Christian Benteke

Kwan

I thought he was very lucky with the throat grab/push. You always run a risk when you raise your hands.

He was poor today, but he's got more than enough in the bank for his performances this season.

Benteke actually played quite well, but we expect so much of him that he looked gash. The flick over his head to set up the soft left foot shot was class, as was the little lay off for Gaby that nearly resulted in a goal. I've noticed that every so often we come up against a team which has a player capable of matching Benteke in the air, and that was the problem today. But he played pretty well with the ball at his feet.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the fact that he may well have been exhausted today. I'd put the same argument for the rest of the team who played against Sunderland but it's Benteke's first season in English football, lest we forget.

Someone suggested we rest him for today's game, I thought it might be a good idea myself but now with hindsight it might have been a VERY good idea, though Holt would have been more trouble I suppose. Ah well, can't change it now.

Edited by Ginko

Of any game to rest him in, it should've been the United one. Was inevitable that they'd win, there was no way that they wouldn't have won on TV to confirm them being crowned champions.

I decided to revisit the subject of Benteke for BeNeFoot. I hope you enjoy the article:

http://www.benefoot.net/aston-villa-benteke-my-young-player-of-the-year/

Excellent article.. Just a quick question, why is he getting criticism for national team performance? Has he been poor recently?

I was in Belgium recently and talking about Benteke to some local guys at a bar. None of them rated him at all and said he is the only weak link in the Belgium team! They couldn't really say why, just that he's not very good.... I asked them who they would prefer to play as a striker and they said anyone! Not seen any of his national appearances but his club form must be a hell of a lot better

can i ask where in belgium did you ask this?

Hope the scouts were watching today because he was awful!!!!

Me too lol.

To be honest, this is the reason that I think we will keep hold of him for at least another year. While there are games that he has been totally unplayable this year, games like yesterday showed that he's not quite ready for a big move just yet.

As much as it pains me to say it, it is a matter of when, not if he leaves, but I don't think clubs would be willing to pay the sort of fee we would want for the big man until he's proven he's not a 'one season wonder'.

The most worrying thing for me yesterday was the shove on Bassong, I've yet to see him lose his cool like that and it could get into the heads of Prem defenders that you can provoke him to lash out?

The Bassong incident wasn't even amongst the highlights shown on MOTD (unless I temporarily nodded off at that moment!)

He didn't play brilliantly yesterday but we know what he's capable of - hoping he destroys 'JT' next weekend.

The Bassong incident wasn't even amongst the highlights shown on MOTD (unless I temporarily nodded off at that moment!)

He didn't play brilliantly yesterday but we know what he's capable of - hoping he destroys 'JT' next weekend.

I doubt Terry will play.

I like Ivanovich, he's a solid player and a master of the dark arts. I can see him winding Tekkers up big time. I think he'll have a tough game.

That said we know what he can do. Give him half a yard or let your mind wonder, your strength wain for a second and bang, goal. His attributes make him a threat against anyone, on any day. Even God himself would struggle to contain the beast, dependant on how many he'd had that morning!

Also, lets not underestimate his all round influence. He drags players to him creating space for our counter attacking game which is, once again, a joy to behold.

I doubt Terry will play.

I like Ivanovich, he's a solid player and a master of the dark arts. I can see him winding Tekkers up big time. I think he'll have a tough game.

That said we know what he can do. Give him half a yard or let your mind wonder, your strength wain for a second and bang, goal. His attributes make him a threat against anyone, on any day. Even God himself would struggle to contain the beast, dependant on how many he'd had that morning!

Also, lets not underestimate his all round influence. He drags players to him creating space for our counter attacking game which is, once again, a joy to behold.

When wed playd against serbia ivanovic got tough game againt bennteke

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-christian-benteke-not-3311429

"It is believed chairman Randy Lerner and manager Paul Lambert would even be prepared to resist offers of up to £30 million – more than four times what the club paid for him eight months ago"

There is no way Lerner would refuse £30m

On what basis? I think that's a ridiculous statement

"we wouldn't sell Downing for £50m"

I wouldn't completely dismiss the fact that he may well have been exhausted today. I'd put the same argument for the rest of the team who played against Sunderland but it's Benteke's first season in English football, lest we forget.

Someone suggested we rest him for today's game, I thought it might be a good idea myself but now with hindsight it might have been a VERY good idea, though Holt would have been more trouble I suppose. Ah well, can't change it now.

Can't agree. One of the main reasons that he wasn't that good yesterday was that the norwich players were really going in for stopping him, which created space for our other strikers, and Gabby scored two goals. Maybe he is tired too, but I still think we should play him if he's fit. It's two games left of this season. He can fight through any fatigue for two more games. And I think he will.

One thing I like with him is that he's so complete. He can score all kinds of goals and set up others to score. He can score headers, shots from outside the penalty area, one on ones with the keeper. He can go past players. The man's got it all.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-christian-benteke-not-3311429

"It is believed chairman Randy Lerner and manager Paul Lambert would even be prepared to resist offers of up to £30 million – more than four times what the club paid for him eight months ago"

There is no way Lerner would refuse £30m

On what basis? I think that's a ridiculous statement

"we wouldn't sell Downing for £50m"

Do you think we got enough for Downing? I really think we did.

More than enough, and Downing wanted to go anyway.

Source?

Do you think we forced him out or something? I can see it now, Faulkner standing with a loaded gun, pointing it at Downing in Magaluf shouting "HOLD THE FCUKING SCARF UP WITH CARROLL OR ILL SHOOT YOU"

• Like 3

Â