying during the game.  

Edit - think it was a deliberate act by Mrs F to turn the game off to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Having to wait 20 minutes on the phone to the Villa ticket off just to get to the options. Now back on hold! Wtf are they playing at!?

If peoples mood on here is anything to go by, it isn't football. 

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

car insurance renewal time, the car is sat on my moms drive, been sorned cos im not there, mileage drop down from 20k miles a year to 1k just in case, changed from fully comp to 3rd part fire and theft

gone up by £200

hows that possible? piss taking words removed

I'm not involved with car insurance, but in the industry generally.

It'll be a combination of things. The car being off the road probably boosts claims for theft. It's also possible that the particular make of car/area/your general social standing (age etc)/etc has seen increased claims, so you get a premium hike despite a reduction in cover. And lastly, and most importantly - with car insurance, the insurers basically rely on you being too lazy to move it. They offer a loss leader premium to get you in and then underwrite it closer to what they would really want to charge at renewal, and that remains the case year on year. Car insurance is, as far as I'm aware, a really shitty market. So that brings on the final thing that might have affected the price - they've looked at their book of insured vehicles, and seen the claim trends, and you're leaning towards the trends, so they have priced high to get rid of you, because they want less risks like yours in their book.

• Like 4

On 07/01/2020 at 16:35, KentVillan said:

The expression “Let that sink in.” which is used so many times a day by unimaginative journalists and Twitter blowhards, that it has completely lost whatever rhetorical force it once had.

And all the other “mic drop” type expressions that people use in place of actually saying something interesting:

- “End of.” (the worst)

- “I’ll wait.” (as in, “Name a more iconic duo...”)

- “Make no mistake, [insert mistaken analysis]”

- “We’re better than this” (yawn)

- “This matters.” (let your audience decide that)

I just hate how derivative it all is and how clever people obviously think they sound by adding all these hackneyed flourishes to their mundane ideas.

Absolutely this.  For me it's more sinister than just being banal or vacuous.  It mostly tries to stifle discussion in an age when we seem to be actively trying to stifle anything we don't agree with.

"Don't @ me" is another one.  "Anyone who disagrees is a nonce".  Added to words like 'mansplain' which has been hijacked* as a way of just shutting a man up if you don't like what they're saying to you.

* not that it was any **** use in its original guise

• Like 2

Speaking of insurance companies

My mom bumped her car before christmas. Nothing bad, just scraped the telegraph pole outside her house as she reversed.

Garage said they could spray it and buff it out or replace the bumper. Her choice. £500 for the bumper and that's what she went for.

She called her insurer to check if it would be worth claiming, which it wasn't so she said she'd sort it out herself. But they then told her it goes down as a claim. 

Despite the fact she didn't make a claim, was merely enquiring, they've now counted it as a claim so will go against her.

Mad

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

My mom bumped her car before christmas. Nothing bad, just scraped the telegraph pole outside her house as she reversed.

Garage said they could spray it and buff it out or replace the bumper. Her choice. £500 for the bumper and that's what she went for.

She called her insurer to check if it would be worth claiming, which it wasn't so she said she'd sort it out herself. But they then told her it goes down as a claim. 

Despite the fact she didn't make a claim, was merely enquiring, they've now counted it as a claim so will go against her.

Mad

Probably illegal, but then insurance companies are a law unto themselves.

Just now, BOF said:

Absolutely this.  For me it's more sinister than just being banal or vacuous.  It mostly tries to stifle discussion in an age when we seem to be actively trying to stifle anything we don't agree with.

"Don't @ me" is another one.  "Anyone who disagrees is a nonce".  Added to words like 'mansplain' which has been hijacked* as a way of just shutting a man up if you don't like what they're saying to you.

* not that it was any **** use in its original guise

The funny thing about mansplaining is it assumes that men mansplain only to people they view as inferior (ie women) whereas VT is proof that this is just how most men talk to everyone they encounter in life, and it has very little basis in misogyny or sexism. Today’s “mansplainer” is yesterday’s “pub bore”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mad

This happened to my wife a couple of years back, a stump in the ground partially ripped off her bumper.

Called insurance, they advised it would probably cost less than the excess to do it ourselves, which we did.

12 months later at renewal, she had a "non fault claim" on her history, even though she didn't claim. words removed.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Mad

I suspect this is purely a system issue. They had to register it on the system when first discussed but then can’t delete it and have to just close it. It then stays on the system. I don’t think it should affect future insurance but might be worth making a complaint about it just in case. 

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I suspect this is purely a system issue. They had to register it on the system when first discussed but then can’t delete it and have to just close it. It then stays on the system. I don’t think it should affect future insurance but might be worth making a complaint about it just in case. 

They told her over the phone that it would happen.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Mad

I’ve heard of this kind of thing before. Technically as she’s told them she reversed into a telegraph pole she’s a bit more of a risk of an accident which they’ll have to pay out for in the future, even if she didn’t make the claim this time.

Edited by Genie

Â