Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

39 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Ekitike looks like he'll be a fantastic player but there's no guarantee. He's only 19 so will be inconsistent and moving to a new and more difficult league. If he leads their line next season then I'd be worried for him/them as the pressure to succeed will be immense. 

I don't think he'll need to lead the line. They have Wilson and Wood to start.

I would have loved us to sign him but it looks like we're going for someone to start right now. Not sure that's the best approach.

43 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Ekitike looks like he'll be a fantastic player but there's no guarantee. He's only 19 so will be inconsistent and moving to a new and more difficult league. If he leads their line next season then I'd be worried for him/them as the pressure to succeed will be immense. 

It could end up going all Freddy Adu for him....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think he'll need to lead the line. They have Wilson and Wood to start.

I would have loved us to sign him but it looks like we're going for someone to start right now. Not sure that's the best approach.

Unless he was moving to a top team and for Champions League football then I'd expect him to want to lead the line and be the main striker. There's a lot of teams interested in him and he'll want regular game time. 

I also can't see their fans being happy with Wilson or Wood starting next season as they seem to be getting carried away with the idea of the project. 

On 04/06/2022 at 12:49, OutByEaster? said:

The big challenge for Newcastle is in a way similar to the big challenge for us.

For Newcastle, it's clearer and more straightforward, their wealth means that they can move quickly and that they will develop at a pace - the challenge for both of us is to try to crack the top six before the top six get a chance to change the rules and stop it happening - that's the battle - never mind the one where we're both trying to get the players that can do that job on the pitch - the battle is in the boardroom, it's in premier league chairmans' meetings, it's in the TV deal negotiations, it's in Nyon at UEFA HQ, the battle is in the boardrooms of sponsors - if Newcastle are to succeed, and if we are going to give ourselves a chance to, it's that battle that needs to be won - buying a team that can perform might be easy by comparison - we both need to win the battle to make buying a team that can perform and then having success with that team a possibility.

This is a battle all outside the top-six should be waging - Newcastle, Villa, Everton, West Ham, Leicester. The "bottom-14" (whatever its composition at the time) should resist any rule changes that specifically favour the top-six (whatever its composition at the time).

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 11:28, Tomaszk said:

Ekitike is an upsettingly good signing for them.

Botman hopefully goes to Milan. That would be very bad for us if he goes there.

This is similar to when we were decent under O'Neil and City first had their money. That little period ended with us going down and City being PL champions.

I don't think Newcastle are going to make half as many gaffs transfer wise (Wood clearly a tactical purchase to weaken their rivals and have someone ready to go) so will probably be a top 4 threat by the start of 24/25 season.

Ekitike undoubtedly a gamble given we don't know how he'll adapt to the Premier League. The club can absorb the impact of a high-risk signing like this. The recruitment process seems to be run much more professionally than previous. It looks promising.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:09, The_Steve said:

It won't be that easy to break into. The challenge they have is breaking into the top 8 - we've seen how inconsistent a lot of teams are. And how Howe can get them playing next season also.

Top 8 has to be the realistic target. Any higher than that requires a lot of good fortune for Newcastle and bad fortune for everyone else.

On 04/06/2022 at 14:47, Rds1983 said:

Unless he was moving to a top team and for Champions League football then I'd expect him to want to lead the line and be the main striker. There's a lot of teams interested in him and he'll want regular game time. 

I also can't see their fans being happy with Wilson or Wood starting next season as they seem to be getting carried away with the idea of the project. 

We would very much be happy with Wilson starting. He will be very effective if he can stay fit. Wood a squad player. Ekitike well managed by Howe and blooded gradually.

On 04/06/2022 at 22:28, MrSmirch said:

“Bruno.” Give me strength.

Not sure what this means? He's clearly a quality player, beyond what we would have expected to be able to sign in January. A proper gateway signing for us.

47 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

We would very much be happy with Wilson starting. He will be very effective if he can stay fit. Wood a squad player. Ekitike well managed by Howe and blooded gradually.

Interesting. From what I'd seen online after the takeover there were a lot of fans talking crazy transfers with ideas of Haaland or Mbappe. Felt like the fan base would want a marquee signing up top (obviously not the ones mentioned above but some relatively big name and expensive signing). 

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Or that you're calling him Bruno for short which let's face it everyone would because it just makes sense 

I'll be honest and say I don't know if spelling it guimares is even right 

Even if we can spell it we're not sure how to pronounce it 😂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Interesting. From what I'd seen online after the takeover there were a lot of fans talking crazy transfers with ideas of Haaland or Mbappe. Felt like the fan base would want a marquee signing up top (obviously not the ones mentioned above but some relatively big name and expensive signing). 

I don't know anyone that thinks Haaland or Mbappe were ever realistic, or sensible, targets. You always get a lunatic fringe at clubs who can't string two thoughts together that believe the most outrageous stuff. I think most people are prepared to wait for a marquee number 9 while we strengthen elsewhere.

Great bunch of lads. At least if you play along.

Long and charming read in link.

In the summer of 2020, two videogame companies canceled sponsorship deals with Saudi Arabia’s planned city-state of Neom following fan complaints about the country’s human-rights record. Neom Chief Executive Nadhmi al-Nasr called an emergency meeting on a weekend and asked his communications team why it hadn’t warned him this might happen.

“If you don’t tell me who is responsible,” Mr. Nasr said, according to people with direct knowledge of the meeting, “I’m going to take a gun from under my desk and shoot you.”

Colleagues later consoled a woman who broke down crying, these people said. Most of the people in that meeting have since left Neom, part of an exodus of foreign staff, according to current and former employees.

Neom is Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s most ambitious project, a group of futuristic technology-driven communities with its own laws across an area the size of Massachusetts that the 36-year-old leader hopes will one day feature flying cars, robot dinosaurs and a giant artificial moon.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/expatriate-executives-flee-saudi-arabias-bad-bosses-crown-prince-mohammed-mbs-neom-nasr-11654008823?st=l4e9azycetwwfkh

On 19/04/2022 at 00:05, Tomaszk said:

Newcastle's summer will be a resounding success. And not just because of the money, because they'll spend it properly.

I cannot believe they'll get Botman. That would be incredible.

Botman, Paqueta, Guimaraes and Ekitike in two windows. That's the spine sorted for five years.

Wasn't Botman in a paper yesterday with a direcr quote saying he was waiting to join Milan? 

Edit - looks like Milan in the 11th hour have raised concerns over his injury record, Newcastle are therefore back in the mix 

That sounds like agent talk during the last rounds of negotiation 

If they dont get Botman that'll mean they've missed out on the 3 CBs they were linked with at the start of the summer 

Edited by villa4europe

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wasn't Botman in a paper yesterday with a direcr quote saying he was waiting to join Milan? 

Edit - looks like Milan in the 11th hour have raised concerns over his injury record, Newcastle are therefore back in the mix 

That sounds like agent talk during the last rounds of negotiation 

If they dont get Botman that'll mean they've missed out on the 3 CBs they were linked with at the start of the summer 

As I said yesterday he probably wont get into the Milan team and easily could be fourth choice if Kjaer returns soon

He still cant get near the Dutch squad and they have Daley Blind and  Bruno Martins Indi as centre back options over him

Â