Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

His comments don't make sense

That's not ruthlessness that's cutting their nose off to spite their face 

He was a 'dream' signing six months. Embarassing really.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But remember, the saudis definitely are not in control of the club, definitely not, the PL performed stringent and rigorous assessments to ensure as such.

The premier league chairman after doing the assessments. 

spacer.png 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, calcifer said:

The premier league chairman after doing the assessments. 

spacer.png 

Boris after taking time out from running the country to make his own assessment and write his letter of recommendation... 

• Haha 1

On 27/05/2022 at 21:31, Newry_Villan said:

Browsing Twitter, majority of comments are let them offer massive wages for players we wanted to get us out of relegation, we'll go for better players bla bla bla.  I'm thinking you guys are technically in the same boat as us, will have to offer massive wages to get decent players.  They really don't like us those Barcodes.  Did that stem from us relegating them when their hero was manager of them?

Twitter seems to be split on #AVFC gloating that they beat us to Coutinho, Carlos and Kamara, and #NUFC claiming we never wanted them in the first place. To be honest, I think our targets have moved on from Carlos and I don't think we were ever in for Coutinho or Kamara. Twitter transfer bantz is a playground for toxic pettiness.

Newcastle and Villa have exactly the same issues: not in CL nor any immediate prospect of CL, not in London. Even "history" is a marginal draw - how many Brazilians really care that Villa won the European Cup 40 years ago, or Newcastle were in three FA Cup finals in the 50s? So wages are our main weapon, plus the PL, and the buzz of playing in front packed crowds. There's also "the project" for both clubs. Villa have Stevie G which definitely helps, we (probably) have deeper pockets and a high-profile project.

• Like 3

On 02/06/2022 at 12:28, The_Steve said:

He was a 'dream' signing six months. Embarassing really.

We've moved on from him. We're in a different situation so have different targets.

20 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

We've moved on from him. We're in a different situation so have different targets.

Different targets as in bigger / better or younger, or centre back no longer such a priority since you signed Dan Burn (who to be fair had done a very good job since he came in)? Surely Carlos wasn’t seen as a stop gap for the remainder of last season? 

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

This classic popped up on my YouTube feed:

Desperately hoping they buy a Colombian forward this summer. 

They already did with Asprilla. Did this sketch pre-date that signing?

2 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Different targets as in bigger / better or younger, or centre back no longer such a priority since you signed Dan Burn (who to be fair had done a very good job since he came in)? Surely Carlos wasn’t seen as a stop gap for the remainder of last season? 

We *really* want Botman, but we wouldn't want Botman and Carlos (we need to spend elsewhere). I think Botman is seen as a statement signing in the same way Bruno is. I could have seen us go for Carlos towards the end of transfer window if we'd lost out to Milan for Botman, but given how quickly Villa signed Carlos it wouldn't have made sense for us to compete for him while we still had a good chance of signing Botman. Think we'll be happy with 4 CBs of Botman, Schar, Burn and Lascelles. Burn has been excellent. Lascelles very much 4th choice, but can do a job.

Ekitike is an upsettingly good signing for them.

Botman hopefully goes to Milan. That would be very bad for us if he goes there.

This is similar to when we were decent under O'Neil and City first had their money. That little period ended with us going down and City being PL champions.

I don't think Newcastle are going to make half as many gaffs transfer wise (Wood clearly a tactical purchase to weaken their rivals and have someone ready to go) so will probably be a top 4 threat by the start of 24/25 season.

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This is similar to when we were decent under O'Neil and City first had their money. That little period ended with us going down and City being PL champions.

I don't think Newcastle are going to make half as many gaffs transfer wise (Wood clearly a tactical purchase to weaken their rivals and have someone ready to go) so will probably be a top 4 threat by the start of 24/25 season.

It won't be that easy to break into. The challenge they have is breaking into the top 8 - we've seen how inconsistent a lot of teams are. And how Howe can get them playing next season also.

The big challenge for Newcastle is in a way similar to the big challenge for us.

For Newcastle, it's clearer and more straightforward, their wealth means that they can move quickly and that they will develop at a pace - the challenge for both of us is to try to crack the top six before the top six get a chance to change the rules and stop it happening - that's the battle - never mind the one where we're both trying to get the players that can do that job on the pitch - the battle is in the boardroom, it's in premier league chairmans' meetings, it's in the TV deal negotiations, it's in Nyon at UEFA HQ, the battle is in the boardrooms of sponsors - if Newcastle are to succeed, and if we are going to give ourselves a chance to, it's that battle that needs to be won - buying a team that can perform might be easy by comparison - we both need to win the battle to make buying a team that can perform and then having success with that team a possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Ekitike looks like he'll be a fantastic player but there's no guarantee. He's only 19 so will be inconsistent and moving to a new and more difficult league. If he leads their line next season then I'd be worried for him/them as the pressure to succeed will be immense. 

Â