Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

The fact I can't justify spending hundreds on a new phone because my current one is perfectly good, and will be for the foreseeable future - but I want a new shiny phone.  That really shouldn't annoy me.  Call it a mild irritation.

In exactly the same boat. Contract up in November but my iPhone 7 is still a beast. It’s comfortably the best phone I’ve ever had by miles and just does everything I need. I don’t play games on it so negligible processing power increases don’t mean much to me. It plays YouTube, I can access the internet, It does WhatsApp, I can order Pizza Hut and listen to my music in addition to using it just as a phone. I really don’t need a new one. I love my phone.

But come November I’ll be there like a right bloody lollypop trying to get a shiny new XR. I’m a div. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Netflix.

Its a shadow of its former self a few years ago. Most of the good stuff has been removed (californication/entourage etc...) or cancelled (Colony, Marvel stuff). The exclusives/originals are of a varying quality and imo are getting worse and the suggestions are the same old rubbish recycled and repeated across all the categories. It’s even worse for films. Every film I think of is never bloody on there and I have to settle for something else instead.

Is it me just having exhausted most of the good stuff or is it genuinely in a lull? Thinking of cancelling it if I’m honest. 

I was thinking the same, a lot of their newer original stuff seems to be sci-fi, supernatural or fantasy based which I have almost zero interest in.  I'd like more stuff like Mindhunter.  The films I don't mind so much, as I'm not a huge movie watcher there is plenty for me to choose from when I am in the mood to watch one.

20 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Netflix.

Its a shadow of its former self a few years ago. Most of the good stuff has been removed (californication/entourage etc...) or cancelled (Colony, Marvel stuff). The exclusives/originals are of a varying quality and imo are getting worse and the suggestions are the same old rubbish recycled and repeated across all the categories. It’s even worse for films. Every film I think of is never bloody on there and I have to settle for something else instead.

Is it me just having exhausted most of the good stuff or is it genuinely in a lull? Thinking of cancelling it if I’m honest. 

They were pretty much first to party and 'content providers' where more than happy to 'lease' content out to them. Given how successful Netflix has been many providers are looking at building (if they have already) their own platforms, or, more competition (from Amazon etc) can drive bids up meaning someone is going to lose out. As a result Netflix has to focus more on it's 'own' content, which is very hit or miss.

As a result you're going to be in a situation where if you really want to watch what you want, you're going to have to pay for multiple platforms at an ever increasing cost. For this reason I prefer to use other means.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Cultural Appropriation. People who are offended by that. words removed. 

It is one of a raft of intensely stupid attributes this "new left" for want of a better phrase seem to adopt. Being offended by everything. Humourless idiots who seem to micro analyse everything yet still never notice concepts like, context, nuance, or irony as well, to branch the lament out a bit further. culture has always been appropriated and it is a good thing.

• Like 3

All this shit on the 'neo-left' ha been brewing for years, identity politics, cultural appropriate etc, it's utter nonsense and thankfully it seems like people are wising up to it. Elements of the left contain some of the biggest fascists out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They were pretty much first to party and 'content providers' where more than happy to 'lease' content out to them. Given how successful Netflix has been many providers are looking at building (if they have already) their own platforms, or, more competition (from Amazon etc) can drive bids up meaning someone is going to lose out. As a result Netflix has to focus more on it's 'own' content, which is very hit or miss.

As a result you're going to be in a situation where if you really want to watch what you want, you're going to have to pay for multiple platforms at an ever increasing cost. For this reason I prefer to use other means.

Like you say, it won't be long before each studio has their own streaming platform - Disney are working on theirs which may remove all the Star Wars and Marvel films from other services. Eventually it ill get so fragmented people will just go back to illegal means again. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Like you say, it won't be long before each studio has their own streaming platform - Disney are working on theirs which may remove all the Star Wars and Marvel films from other services. Eventually it ill get so fragmented people will just go back to illegal means again. 

Again?

ssc_hidingsofa2.gif?w=60%26h=41&f=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Record Store Day. 

I ranted about this very thing earlier in the week. It's actually achieved it's purpose some time ago and needs to change tack i.e. become smaller scale and more regular. It started as a way of helping Indie Record  Shops to survive it's now become a once a year major turd fest. It doesn't encourage regular customers just the once a year rocket polishers who queue for hours to get a limited edition (of 100,000) David Bowie "New single" of an alternate i.e. worse take on a well known track pressed in red with sequins on the cover.

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am under the impression that record stores don't particularly like this day. 

It blocks the pressing plants for months so the Indie Labels have to wait until the RSD blockage (by the majors) clears before they can press anything up to sell, alternatively, it's pressed many months in advance and has to be sat on in a warehouse until the right time comes along to release it. Probe have been saying for a few years that they aren't going to participate any more and this time I think they might actually mean it when they say this one is their last

• Like 3

RSD can still work for a small indie shop, but I think it relies on a tremendous amount of effort and good will.

I also think it relies on the 'regulars' understanding and staying away for a few days or fully buying in to the spirit of it. 

The queue for Spillers started 7:00pm yesterday evening. 8:00am this morning they had buskers entertaining the queue and freebies for the first few dozen in line. Other stores were giving free coffee and tote bags and stuff. I think even the Fred Perry store on the end of the arcade was giving stuff out. Over the course of the day they've had DJ's and bands - including Steve Lamaq. Though apparently there were a few disappointed punters who turned up expecting Fleetwood Mac not Steve Lamaq.

She was tweeting less than an hour ago that for the first time today, the queue was solely inside the shop.

But I know it's taken week's of work, I know she's been working beyond 1:00am and all that stock bought is at risk that it's not going to be a crap weather day and people stay home.

I might actually try and get an article out of it, in a few weeks time, when she's worked out if it was a win. But by the look of the queue and the tweets, this year was a big win.

RSD was shit here, 11 stores in cologne and 1 in Bonn, emailed all of them with what I wanted (Joe Strummer, the streets B sides, sopranos and a couple of others if I'd seen I would have got) about 7 of them messaged me back saying no we are hip hop / dance / film only, some really nice record shops but the choice of music is shit for me, there aren't many "generic" record shops, amazing hip hop one in cologne 

My mates back home that I usually do it with were in Cheltenham by 6am spending £200, last couple of years there have been some proper must haves for me, ocean colour scene being the main ones, last year I spent a fortune 

It still has enough to keep me interested, releases you can't get anywhere else but at the same time there's a lot of shit just to rip you off, Noel Gallagher is awful for £15 remixes for it, and there's a lot of out there stuff that you would need to gamble on, sopranos soundtrack for £45 being an example today 

Fred Perry were an official partner so that's probably why they were dishing stuff out but I've been in a queue before where other shops get involved, coffee shops is an easy win, last year richer sounds were raffleing off stuff to us

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

So I truck on with the Great Record Cleaning Project... I need a few inner sleeves so I decide to pull out a few white labels to see if I can liberate a few that way.

First record out and it's warped, great there's a white inner sleeve straight away. Curiosity still gets the better of me.

Open Shazam on the phone, put the record on past where it skips... to me it's already instantly recognisable as Half Man Half Biscuit. Shazam agrees, its a single called Let's Not

Wish I'd chucked it out without checking now as now in my head I'm throwing away a HMHB single now, not a piece of junk. And yes I understand I didn't even know I had it until 10 mins ago.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Tiger Woods fanatics

I wasn't aware that such creatures exist. But then again, I don't know anybody who plays or watches golf. 

Â