Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On 13/04/2019 at 10:25, Rodders said:

It is one of a raft of intensely stupid attributes this "new left" for want of a better phrase seem to adopt. Being offended by everything. Humourless idiots who seem to micro analyse everything yet still never notice concepts like, context, nuance, or irony as well, to branch the lament out a bit further. culture has always been appropriated and it is a good thing.

What other ideas/attributes belong to this 'raft', out of interest?

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What other ideas/attributes belong to this 'raft', out of interest?

taking opinions by rote from whichever critic du jour seems to influence them, being too eager not to displease and be ahead of the next "flashpoint" by pre-emptively deciding something hitherto inoffensive is no longer the case. Having said opinions without even seeing / reading the original subject, an example recently is the film Green Book. I have a colleague who has decided Green Book is an Unacceptable Film, despite the fact she hasn't seen it because of all the chatter about white or black perspectives, which is **** retarded. The way that deviating from any other line than some arbitrarily determined "consensus" seems to make these needy insecure folk, leap to shout No Platform rather than consider that maybe a conversation is fine or accepting there are ambiguities or no easy answers. See the vocal nonsense surrounding trans issues .Graham Linehan is pretty good at highlighting the morons involved here.

It's the general, narcissistic push to want to be seen to be saying The Right Thing, and the idea that if you don't agree, it's because YOU ENDORSE THE PATRIARCHY, FASCISM or some other hyperbolic nonsense. Flippancy seems be outlawed - people assume malign intent, instead of thinking someone might have been jokng. There is no presumption of innocence. It's all attack. Someprofessor says something a bit un PC but hardly evil, and the mob will cry for his sacking Perfection is the only acceptable state for these sort. Wearing a tacky shirt in front of the cameras, SHAME HIM, SHAME HIM, REDUCE HIM TO TEARS. The Jon Ronson book on this is quite good. OK, that element is a more social media rant, rather than some specific fault of any one political grouping.

Yes, these are broad strokes and generalisations, or just some examples, not every young person is like this etc etc, but, and admittedly this qualifier may be true - I may take too much notice of twitter, facebook etc - there is a chronic anxiety abut discourse amongst some on the left who act like they cannot hold differing views from their peers. It's the environment that encourages the cult of personality - Corbyn being an example- getting some of them to acknowledge the lord JC may not be perfect or a good leader, is like getting blood from a stone, and is then met with border line conspiratorial suggestions that this is what "they" want. This mysterious "they". ( Perfectly ok to accept Corbyn does operate amid an antagonist right wing press / establishment culture, but equally it's fine to say he's a crap leader, but I like the drift of some of his policies, not necessarily the detail, but the direction in which he would like to shift the emphasis ) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

@Rodders Thank you for responding. I do appreciate it, even if I think that most of it could have been replaced by 'grrr kids these days' and a 'shaking my fist' gif. 

There may be more than a grain of truth in there, and I'm sure this generation of young things or protesting students, aren't the first to be incoherently and inconsistently angry by causes. It's not the anger at the perceived injustice that annoys me obviously, frustration is natural, but the heavy handed attitude. I suppose twitter etc just make it ( like other things ) seem so much more prevalent, and ubiquitous than perhaps it actually is.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tiger Woods fanatics

OK, now I'm pissed off. This bloke winning a game of golf is THE MAIN HEADLINE NEWS on the 10.00  BBC bulletin. The world's going to hell in a handcart, and the most important news is fecking GOLF??? Put it in the sports bit at the end, where it belongs! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

OK, now I'm pissed off. This bloke winning a game of golf is THE MAIN HEADLINE NEWS on the 10.00  BBC bulletin. The world's going to hell in a handcart, and the most important news is fecking GOLF??? Put it in the sports bit at the end, where it belongs! 

But it's not even a real sport! Maybe put it in the "Rich Asshole" section.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He is probably one of the most famous people in the world (see Mike Tyson ;)) and it's a story that transcends sport.  Sometimes sports news can be the biggest news of the day.  Out of interest do you enjoy any other sports than football?

Edited by sharkyvilla

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He is probably one of the most famous people in the world (see Mike Tyson ;)) and it's a story that transcends sport.  Sometimes sports news can be the biggest news of the day.  Out of interest do you enjoy any other sports than football?

Well, tbh, not really. And no interest in football beyond Aston Villa, either. 

Being a famous person isn't enough to be a headline, either. "John Lennon shot dead", fair enough, that was news. "John Lennon releases a new album" (back then, obviously), no. That's showbiz news. Stick it in "...and finally", or don't even bother. 

• Like 1

I think being as it was the 10 oclock news and Woods had won it about 2 hours earlier, it's justified having it as the main headline. It's huge news.

If it was the main headline beyond any news bulletins last night then fair enough.

Anything that gets **** Brexit off the main headline is ok in my book.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

It really isn't. It's a bloke winning a game of stick the ball down the hole by doing it in less shots than some others over the course of 72 holes

If VIlla won the League, The Fa Cup and The European Cup in the same season, I wouldn't expect any of those events to be the first item on the news

Just because you don't give a shit about it, doesn't mean it's not huge news.

It is, especially a couple of hours after it happened. Like I said I wouldn't expect it to be the leading item on any news bulletins this evening.

46 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Peoples increasingly narrow parameters of what is and isn't acceptable.

"OOOHH LOOKS EVERYONE, A PERSON WITH AN OPINION! GATHER ROUND!!"

You can't say that. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Peoples increasingly narrow parameters of what is and isn't acceptable.

"OOOHH LOOKS EVERYONE, A PERSON WITH AN OPINION! GATHER ROUND!!"

Kind of what this forum's all about, though. 

Particularly this thread. 

I know I'm going to stumble into the GoT thread at some point soon. I'm only on season 4 but I can guarantee that my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll sneak a peek.

I know this shouldn't piss me off as I'm not really that interested in GoT. I watch it because she wanted me to. It's passable entertainment so I'm happy to oblige but I don't understand my own compulsion to ruin surprises. As a kid, I'd always have a hunt around my parents bedroom to see what they'd got me for a birthday or christmas present. I just love to find out what's happening before I should. 

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Being nervous about going on a date, when you're a grown ass man. 

Whilst I knew your Mom went on to be an Oscar winning actress, I always wondered what ever happened to ‘the boy with an arse for a face’. Good luck on your date, Kevin.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rodders said:

taking opinions by rote from whichever critic du jour seems to influence them, being too eager not to displease and be ahead of the next "flashpoint" by pre-emptively deciding something hitherto inoffensive is no longer the case. Having said opinions without even seeing / reading the original subject, an example recently is the film Green Book. I have a colleague who has decided Green Book is an Unacceptable Film, despite the fact she hasn't seen it because of all the chatter about white or black perspectives, which is **** retarded. The way that deviating from any other line than some arbitrarily determined "consensus" seems to make these needy insecure folk, leap to shout No Platform rather than consider that maybe a conversation is fine or accepting there are ambiguities or no easy answers. See the vocal nonsense surrounding trans issues .Graham Linehan is pretty good at highlighting the morons involved here.

It's the general, narcissistic push to want to be seen to be saying The Right Thing, and the idea that if you don't agree, it's because YOU ENDORSE THE PATRIARCHY, FASCISM or some other hyperbolic nonsense. Flippancy seems be outlawed - people assume malign intent, instead of thinking someone might have been jokng. There is no presumption of innocence. It's all attack. Someprofessor says something a bit un PC but hardly evil, and the mob will cry for his sacking Perfection is the only acceptable state for these sort. Wearing a tacky shirt in front of the cameras, SHAME HIM, SHAME HIM, REDUCE HIM TO TEARS. The Jon Ronson book on this is quite good. OK, that element is a more social media rant, rather than some specific fault of any one political grouping.

Yes, these are broad strokes and generalisations, or just some examples, not every young person is like this etc etc, but, and admittedly this qualifier may be true - I may take too much notice of twitter, facebook etc - there is a chronic anxiety abut discourse amongst some on the left who act like they cannot hold differing views from their peers. It's the environment that encourages the cult of personality - Corbyn being an example- getting some of them to acknowledge the lord JC may not be perfect or a good leader, is like getting blood from a stone, and is then met with border line conspiratorial suggestions that this is what "they" want. This mysterious "they". ( Perfectly ok to accept Corbyn does operate amid an antagonist right wing press / establishment culture, but equally it's fine to say he's a crap leader, but I like the drift of some of his policies, not necessarily the detail, but the direction in which he would like to shift the emphasis ) 

Excellently worded 

"Unlock Birmingham with the Range Rover Evoque."

"Know your cobs from your late night Snobs" ( Greek wedding music plays in background)

Now Snobs isn't near a Greek restaurant anymore, so how about you get to know Birmingham JLR !

• Like 1

Â