Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On the gym subject, standards really have slipped at my local gym. Two things that really get to me (1) people using equipment as coat hangers and places to put their water bottles and phones, not respectful at, (2) a total lack of respect for space, people just stand around in places that can interfere with your lift such as right next the bench press station when you're about to bench press. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

What next, look at these twunts on the rowing machine, surely it be as easy just to get in a boat and row?

You got some legit points, but I seriously doubt the large amounts of people doing this are doing it because of health related issues. I think it's more a case of them feeling good about themselves going to a gym. Which is fair enough I guess. Just puzzles me why they can't feel good about themselves taking a walk outside instead. 

I do a lot of ergometer rowing though, so stay off that :D  - to be fair I'd row outside if it wasn't such a hassle with equipment, boat, water etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

On the gym subject, standards really have slipped at my local gym. Two things that really get to me (1) people using equipment as coat hangers and places to put their water bottles and phones, not respectful at, (2) a total lack of respect for space, people just stand around in places that can interfere with your lift such as right next the bench press station when you're about to bench press. 

1) I am guilty. I always put my water bottles and phone on seats next to whatever lift I am doing. I just move it when people are moving in. Leaving phones on the floor is such a bad idea in general. 

2) Fully agree. Especially at maximum lifts. 

I wanna add people who ask me if they can lift between my breaks. I can sort of understand people asking when I am done with spesific equipment as they can plan different exercises inbetween, but when you wanna lift between my breaks you just annoy the **** out of me. It makes me lose whatever flow and feeling I have in that given moment. 

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Most people don't have access to a cushioned  even surface that rises and falls at will that is MUCH better on your joints than pounding the pavement at even walking pace

That treadmill is exactly like a boat in that most people who need them don't have access to their own

Pavement I agree (as I can't jog at all on concrete or asphalt due to knee injuries and a bad hip), but I can't for my life figure out how someone thinks the surface of a treadmill is better for your joints than a gravel road or a simple forest walk. The inclination bit is reasonable though, but even then you can just do an uphill walk. Due to having **** my meniscus (?) I can't run or walk down hill at all unaided. Which means I have to use support equipment to do that kinda stuff, but even then I prefer walking outside than a treadmill. 

Anyway, guess there's no right answer. If people wanna spend their own money on it who am I to judge.

One thing that seriously pisses me off in gyms though is how they put rowing machines (ergometers) in the worst possible locations. They normally have about 25 treadmills, and 3-4 rowing machines. And all the rowing machines are put in locations where you get some gnarly yoga arse in your face or you have to look into a wall, instead of having it in a reasonable place where you can watch a street or something without people being in your face. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pavement I agree (as I can't jog at all on concrete or asphalt due to knee injuries and a bad hip), but I can't for my life figure out how someone thinks the surface of a treadmill is better for your joints than a gravel road or a simple forest walk. The inclination bit is reasonable though, but even then you can just do an uphill walk. Due to having **** my meniscus (?) I can't run or walk down hill at all unaided. Which means I have to use support equipment to do that kinda stuff, but even then I prefer walking outside than a treadmill. 

Anyway, guess there's no right answer. If people wanna spend their own money on it who am I to judge.

One thing that seriously pisses me off in gyms though is how they put rowing machines (ergometers) in the worst possible locations. They normally have about 25 treadmills, and 3-4 rowing machines. And all the rowing machines are put in locations where you get some gnarly yoga arse in your face or you have to look into a wall, instead of having it in a reasonable place where you can watch a street or something without people being in your face. 

Well not every one has easy access to these surfaces. What are people supposed to do, trawl their local areas for gravel roads or drive out to a forest after work? It's far easier to go to the gym and use a treadmill and as pointed out, it's a much better and safer surface than what the average person has easy access to.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wanna add people who ask me if they can lift between my breaks. I can sort of understand people asking when I am done with spesific equipment as they can plan different exercises inbetween, but when you wanna lift between my breaks you just annoy the **** out of me. It makes me lose whatever flow and feeling I have in that given moment. 

Working should be pretty much a given if you go during peak time. If you don't want to share equipment, I think you need a home gym. :) 

Especially if you're doing big lifts and taking long breaks. My squat sets are usually 3-5 minute breaks for example. Someone can be in and out and my weights are back where they were by the time for the next set.

• Like 1

Completely disagree. I pay about £70 a month to go to that gym. If I spend 20 minutes in that rack I wanna do it completely undisturbed. If you come into the gym at a later point and I have taken the rack, either get in earlier or find yourself something else to do. Not my problem. 

People who take days to pay for an item on eBay after buying it. If you are not ready to pay for it there and then then don’t bloody buy it. Word removed’s. 

Edited by Ingram85

43 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely disagree. I pay about £70 a month to go to that gym. If I spend 20 minutes in that rack I wanna do it completely undisturbed. If you come into the gym at a later point and I have taken the rack, either get in earlier or find yourself something else to do. Not my problem. 

So you pay £70 a month to go to the gym, another member probably pays the same, but can't use the equipment you use for 20 minutes, even though you have breaks between using it? 

Why don't you go in earlier or later, so you're not seen as a selfish pain in the arse by other members? 

I think you're incredibly selfish. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

"I didn't even know Oral-B made a toothpaste..."

XXXX OFF

I've posted this exact thing in here before :D

What the **** DID you think they made? Cakes?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So you pay £70 a month to go to the gym, another member probably pays the same, but can't use the equipment you use for 20 minutes, even though you have breaks between using it? 

Why don't you go in earlier or later, so you're not seen as a selfish pain in the arse by other members? 

If it's quiet then I'm on Kenji's side. Just do something else for 10 or 15 minutes and wait for me to finish.

If it's busy then I'm on your side. There's almost no way to do what you're there to do without sharing at peak times.

Which is why i go at 5 in the morning :D 

It's all about capacity. If the gym is busy or if, more relevantly, a type of equipment is 'busy' (e.g. there's only two squat racks and they're both in use) then you really ought to allow another person to work in, I cannot fathom why anyone would have an issue with it. If you feel you 'deserve' a piece of equipment for 20 minutes then you have an ego problem and better back that up with some serious lifting. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

People who film themselves in gyms do my nut in. I heard one person tell another that it was to “check their form”.

I’ve seen this particular person most weeks for two years filming their deadlifting, they should have their fricking form sorted by now! 

It's fine to check form, it's not fine when it's some clearing in the woods getting filmed doing curls for their instagram page.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I know this is incredibly hard to get, but it's first come first served. If you are too late, don't ruin other people's work out. There's always a ton of other stuff you can do mean while. How you make out that to be me being selfish I will never know. 

Seems you are one of these people though. 

Either way I've started telling them no now and it gives me great pleasure. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If you feel you 'deserve' a piece of equipment for 20 minutes then you have an ego problem and better back that up with some serious lifting. 

I don't think people need to do anything except work out in their own pace at their own level, and leave people alone. If you can't get to spesific equipment on time  don't blame others and take up their time and space. Nothing to do with deserving as you put it rather condescendingly. All gyms I've ever been at the last 30 years have operatedon first come first served from equipment to classes. Trying to flip some moralistic argument when you are late to the fun is just weird. 

Â