Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, Adman said:

If they were smart theyd have left it until the last day of the window to sign him leaving burnley screwed.  But they're not so it's ok

Usually release clauses have to be activated at a certain time. 

Grealish nearly expired before we accepted it

I think it'll be tough for Burnley to replace Chris Wood unfortunately.

He's a big ugly lump, but he has hit double digit goals in 4 consecutive PL seasons which is better than Agbonlahor, Bent, Benteke, Ings, etc ever managed, just to put into context how consistent he is from year to year. Excellent injury record, and suited Burnley's shit house style down to a tee.

Can they really afford to spend all the money on a like-for-like replacement, or will they want to set some aside for a possible Championship campaign?

And who can they find who'll hit the ground running, and help keep them up? It's a big ask. Remember we ended up with Wesley for £22m. Strikers aren't cheap.

I think Newcastle have (annoyingly) played a blinder here.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it'll be tough for Burnley to replace Chris Wood unfortunately.

He's a big ugly lump, but he has hit double digit goals in 4 consecutive PL seasons which is better than Agbonlahor, Bent, Benteke, Ings, etc ever managed, just to put into context how consistent he is from year to year. Excellent injury record, and suited Burnley's shit house style down to a tee.

Can they really afford to spend all the money on a like-for-like replacement, or will they want to set some aside for a possible Championship campaign?

And who can they find who'll hit the ground running, and help keep them up? It's a big ask. Remember we ended up with Wesley for £30m. Strikers aren't cheap.

I think Newcastle have (annoyingly) played a blinder here.

They bought well in the summer to be fair so are capable of picking out good young players. One problem they have is that that Ashley Barnes' legs have gone while Rodriguez and Vydra are nowhere near good enough so really they need to buy two forwards now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adman said:

Be great if burnley sign someone good who lights it up and helps to send newcastle down 👍

Really the rest of the PL should be falling over themselves to sell or loan someone half decent to Burnley. Maybe Liverpool can lend the Salah to them till the summer 😂😂

• Like 1

Burnley apparently in talks for Seko Fofana, who was also a reported Newcastle target, so would be ironic if the Wood money helps Burnley to sign him

Edited by useless

6 hours ago, useless said:

Cornet either plays on the wing or as a striker. He's scored six goals in ten games this season, he picked up an injury which is why he's only played ten, but I think he's back now. if Newcastle wanted to weaken Burnley's attack they probably would have been better off signing him.

He's fit but he's at AFCON now, plays for Ivory Coast after representing France at numerous underage levels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

I remember when take over happened had loads of delusional newcastle fans saying they going to sign Harry Kane and Mbappe hahahahahahahahaahah

Think on current form Chris Wood is as useful as Harry Kane

• Haha 1

tbh, although 25m is a lot, i think a 2.5 yr deal for Wood is a good buy for where they are right now (ie: desperate to stay up and be able to leverage the oil money in the summer).

although it pains me to say it, signing him to try and stay up right now is 100% a good bit of business, he will score goals if they pump crosses in, and he can hold the ball up, ye he's a limited player, but they wont care, they just need to stay up and get past this season so they can properly invest the oil money, and tbh i tihnk Wood is a decent signing for that, when its likely many wouldnt join them right now.

Wood has scored 49 goals in 4.5 seasons, ye he's a limited bulldozer type player, but Newcastle wont care if he helps keep them up.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Really the rest of the PL should be falling over themselves to sell or loan someone half decent to Burnley. Maybe Liverpool can lend the Salah to them till the summer 😂😂

Had the same thought - would not be surprised to see some decent strikers being loaned out to Burnley

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

"Paying a reported £25m for Wood, who is 30 and has scored three goals this season, might not represent great value, according to some fans."

No kidding!

On just a 2 and half year contract too!

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe he fancies finishing his career closer to home?

he might have negotiated 2.5 years on a wage that means he can finish his career at the dog and duck if he wants...

if newcastle are smart they lowered his wage demands and stuck in a sky high goal bonus :trollface:

• Like 1

Â