Christian Benteke

Kwan

well from his cameo on Saturday he looks to be a big man that wins headers, holds the ball, causes defenders problems and gets into good positions, if he keeps that up he'll be our own Drogba.

it's a big if, it's early days, but he looks exciting, i'm sure he'll have many games where he looks frustrating, but then that's strikers for you.

I am reserving judgement until he's played at least half a season, but if we have another striker who creates and gets into loads of positions but can't finish I might just kill myself out of frustration. Watching Gabby over the last 5 years has been one of the most frustrating things at Villa.

Be interesting to see what the consensus is on here after he has played 15 games.

For me it was a highly encouraging little cameo but I think Lambert will be careful in how he uses him.

So nice to have competition for places up front.

Can anyone remember when Villa have had competition in this area previously?? I am genuinely struggling to think of a time when we had more than 2 decent strikers to chose from.

For me, I can only immediately think of Yorke, Milosevic and Tommy J... 1995-96... Even then, York was 'the man.'

and Yorke, Savo, Joachim n Collymore for a spell

I think the difference between Benteke and DB9 could be in what they actually DO bring to the team. Darren, as we know, is what he is....a out and out goal-scorer. Benteke, even at first glance, looks as though he can create chances for those around him, as well as take them.

I fully expect he will be there or thereabouts at the top of the 'assists ' list come May.

I am reserving judgement until he's played at least half a season, but if we have another striker who creates and gets into loads of positions but can't finish I might just kill myself out of frustration. Watching Gabby over the last 5 years has been one of the most frustrating things at Villa.

Gabby is just an athlete that has been trained as a footballer. Benteke's a footballer! I think we can see that Benteke has the ability, even if it is quite raw at the moment.

Even the best strikers will miss chances.

I think we should try not to get too carried away just yet. It was a good start for Benteke on Saturday, but as others have said let's see how he does over the season before getting too excited. It will be interesting to see how he does up against the likes of Stoke for instance, or one of the top 4 teams.

As for missing sitters, I've seen all sorts of sitters missed over the years, as long as he puts his fair share away and contributes to the team the odd missed sitter should be forgiven and not held against him. Even the best make mistakes now and then.

His debut reminded me a bit of Solskjaer's debut against Forest in the cup for manure. Looked deadly, missed a sitter and then in the end became the match winner (tho solskjaer scored 4). If he's anything like Ole we'll be in for one hell of a ride.

Â