Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Men who wear earrings

Nah that doesn't bother me but in a related issue ANYONE who has one of these nose rings through their septum just makes me want to tether them to a post in the middle of a field full of cows

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Nah that doesn't bother me but in a related issue ANYONE who has one of these nose rings through their septum just makes me want to tether them to a post in the middle of a field full of wolverines. 

FTFY. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Men who wear earrings

Not a fan of that, but I prefer an ear stud to those little disk things that create a ring in the ear lobe. Sometimes the little disk thing is solid, other times it’s a hollow ring leaving a penny sized hole in the ear lobe.

I know I probably sound a bit “kids these days...” there. But even though that style has been reasonably common place for a while, I still find them a little bit jarring to look at. Maybe jarring isn’t the right word.

I think it’s because without fail I always think what if it gets caught on a hook (what hook that would be, I have no idea, but it’s there) and grimace at the thought.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

Women in work saying golliwog. 

They meant it as in the marmalade bloke, but I said "you can't really say that anymore".

"But that's what they're called!!!"

"That's what they used to be called"

"Why should we change what we call it, I won't"

"Would you still say n****r, or p**i?"

"Of course I wouldn't!!!

Anyway, Golliwog, yes or no?

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Women in work saying golliwog. 

They meant it as in the marmalade bloke, but I said "you can't really say that anymore".

"But that's what they're called!!!"

"That's what they used to be called"

"Why should we change what we call it, I won't"

"Would you still say n****r, or p**i?"

"Of course I wouldn't!!!

Anyway, Golliwog, yes or no?

No for me. I live in a country where people brag about 'White pride'. When questioned about they say they aren't racist (they are!!!!). They say they shouldn't be ashamed of being proud of being white. Racists are mental (obviously) zero logic to any of the crap that dribbles uncontrollably out of their mouth.

Funny thing though, racists are like liberal voters (over here) no one actually wants to admit it to your face......

Edited by Villan_of_oz

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Depends on context .. if they were nostalgicly referring back to their childhood and reference to the Jam ,then  yes i could see why someone would use it ... if they were using it to highlight “political correctness  gone mad” or to describe a French tennis player , then No 

A perfect answer. 

In the original Dambusters film the squadron had a dog with a racist name. I should be able to tell people what that word was if we are discussing the topic of outdated language in films. 

• Like 2

I {gulp} agree with Tony.

'n****r' and 'Paki' have never had any function (in the mouths of white people, at any rate) other than as racial insults. But 'Golliwog' was the name of a soft toy, (I had one, btw) used to advertise jam. That toy may itself have been offensive, and I'm glad they no longer exist, but that was what it was called, there is no other word for it. I firmly believe that words in themselves cannot be offensive. They can be used as insults, but they can also be referred to in the context of discussing language. 'Huckleberry Finn' is a great book. It should be read by young people, uncensored of 'the N word', as education should be used to discuss history and the way times change (hopefully for the better). 

EDIT: I totally agree with Mandy Lifeboats above re. The Dambusters. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Depends on context .. if they were nostalgicly referring back to their childhood and reference to the Jam ,then  yes i could see why someone would use it ... if they were using it to highlight “political correctness  gone mad” or to describe a French tennis player , then No 

Whilst I generally agree with this and the subsequent post's there is however a problem, to understand the nuanced differences between the contexts requires a degree of intelligence. Unfortunately, lot's of people just don't possess the critical faculties required to make the distinctions (on both sides of the racist / non-racist divide). I'm still on the side of the intelligent though as I don't believe in censorship of this nature and I don't believe we should dumb things down for people who don't understand.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In the original Dambusters film the squadron had a dog with a racist name. I should be able to tell people what that word was if we are discussing the topic of outdated language in films. 

Even if by doing so you would knowingly cause offence?

FWIW I don't have a problem with words and if you are in your own space or the public domain then fill your boots. While you are in this place, the advertisers decide what you can say. And they don't care about context.

There is a solution, but people would rather pay for websites they use wirth their personal data than with money.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

FWIW I don't have a problem with words and if you are in your own space or the public domain then fill your boots. While you are in this place, the advertisers decide what you can say. And they don't care about context.

There is a solution, but people would rather pay for websites they use wirth their personal data than with money.

I think we all appreciate the situation with VillaTalk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Which is why I didn't use the word! There was absolutely no need to do so and I knew I would cause offence if I did.  I think you may have misinterpreted my usage of the word "discussion". It was meant to imply a sensible and proportionate face to face communication in context.  It was not meant to infer it would be reasonable in forum post that might be considered  a discussion. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Started a new job last week, I like it, seems like a good company but honest and I'll regret saying this...I've got **** all to do, I'm a bit bored

Not sure.at which point I start asking for more work 

Just post on VT and look busy, works for me on the odd quiet day

• Like 1

That smell you get when you haven't dried your clothes properly after washing them.

And more specifically, people who still then wear the clothes even though they smell weird instead of rewashing them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Started a new job last week, I like it, seems like a good company but honest and I'll regret saying this...I've got **** all to do, I'm a bit bored

Not sure.at which point I start asking for more work 

Do some mock drafts. Fantastic clock killer.

Â