Christian Benteke

Kwan

Glad we got Benteke instead of Carroll. That's assuming we were in for Carroll.
Same here. Can bet you Carroll would've cost us twice as much and be on double the wages as well. Not only that but technically I don't think Carroll is anywhere near as good as Benteke.

Never seen such an exciting signing since ive been going down the villa IMO.

A 21 year old Belgium International for a bargain 7m who scored 15 last season ( Even being a target man ) and 3 in 5 this season for KRC Genk.

Then tops it off by scoring on his debut and looking class with his touches. Very happy with him and Bent and cant wait for them to gel.

Put him straight into my dream team in place of DB9. Might not set the world on fire in terms of scoring, although He'll obviously chip in, but I think he'll be accredited with a fair few assists to both DB9 and the midfield, KEA must be licking his lips at the opportunities he's going to get from the edge of the box.

Glad we got Benteke instead of Carroll. That's assuming we were in for Carroll.
Same here. Can bet you Carroll would've cost us twice as much and be on double the wages as well. Not only that but technically I don't think Carroll is anywhere near as good as Benteke.

Yep agreed.

Isn't Benteke on 17.5k I'd imagine Carroll is on atleast 70k a week minimum.

Be interesting to see what the consensus is on here after he has played 15 games.

For me it was a highly encouraging little cameo but I think Lambert will be careful in how he uses him.

I think his "miss" was massive and no point making excuses for him there, like it came at him quick. I shudder to think what VT would be saying had Ireland missed that and Swansea equalised with the chance they had shortly after. I get the impression Benteke is the type of player who is equally likely to bash in a great goal as he is miss from two yards.

But either way it looks like he will cause problems - very strong, looks quick too and got a touch to boot. Being so young he could turn into a really top player or go the other way quickly.

So nice to have competition for places up front.

Can anyone remember when Villa have had competition in this area previously?? I am genuinely struggling to think of a time when we had more than 2 decent strikers to chose from.

Benteke seems more versatile and diverse than Carroll, and Benteke seems more technical than Carroll. I don't think Carroll is bad player, quite the contrary I think he's pretty damn good but he suits teams who play more direct and teams need to play for his strenghts, when Benteke seems like a player who can adapt into the different style more.

He is a player who can bring something to the game none of our other strikers can. I actually think we have a nice mix of abilities with our 4 forwards in the squad.

Would potentially like to see a front two of gabby and Benteke. While Bent is clinical he isn't the type of forward that causes endless problems for defenders where I think gabby on form and Benteke would.

I'm not saying drop Bent, he's our best forward. Just that I would like to see what Benteke and Gabby could do together.

Be interesting to see what the consensus is on here after he has played 15 games.

For me it was a highly encouraging little cameo but I think Lambert will be careful in how he uses him.

So nice to have competition for places up front.

Can anyone remember when Villa have had competition in this area previously?? I am genuinely struggling to think of a time when we had more than 2 decent strikers to chose from.

For me, I can only immediately think of Yorke, Milosevic and Tommy J... 1995-96... Even then, York was 'the man.'

A write up which explains why we shouldn't get carried away with Benteke

Considering this is quite a negative post, there's still alot of positives to take from it I believe. The main one being that it says he has the strikers instinct to find space, but often fails at converting. To me that's not a huge negative at this point in his career. It's much easier to teach a guy to shoot, adapt his technique, give him the confidence to trust his instincts.. than it is to teach him that feel for where to go and how to find space.

Even yesterday we saw that this may be the case, with Bent's knock back he did a beautiful pull back which just left the defender flat footed, perfectly timed to allow Bent to nod it back to him in space.. and then he fluffed his shot.

For me, at 21 years old, I don't mind that. Our coaches (and they will be considerably higher quality coaches than any others he's had in his career so far) will teach him to be more ruthless in front of goal. Give him training on keeping his balance in those instances and striking the ball much cleaner (or in this case, striking the ball at all...)

He's far from the finished product, but with the right training, confidence and tactics he has all the natural attributes and reading of the game to be a great striker for years to come.

Yep read that yesterday, still think he will be great here. And very optimistic about Bentekkers.

We're talking about a shot he fluffed after coming on as a sub and perhaps not quite up to speed. I'm not worried.

Is it too early to compare him to Drogba ?

At Villatalk it's never too early to compare our players with world class players. We are a deluded bunch.

If anything, it's too late. We should have known if he was world class or not by the time he finished cacking in nappies. Ask SGC...

Â