Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 07/07/2020 at 20:59, villa4europe said:

"land of the free"

where they literally have a justice system that is plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit and be home quicker than waiting for a trial to find you not guilty

mental place

Thanks for posting about this, I can't wait to watch it. You might like 'Presunto Culpable" or "Presumed Guilty" which is a 2008 documentary following a legal battle in Mexico.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 18:48, sne said:

Not watched it yet and not looking forward to doing so because I will get both sad and angry doing so but I think it is one to watch non the less.

This is excellent.

Horrifying, but excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2020 at 17:40, astondalston said:

image.jpeg.df2110e8ca92d07e57a8479b0e92b332.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxwq

First Episode of this was very good. 

Bit of a headspinner to see a character from Generation Kill appearing as a Talking head, looking like he's not handled the passage of time since the war too well...

US Marine says he was 'systematically trained to kill' | Daily Mail OnlineUS Marine says he was 'systematically trained to kill' | Daily Mail Online

I loved the Iraqi kid who had the only heavy metal band in Iraq. 

On 07/07/2020 at 11:59, villa4europe said:

"land of the free"

where they literally have a justice system that is plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit and be home quicker than waiting for a trial to find you not guilty

mental place

This is also happening in this country right now. 

Just started watching 3 part Netflix series on the 5 mob families in NY during the 70's-80's and how FBI took them down.

Fear City: New York vs the Mafia. So far it's pretty good, interesting stuff.

Fear City: New York vs the Mafia Poster

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not quite the same because we don't have the bail bond system 

What I mean is innocent people are being encouraged to plea bargain, because law firms are losing money when their clients go to trial. This has been happening ever since the legal aid cuts. 

• Like 1

Fear City Netflix.... 6.5/10

With the material they had it could have been 1 episode tightened up instead of stretching it to 3 episodes, would rather they took more time and dug deeper as the information is all out there, they could have made this much more detailed and forensic but for me Netflix want to knock stuff out quicker and lose a bit of quality for it. They have in past streamed some top quality documentaries though so they know the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Fear City, tbh it wasn't as good as it should have been. Rather pedantic in it's telling. A shame they didn't give some air time to Gotti, that was some bold move deciding to execute the hit on Paul Castellano. Gotti hated him with every fibre in his body. Say what you like about Gotti, but he walked the walk without so much as a sigh. 

As for the ex mobster who had the boxing equipment in the background of wherever he was talking. That was some deep insecurity right there, and all because he turned out to be a rat. It's always the so called tough guys who crumble when they're faced with the consequences of their choices. Absolute cowards. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

cant remember if it was I here or in the TV thread...that for me was the shows downfall, it comes from the angle of the FBI and not the mob, Gotti is infinitely more interesting than the guy who installed the wire tap in Castellano's house but that's the guy who's story they are telling, not sure if its because they thought that was different and new or because they could get more cops in front of the camera than mobsters, I hope for their sake it wasn't because they thought it was more interesting because it obviously isn't and never will be

Watched the Epstein documentary on Netflix.

Nothing new in it really if you knew the story, but still a compelling (and infuriating) watch. 

That's a story that, if ever the whole thing came out, you have to suspect the world would be a different place the next day.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Watched the Epstein documentary on Netflix.

Nothing new in it really if you knew the story, but still a compelling (and infuriating) watch. 

That's a story that, if ever the whole thing came out, you have to suspect the world would be a different place the next day.

Very good documentary, shocking but not surprising in equal measures.

I noticed Chris Rock was pictured partying with Epstein and his pals.

Just finished the Keepers.

Genuinely astonished it's so well regarded. It's 2 episodes of a well trodden path with a thin veneer of a murder mystery smeared over the top. It even introduces a second murder in the first episode and then doesn't mention it again until the last episode.

One of the more disappointing crime documentaries of recent times I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just finished the Keepers.

Genuinely astonished it's so well regarded. It's 2 episodes of a well trodden path with a thin veneer of a murder mystery smeared over the top. It even introduces a second murder in the first episode and then doesn't mention it again until the last episode.

One of the more disappointing crime documentaries of recent times I think.

Yep, I said the same when I watched it.

Obviously it's very important stuff and horrifying.

But as a documentary it's boring. Nothing happens, there's no real mystery, and it seems to be made up mostly of that one woman's lies.

Spoiler

I'm sure she was sexually abused. I'm not trying to say she's lying about that. But to me most of her story, like seeing the murder victim's body, was all made up.

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I said the same when I watched it.

Obviously it's very important stuff and horrifying.

But as a documentary it's boring. Nothing happens, there's no real mystery, and it seems to be made up mostly of that one woman's lies.

Hide contents

I'm sure she was sexually abused. I'm not trying to say she's lying about that. But to me most of her story, like seeing the murder victim's body, was all made up.

Indeed. 

Spoiler

I'm certain she was abused, and many others were - whilst there's not really any proof, it's very compelling that so many girls at the school at that time had very similar, horrific, experiences. But... 'Jane Doe' has a lot of flights of fantasy when it relates to the murder. I also don't believe she saw the body, not for a second, and the stuff with 'Brother Bob' didn't happen either. Her fantasy wants to tie the mystery up in neat bow when that almost certainly isn't the case...

My big issue with it though was it just came across as a bunch of middle aged women trying to fudge their story into THE story. Half the series is quite literally

Spoiler

'this family who lived nearby are extremely tangentially linked to this best have their family legend that their uncle did it!'. I mean there's an episode basically dedicated to a family whose uncle lived next door to the nun and went a bit mad and killed himself after the murder. But he was gay in 1960s America - having mental health issues isn't exactly a shock and him living nearby and going nuts proves nothing. Half the series focuses on a necklace that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The woman who owned it has her story that her dodgy partner who she reckons was the killer suddenly gives it to hee a year after the murder. So what?! What does that have to do with anything? Why are we concerned about this necklace that there is absolutely no proof whatsoever had anything at all to do with the case? And on and on...

I didn't expect to come away with a solved mystery, that's rarely the case with these things, but this had basically nothing. They ultimately had a mystery that goes nowhere and spend 7 episodes revealing the story of another tragedy that isn't really much of a shock (Catholic priest in molestation followed by cover up shocker...) while having nothing to add. And to put the tin hat on it they introduce a second murder in the first episode, ignore it for the next 5 episodes, and then mention it again for 2 minutes to complain that nobody had bothered to look into it!

It's more than a bit crap.

• Like 1

Athlete A.

A very good doc that begs the question - is there an organisation on the planet that wouldn't place success and money ahead of 'Right'?

It's astonishing how we see the same story over and over. A cog in the wheel is found to be a wrong'un, and the first action is to close ranks, cover it up, and attack the victims.

Infuriating watch.

Also makes you wonder whether gymnastics might need an 'uninvent the bomb' moment. The 'women's' side of it is clearly laughably unhealthy with the focus of on mentally and physically breaking teen girls to seek 'perfection'.

• Like 2

Â