Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe he fancies finishing his career closer to home?

It’s still an unusually short deal, most players would still get a 3.5 year deal to give themselves the security/flexibility even if the plan was to leave after 2-2.5.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s still an unusually short deal, most players would still get a 3.5 year deal to give themselves the security/flexibility even if the plan was to leave after 2-2.5.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing, just wondering aloud. It may also be that a longer deal simply wasn't offered or on the table, and just choosing between a pay rise and job security it made most sense to him to go for a pay rise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hardly a direct replacement for Wilson is he, they share little of the same traits.

Wilson will run in behind, run the channels and press high up the pitch, Wood offers none of that but of course does bring more physicality and aerial presence.

What Wood offers is the ability to score goals against the run of play when you've been tactically outclassed for 90 mins, by just lumping hopeful balls into the box. Very useful when your team is dog shit and you only have 11 points.

• Like 1

Have to say I'd be underwhelmed if I was a Newcastle fan. All this talk of big players and they sign... Trippier and Wood. Meanwhile we've got in Coutinho and Digne. Admittedly we're in a much better position but still.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Have to say I'd be underwhelmed if I was a Newcastle fan. All this talk of big players and they sign... Trippier and Wood. Meanwhile we've got in Coutinho and Digne. Admittedly we're in a much better position but still.

And Conte turned them down too 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Trippier is a 2.5 year deal as well 

Just now, Genie said:

I’m surprised at that too. Usually when clubs are desperate like Newcastle it’s 4 or 5 year contracts. 

Seems sensible running of the club

Probably on huge bonuses for staying up

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Seems sensible running of the club

Probably on huge bonuses for staying up

Yeah, from a clubs point of view it’s where they want to be. Usually though they get told by the players agent it’s long contract or nothing. 
As you say, Newcastle must be offering some incentive for the player to agree to a shorter deal. Big signing bonus, staying up bonus or something else.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I was surprised at that too. Strange to put himself out of contract at 32/33. 

Good move by Newcastle, and Wood probably on wages he couldn't have dreamed of a week ago. They'd have given him a 6 month contract if he'd accepted it. He is there to save them for relegation and nothing else.

Although if he's the answer...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wow, a stat i didnt realise:

Wood being bought for 25m (or was it 20m?), is the highest transfer fee paid for a 30+ year old in PL history.

Blimey.

I wood have thought it was someone else, can't beleaf it

Â