Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm far from "posh", but I seem to have a habit of making a bit of a nob of myself whenever I talk to anyone who works in a typical "bloke" job. any kind of interaction with tradesman, and I channel my inner-dickhead.

I took my car in to have its alloys redone this morning. I was waiting for the mechanic guy to turn up, and when he did, I introduced myself, and he held out his hand. I couldn't decide whether he was going to shake my hand or take the key, so I reached out mine, put the key in his hand, and shook his hand in one gesture, like I was tipping him a car or something.

The look of "wtf" on his face is going to pop in to my head and taunt me occasionally for years to come.

Partridge-esque.  Good work! 😂

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd love to go through the rubbish, find a letter, go to that address and find out who did it.  

Trouble is, quite often people have paid a refuse professional (man with a transit) to dispose of the rubbish for them so they’d be completely unaware that their stuff has just been slung up Cannock Chase. 

I share your rage though. In a similar vein....

I live in a small block of flats down in that London. Only 12 properties in the block which is situated next to a lovely park. Next to the bins currently are 11 dead Christmas trees that people living in the flats have just dumped there presuming someone will take them away for them. Months later and they’re still there but nobody is going to take responsibility for them. 

The maddening thing is that the council have a Christmas tree collection point in the park every January. If they’d literally just thrown the trees over the fence, they’d be woodchip by now but instead, we have this pile of dead trees we have to clamber past to get to the bins. 

This week is the first time I've had to have a tradesperson out to my own home. For years when renting it was nice and easy in terms of who to contact. This time, having to source someone to come out is so stressful. I assume everyone is out to get me. Anyway plumped for one chap who came out - hood extractor fan needed replacing - and he offered to source a replacement one - fine with me I don't know where I am looking. Either way, at the time he said it would be around 30-35 quid to fit it. The fan he found cost around 80 quid which was reasonable when I checked other prices online. There was also a minor light fitting job that needed doing, and if I had the energy I'd youtube it or wait for my dad to sort it - but as we're trying to sell the house, I thought sod it. So I suppose I've allowed the fella to bump up the quote a bit, but £180 was about I dunno, 30-50 quid more than expecting. On the quote he literally itemised 'Test' twice for the two jobs which would seem to be part of the actual job. I mean I'm not going to quibble this time I don't think. In two years of living there if the repairs needed to the house before moving end up at circa £200 ( I'll need to fix the fence up a bit I reckon ) then I suppose that's not too bad. I just wish I could challenge him on asking where this extra money comes from. I mean, me constantly mentioning "I know **** all about DIY" was in hindsight ( and should have been in foresight ) unwise, but heyho. Maybe it's in fact perfectly reasonable, I dunno. 

Just now, choffer said:

Trouble is, quite often people have paid a refuse professional (man with a transit) to dispose of the rubbish for them so they’d be completely unaware that their stuff has just been slung up Cannock Chase. 

I mean, I'd find the address of the house, go to the house and ask them who they used, then call the PO-LEASE and dob em' in. 

I'm aware they probably didn't do it themselves :lol::thumb:  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm far from "posh", but I seem to have a habit of making a bit of a nob of myself whenever I talk to anyone who works in a typical "bloke" job. any kind of interaction with tradesman, and I channel my inner-dickhead.

I took my car in to have its alloys redone this morning. I was waiting for the mechanic guy to turn up, and when he did, I introduced myself, and he held out his hand. I couldn't decide whether he was going to shake my hand or take the key, so I reached out mine, put the key in his hand, and shook his hand in one gesture, like I was tipping him a car or something.

The look of "wtf" on his face is going to pop in to my head and taunt me occasionally for years to come.

I’ve got carpet fitters in my house right now and I’m shitting myself.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

This week is the first time I've had to have a tradesperson out to my own home. For years when renting it was nice and easy in terms of who to contact. This time, having to source someone to come out is so stressful. I assume everyone is out to get me. Anyway plumped for one chap who came out - hood extractor fan needed replacing - and he offered to source a replacement one - fine with me I don't know where I am looking. Either way, at the time he said it would be around 30-35 quid to fit it. The fan he found cost around 80 quid which was reasonable when I checked other prices online. There was also a minor light fitting job that needed doing, and if I had the energy I'd youtube it or wait for my dad to sort it - but as we're trying to sell the house, I thought sod it. So I suppose I've allowed the fella to bump up the quote a bit, but £180 was about I dunno, 30-50 quid more than expecting. On the quote he literally itemised 'Test' twice for the two jobs which would seem to be part of the actual job. I mean I'm not going to quibble this time I don't think. In two years of living there if the repairs needed to the house before moving end up at circa £200 ( I'll need to fix the fence up a bit I reckon ) then I suppose that's not too bad. I just wish I could challenge him on asking where this extra money comes from. I mean, me constantly mentioning "I know **** all about DIY" was in hindsight ( and should have been in foresight ) unwise, but heyho. Maybe it's in fact perfectly reasonable, I dunno. 

There's a few compare sites for this kind of stuff online.

You post a job and tradesmen reply and either give you quotes online or some out to give you a quote.

Easy way to get a few options without having to source them yourselves. They're all reviewed and stuff as well.

I think the site is called "putyourjobuphereandwewillgetyousomequotesandyoucandecideifyouwantthejobdoingornot.com"

(jokes, myhammer.co.uk or ratedpeople.com are two of them. Can't remember which one I used)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I would, were I not concerned I'd kill myself, my partner or the neighbours. However, the light fitting bit I should really learn how to sort. I have no excuses, my dad was involved with buying some properties to let when I was a kid and I would go round and help him clear them out and he would always tell me how to fix plugs, and how to recognise various problems. But it always went in one ear, right out the other. 

He asked me to creosote a shed once, I spent 7 hours doing it in the sun one day, only for him to point out at the end of the day I'd used the wrong tub and had simply "painted" the shed with water :blush:

:crylaugh:  that's brilliant! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I would, were I not concerned I'd kill myself, my partner or the neighbours. However, the light fitting bit I should really learn how to sort.....

You need to make sure you stay safe if you're messing with electric. Remember, always stand in a metal bucket full of water*, to,... er...., um.... protect yourself against electrical fire and use metal tools.

p.s. if you were to die, can I have your car?

ta.

don't do that, you'll get trench foot.

• Haha 3

The fact that I've been corrected twice in two days by different café owners when i asked for a medium coffee, i was told that they don't do medium, only regular or large.

Medium...regular.... what's the fckin difference ?!?!?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

The fact that I've been corrected twice in two days by different café owners when i asked for a medium coffee, i was told that they don't do medium, only regular or large.

This usually elicits the "ok I'll go somewhere that does sell medium coffee instead, thanks" response

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I swear more than usual when dealing with tradespeople.  Like I think it'll help me fit in or something.

I think I swear less for the same reason. The swearing more isn't really practical for me, there'd be few words of meaning

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I agree with you. But, being devil's advocate, I guess 'medium' is the middle one of three sizes (small, medium, large). When there are two sizes, they are usually regular (arguably should be called 'small') and large - so there is no middle size. That's the best I can come up with. 

Anyway, even that is better than all that  'vente' and 'grande' nonsense. 

• Like 2

Â