Christian Benteke

Kwan

i said this some time ago..when we get a forward who delivers the goods..gabby will be forgot.. the new boy looked very good. great signing from the new manager who put faith in him.great stuff utv

I think you are needlessly writing Gabby off, he would benefit hugely from our new approach, as he showed in his 15 min last week.

No reason why we cant have all 4 of them in the squad.

i said this some time ago..when we get a forward who delivers the goods..gabby will be forgot.. the new boy looked very good. great signing from the new manager who put faith in him.great stuff utv

I think you are needlessly writing Gabby off, he would benefit hugely from our new approach, as he showed in his 15 min last week.

No reason why we cant have all 4 of them in the squad.

If anything, I can see it inspiring Gabby to sharpen up. And theres nothing to say that Lambert won't rotate the forwards constantly, as the need arises.....even DB9.

..gabby will be forgot..

Gabby will bring a different option. He looked sharp at The Sports Direct.

A fully fired up and fit gabby has a big role to play still.

I wouldnt say a big role to play but he could certainly contribute and i wouldnt expect anything less from him.

Really hoping he fills the void in my heart left by Carew a few seasons ago. As soon as he came on and started dominating in the air and chesting balls down, I was ecstatic.

It was going through my mind - he really reminded me of John Carew. Big and dominant yet still had some ball skills to go with it. If he can be like big John but with a but more consistancy we have some player! Early days yet though

Thought exacty the same. He played like Carew at his best. Unbeatable in the air, good feet (for a big man! [/cliché]), held the ball up as well as anyone.

But he's much younger, looks quicker and a lot less lazy than Carew. If he can be consistent I think he'll be a real threat.

Significantly, he's adifferent to anyone else we've got up front at the moment, and that's very important.

A breath of fresh air, we've needed a powerful but mobile striker for about 3 seasons now, ever since Carew went off the boil. As others mentioned, he always looked to get onto the ball, and his first touch was superb. It was great to see how well he was holding the ball up, not just for onrushing midfielders, but in the box which allowed midfielders like El Ahmadi to find space to have shot on goal. I can see him providing many assists, if he keeps this up, not just goals. It was also pleasing to see how well he linked up with Bent, a few things didn't come off but they were communicating well and generally had a very good understanding as to where each other wanted to go and also linked up well deep, something Bent usually isn't capable of. The most important thing now though is the space Benteke could bring the likes of Bent and Gabby, with his ability on the ball and his added creativity, defenders are going to have to close him down a lot quicker which could free up room for Bent to slip through the gaps. However this was his first appearance and he is very much unknown, and soon defenders will make it much more difficult for him, once they learn a bit more about his style. So lets see how he does over 20+ games, but so far very promising.

I had not watched youtube videos or the Belgium match like a few had, so didn't know exactly what to expect, except for what I had read on here. He exceeded my expectations. Looked wonderfully composed, eager for the ball, linked up well with Bent, in-****-credible with the ball in the ball, and a nicely taken goal, also demonstrating his anticipation, to boot.

I would hope that he will fill Bent with confidence aswell, although I'm still a bit unsure about what Lambert should do up top. I love Weimann's energy, and he's got a decent shot on him alright...and given the fact Bent had a mare until (and during, partly) Beneteke came on, you might expect Lambert to stick with Weimann. I think B&B would prove a more potent strike force though, given time. Granted, this means waiting for Bent to get his mojo back, but I thibk Bentekkers may be the one to help him do that.

Due to my previous 'scouting' :lol:, I think its safe to say that Saturdays performance was no fluke. Great touch, good hold up play and passing, as well as being able to take opportunities to score.

I don't think he's going to score 20 goals a season but if he can continue to link up with Bent like the glimmer we saw, then I think they will have a fair few between them.

A write up which explains why we shouldn't get carried away with Benteke

Considering this is quite a negative post, there's still alot of positives to take from it I believe. The main one being that it says he has the strikers instinct to find space, but often fails at converting. To me that's not a huge negative at this point in his career. It's much easier to teach a guy to shoot, adapt his technique, give him the confidence to trust his instincts.. than it is to teach him that feel for where to go and how to find space.

Even yesterday we saw that this may be the case, with Bent's knock back he did a beautiful pull back which just left the defender flat footed, perfectly timed to allow Bent to nod it back to him in space.. and then he fluffed his shot.

For me, at 21 years old, I don't mind that. Our coaches (and they will be considerably higher quality coaches than any others he's had in his career so far) will teach him to be more ruthless in front of goal. Give him training on keeping his balance in those instances and striking the ball much cleaner (or in this case, striking the ball at all...)

He's far from the finished product, but with the right training, confidence and tactics he has all the natural attributes and reading of the game to be a great striker for years to come.

A write up which explains why we shouldn't get carried away with Benteke

Considering this is quite a negative post, there's still alot of positives to take from it I believe. The main one being that it says he has the strikers instinct to find space, but often fails at converting. To me that's not a huge negative at this point in his career. It's much easier to teach a guy to shoot, adapt his technique, give him the confidence to trust his instincts.. than it is to teach him that feel for where to go and how to find space.

Even yesterday we saw that this may be the case, with Bent's knock back he did a beautiful pull back which just left the defender flat footed, perfectly timed to allow Bent to nod it back to him in space.. and then he fluffed his shot.

For me, at 21 years old, I don't mind that. Our coaches (and they will be considerably higher quality coaches than any others he's had in his career so far) will teach him to be more ruthless in front of goal. Give him training on keeping his balance in those instances and striking the ball much cleaner (or in this case, striking the ball at all...)

He's far from the finished product, but with the right training, confidence and tactics he has all the natural attributes and reading of the game to be a great striker for years to come.

Yep read that yesterday, still think he will be great here. And very optimistic about Bentekkers.

Hang on - let's give Bent2 some benefit of the doubt - he'd only been on the pitch a couple of minutes before his 'fluffed' shot. Yes, players should be prepared, but coming on with 10 minutes to go, it can take people a while to get into the pace of the game. And the Swansea match was played at high tempo for the full 90 minutes. I'd forgive any substitute taking a few minutes to get fully into the game, and his introduction was justified by robbing the left back for this actual goal.

A wonderful piece of instant confidence for Bent2. And as for that article from the 'Belgian Waffle...' - It says the signing of Benteke was a sign of desperation on our part? Bollocks... I think it's more like sour grapes on their part. He's currently unproven in the Premier League, time will tell obviously. And what's all that car jacking bullshit, I thought that was all done and dusted?

We have some very interesting options up front now... This is boding a lot nicer than 12 months ago...

If he fails at converting then we always have Bent. I mean assuming Benteke is guilty of hitting it at the keeper then Bent thrives on that stuff, Bent needs a striker near him that causes the ball to spill out and around the area.

Â