Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The type of thing they would try? Based on what? They've been worryingly sensible so far 

Looking at the table they are 6 points ahead of us with less goals scored and more goals against. I have no real point to that observation!

They had to be sensible as they were in a relegation battle January.

This summer they’ll be flexing their new found financial muscle no doubt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The 0 wins from 14 stuff is a bit bollocks though as they were still only about 4 points behind, they were never cut adrift and it was largely because of Bruce and Ashley and the poor mentality of the team under them 

I don't think Howe is doing anything incredible if I'm honest, I think they've got new owners, signed some good players, stopped trying to roll sleeves up for 90 minutes and actually play football and the whole buzz around the place is what has flipped the switch

Howe doesn't do this under Ashley, it's not him that's made the place happy and I think that's largely what we're seeing

A bit bollocks… but also absolutely completely true :D.

I think there’s some amazing revisionism going on with this post. I don’t think anybody particularly thought that Guimaraes (unknown), Trippier (people said he was coming for a payday), Burn, Targett and Wood were even “good signings” - let alone enough to propel Newcastle from the drop zone to pushing for a top half finish. Further, people thought they squad they had was already wank, with arguably Saint-Maximin being the only decent player (and even then, too greedy, wrong option taken, wouldn’t want at Villa etc).

Laughable to suggest Newcastle’s only issue was a bad atmosphere. No-one rated them, and certainly nowhere near top half even if they did think they’d survive. Hell, people thought Howe was an awful appointment too.

23 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

They had to be sensible as they were in a relegation battle January.

This summer they’ll be flexing their new found financial muscle no doubt. 

They don't seem to be the types to make Robinho like signings. But if they believe Coutinho is a signing that will improve them, then maybe it could happen.

17 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If the saudis get impatient and demand some glamour signings for their vanity project, they might try for some superstars. But if Howe has his way, I doubt it.

They'll probably want a glamour manager as well though, who will probably come in and do a worse job. 

I used to not mind Newcastle but now I simply hate them. Only because of their owners and fans willing to toss all that aside for glory. They're the most despicable team in the league now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I used to not mind Newcastle but now I simply hate them. Only because of their owners and fans willing to toss all that aside for glory. They're the most despicable team in the league now.

Still City and Liverpool above these for me, hate Liverpool purely because their fans are complete cockwombles, never met a reasonable Liverpool fan yet. If they win the quadruple I am taking a year out of football!! 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I should hate Newcastle, and I'm sure I will in time - but right now they are the best hope that football has of smashing the big six before the big six smash football.

But they’re going to do it again the same way as the ‘big six’ by financially ensuring success so screw them.

Leicester came closest by winning the league on graft but haven’t been able to sustain their place amongst the media favourites. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

But they’re going to do it again the same way as the ‘big six’ by financially ensuring success so screw them.

They are, but by doing that they're going to change it - seven into four doesn't go - six into four doesn't go either,  despite the efforts of the current six to keep changing the rules until it does, but if enough clubs get involved, it becomes almost impossible for a small group to split things off for their own benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I should hate Newcastle, and I'm sure I will in time - but right now they are the best hope that football has of smashing the big six before the big six smash football.

This reminds me of when lots of fans were delighted to see city taken over because it would break the top 4 monopoly. How did that work out for the rest of us? 

It is about what Aston Villa do. I am not hoping for some other club to be our saviour or shining light. City were competition to us, we failed to use our resources wisely and put up a better fight. In the future - we need to get the majority of our recruitment correct. We need to ensure our coaching set up is the best possible. Our academy is one of the best in the country, if not the best. Our infrastructure enhanced and ready to take on the top 4/6. I am not scared of Newcastle under NSWE. I have seen signs we are capable of becoming a real top club again. Positive thinking.

On 08/05/2022 at 15:05, Villa_Vids said:

It is about what Aston Villa do. I am not hoping for some other club to be our saviour or shining light. City were competition to us, we failed to use our resources wisely and put up a better fight. In the future - we need to get the majority of our recruitment correct. We need to ensure our coaching set up is the best possible. Our academy is one of the best in the country, if not the best. Our infrastructure enhanced and ready to take on the top 4/6. I am not scared of Newcastle under NSWE. I have seen signs we are capable of becoming a real top club again. Positive thinking.

Financially it was never a competition. I think Lerner at his absolute peak wealth before divorce was worth like $1.5 billion. The Abu Dhabi Group is a consortium of billionaires the main one being Sheik Mansour who's worth about $30 billion. 

On 08/05/2022 at 22:23, JPJCB said:

This reminds me of when lots of fans were delighted to see city taken over because it would break the top 4 monopoly. How did that work out for the rest of us? 

Not that well for us because we absolutely shat the bed as a club and then got relegated.

But Leicester won the league and Tottenham got to a UCL final.

While i'd prefer Newcastle were just as rich as us as opposed to having a bottomless pit of filthy money, the more teams who can match the financial might of the Sky 4 or Sky 6, the better.

Â