Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Hypothetical scenario... the club you've supported all your lives gets bought out by a murderous backwards regime that intend to use your club to sportswash their image....

Do you stop going to matches? Do you stop buying the kit? Do you fully stop supporting them and find a new team?

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Hypothetical scenario... the club you've supported all your lives gets bought out by a murderous backwards regime that intend to use your club to sportswash their image....

Do you stop going to matches? Do you stop buying the kit? Do you fully stop supporting them and find a new team?

I dont really care that much for football anymore so it would turn me off personally, rather watch other leagues than the Sky Greed League except Villa but even in last few months I am caring less about us.

But I think its a tough one especially at Newcastle as they have been a laughing stock for nearly 20 years and also doesn't help they are a one club city. 

Also if Newcastle did sign Mbappe or some superstar, how can you explain to your kids not to support them

Edited by Zatman

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I rarely go to matches, I don’t buy the kit or any merchandise. So that wouldn’t be an issue for me.

As for stopping supporting/following/caring about the club… I think I would knock it on the head, but I don’t know for certainty. I like to think I would.

If I did give it up, I’d either sack football off or choose a local non league club to follow.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yep, that would be the end for me. My enjoyment of top level football already depends on a suspension of my morals, if we were owned by someone akin to the Saudis that would be me done. I'd most likely follow a non-league team, but I can categorically state that I'd have nothing to do with the Villa

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I’d stop going to the small handful matches I go to, and no longer buy shirts.

I’d focus my time on the local non-league side until the regime changed.

• Like 1

Think I'm in the boat with most of you.  Would have to abandon the club. Not sure whether I'd look to a non league local side to replace them though.

Can see why it isn't that straight forward for a lot of people who probably feel more in love with football than I am these days.

dunno, id guess my downward trajectory would probably continue, id watch most games, still spend too much time on here, buy a shirt if i liked it and happily declare myself as a villa fan 

id keep an eye on the european games when they eventually came, its easy to say i wouldnt bother going to the PL grounds that ive already been to and ive served my penance as a ST holder but if villa had a night in the nou camp or san siro etc then yeah of course id get that tickle in my belly and want to go

villa being my number priority on a saturday afternoon has long gone and i dont think it will come back no matter what, midweek games are actually easier for me because my wife and daughter are asleep come the 9pm kick off

edit - im also guessing my downward trajectory will change direction because of my kid(s) i will of course force villa upon them no matter what

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Honestly, I think the vast majority of us would stay for the ride.

Personally, I'd probably invest more time in Solihull Moors or something.  But I'd still want Villa to do well.

18 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Obviously when you choose that specific group of games, it looks disappointing (I guess that is why they were chosen) and we would all have hoped for better. You know, I even have a sneaking suspicion that Steven Gerrard and the first team squad are disappointed with how it’s gone. But it is sort of how mid table football works. There are lots of teams scrapping to take chunks out of the other mid table teams.

Villa’s performance over those matches is at the wrong end of a tight group of ten teams who in their most recent 19 matches have gained between 22-27 points. The group consists of (in ascending order) Southampton, Villa, Burnley, Brighton, West Ham, Palace, Leicester, Brentford, Wolves and Man U.

The stand out team for improvement over that period is of course Newcastle who got 36 points from their last 19 games. I guess we all hoped Villa would achieve something like that following the start we had with Gerrard but it has proved more complicated. If you had told me we could get Eddie Howe as our manager to replace Smith, I would have bitten your arm off, although I know many of the “experts” on this site were dismissive of him when he went to Newcastle. Just shows.

However, I think we should all cheer ourselves up by remembering that the season does not consist of just those 19 matches that you are so keen to focus on. There have been another 17 with two more to go, and, although the opening 11 were a bit of a disaster, overall we have gained enough points to be around the middle of the table and to end above some of the teams mentioned above. Gerrard has had a chance to get the measure of the existing squad and I am sure it will be strengthened over the summer.

So it could be time to stop obsessively focusing on 19 specific matches, have a look at the season overall, and look ahead to better times next season. 

You know it makes sense.

I have to be honest Brin......I was expecting a bit more from us , what I saw from Newcastle v Arsenal.

It was quite interesting to me how Newcastle went about their recruitment, signing characters in the main, and not technically gifted individuals.....They spent well in January of effective players.

I thought we did too, but our signings was never going to address our main issues.......Theirs did.

I would be lying, If I said I have no concerns, with the summer signings.....because, I have low confidence our main issues will be addressed, on the basis, we have taken too long with successive managers to fix it.

I just get this horrible feeling that if a good winger/or the like,  became available, we would be distracted away from a CDM, just on the basis of being available.......maybe, I am being unfair, but thats where I'm at with recruitment at B6.

We are typical mid table, but I was expecting more fight, since the change over of manager.

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have to be honest Brin......I was expecting a bit more from us , what I saw from Newcastle v Arsenal.

It was quite interesting to me how Newcastle went about their recruitment, signing characters in the main, and not technically gifted individuals.....They spent well in January of effective players.

I thought we did too, but our signings was never going to address our main issues.......Theirs did.

I would be lying, If I said I have no concerns, with the summer signings.....because, I have low confidence our main issues will be addressed, on the basis, we have taken too long with successive managers to fix it.

I just get this horrible feeling that if a good winger/or the like,  became available, we would be distracted away from a CDM, just on the basis of being available.......maybe, I am being unfair, but thats where I'm at with recruitment at B6.

We are typical mid table, but I was expecting more fight, since the change over of manager.

If we spent the way Newcastle did fans would go nuts.  Bruno aside they signed players with the sole intention of staying up. Burn, Wood, Trippier and even Targett if they sign him have gone for one last big pay packet.  They will just about be squad players there in the next season or two.  Would you really have wanted us to sign stop gap players like that just to finish the season strongly? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

21 hours ago, MrBlack said:

If Villa were bought out by a regime that actively wants people like me dead I'd never watch another Villa game ever again. I'd find some local grassroots team and support them instead. I sure as hell wouldn't make excuses for them like the Geordies are doing.

Some (let's be honest, most) things are bigger than football.

• Like 3

Is there evidence of any Newcastle (or even Man City fans) who made the decision that they could no longer support their clubs given their murderous owner-regimes?

What would the percentage be? 0.5%? 0.2%?

Footballs slowly dying anyways. City are going to be winning titles for the next 5-10 years now they have haaland. Once newcastle start becoming good and spending 200m a season it will be them.

Its shit and im not loving the game anymore. I actually am glad seasons finishing so i can do other things witb my life for the next 3 months

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont really care that much for football anymore so it would turn me off personally, rather watch other leagues than the Sky Greed League except Villa but even in last few months I am caring less about us.

But I think its a tough one especially at Newcastle as they have been a laughing stock for nearly 20 years and also doesn't help they are a one club city. 

Also if Newcastle did sign Mbappe or some superstar, how can you explain to your kids not to support them

Same

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Is there evidence of any Newcastle (or even Man City fans) who made the decision that they could no longer support their clubs given their murderous owner-regimes?

What would the percentage be? 0.5%? 0.2%?

Then factor in their growth over the same period of time with new fans both here and abroad

No one cares 

Newcastle might be different because the regime is so much worse

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we spent the way Newcastle did fans would go nuts.  Bruno aside they signed players with the sole intention of staying up. Burn, Wood, Trippier and even Targett if they sign him have gone for one last big pay packet.  They will just about be squad players there in the next season or two.  Would you really have wanted us to sign stop gap players like that just to finish the season strongly

If it meant mid table survival instead of relegation than you're question is a bit of a no brainer. 

We kind of did spend like that and fans kind of did go nuts... 

Trez, Wesley, Nakamba etc etc OK it was for a season rather than January until the end of the year but we did spend a lot of money on players to get us from 17th to 12th who then aren't good enough for the next step

The problem for us and Newcastle is we then need to sign more players like traore and sanson who should in theory get us a couple of places higher and then they aren't good enough either, we could Targett in that category hence why we let him go

For me Newcastle have 1 player who will still be there if and when they get European football and that's part of what will slow them down, maybe they add another one this summer but they won't 4 or 5 players who will play CL football for them and neither will we, got to go up the ladder first and we've **** up this season, they can definitley do the same in the next couple of years, it won't be as easy as people make out 

29 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If it meant mid table survival instead of relegation than you're question is a bit of a no brainer. 

Yes then it would be which is why it made sense for Newcastle. I just don’t get how you compare their January business to ours. Bruno aside we wouldn’t want any of the players they signed.  The situations are completely different. 

Â