Christian Benteke

Kwan

More than enough, and Downing wanted to go anyway.

Source?

I thought it was common knowledge. Paul Faulkner "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing, and have subsequently given them permission to speak with the player."

what means motd? =s

Its a TV show here where they show the goals and highlights from the games at the weekend. At the start of the show in their opening sequence they used to show Darren Bent but he has been replaced by Benteke.

• Like 1

More than enough, and Downing wanted to go anyway.

Source?

I thought it was common knowledge. Paul Faulkner "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing, and have subsequently given them permission to speak with the player."

But Downing had said a month previously that he wanted to stay.

Its funny how the kangaroo court deems Faulkner to be telling the truth but Downing to be lying

Well, Downing standing with Caroll holding up that scarf wasn't really telling that he wanted to stay, was it? Yorke also once said that he'd be fine staying at Villa if we didn't wanna sell him. The rest is history. There are plenty of examples of players saying they want to stay just shortly before they leave. I really doubt Downing was forced out. In fact, this is the first time I've heard anyone suggest it.

what means motd? =s

Its a TV show here where they show the goals and highlights from the games at the weekend. At the start of the show in their opening sequence they used to show Darren Bent but he has been replaced by Benteke.

oh ok tyvm everyone for the explanation =) 

This season Benteke has won more headers (261) than any other player in the top five leagues in Europe. 

I actually find that a little odd, I'm not denying he's great in the air but he's been physically dominated before - by Samba in the QPR match, and by Bassong (to a smaller extent) in the Norwich one

When it comes to Christian, him being dominated usually simply means he won less than 90%+ of the headers. 

In all honesty, I do think he got dominated by Samba.

Well, Downing standing with Caroll holding up that scarf wasn't really telling that he wanted to stay, was it? Yorke also once said that he'd be fine staying at Villa if we didn't wanna sell him. The rest is history. There are plenty of examples of players saying they want to stay just shortly before they leave. I really doubt Downing was forced out. In fact, this is the first time I've heard anyone suggest it.

That's great-I really don't doubt that Downing was forced out so we'll have to agree to disagree won't we?

As for Yorke-The Mirror ran a back page headline that United were in for him around 8 months before he eventualy joined them.I don't ever recall Yorke pledging his loyalty to Villa in those 8 months-In fact he was banging down Ellis's door begging to be allowed to leave.

Downing was not forced out. He wanted to leave. It's pretty obvious he wanted to leave. Same with Barry, same with Milner, same with Young. Hence handing in a transfer request and having his photo taken with Carroll. Plus, if Downing actually wanted to stay but was forced out i'm sure he would have told the press that to prevent abuse from Villa fans. He wanted to go, that much is completely obvious.

I really hope Benteke doesn't force a move. 1 more season then he can go where he wants. I really hope he doesnt end up at Liverpool or Spurs, he's better than that. 

Edited by PieFacE

Downing was not forced out. He wanted to leave. It's pretty obvious he wanted to leave. Same with Barry, same with Milner, same with Young. Hence handing in a transfer request and having his photo taken with Carroll. Plus, if Downing actually wanted to stay but was forced out i'm sure he would have told the press that to prevent abuse from Villa fans. He wanted to go, that much is completely obvious.

I really hope Benteke doesn't force a move. 1 more season then he can go where he wants. I really hope he doesnt end up at Liverpool or Spurs, he's better than that. 

So he's been the only big earner that the club hasn't wanted shot of then?

Come on mate-Wake up & smell the coffee.Why do you think MON left & then successfully sued the club for constructive dismissal?

Come on mate-Wake up & smell the coffee.Why do you think MON left & then successfully sued the club for constructive dismissal?

Eh? I don't think the club particularly wanted to get rid of any of the good players, the players wanted to leave because "bigger" clubs came in for them.

I don't think Faulkner is going to come out and say "Downing handed in a transfer request" when he didn't, would he? 

And MON didn't win. It was settled outside of court. I don't see what that has to do with Downing wanting to leave anyway. 

Edited by PieFacE

Eh? I don't think the club particularly wanted to get rid of any of the good players, the players wanted to leave because "bigger" clubs came in for them.

I don't think Faulkner is going to come out and say "Downing handed in a transfer request" when he didn't, is he? 

And MON didn't win. It was settled outside of court. I don't see what that has to do with Downing wanting to leave anyway. 

OK-I'll spell it out for you:

MON was told he was going to have to cut the wage bill down & work on a different wage budget to the one that had been agreed when he first joined the club.Recieving money from Lerner out of court is winning in my book-Unless you think Lerner wanted to give him the money.Downing was touted to 3 clubs & Liverpool were the only ones who showed interest.If we didn't want to sell him,I find it strange that Lerner just happened to keep almost half o the transfer fee don't you?Lerner gambled & lost in the quest forCL football-No more talk of 5 year plans or bright futures,just talk of cutbacks in the wage bill.We may well have achieved 5 years worth of cut backs in the space of 2 seasons but it has almost cost us our Premier League place & we're not quite out of the woods yet.

Anyway-That's in the past now.Lets hope he resists temptation to cash in on Benteke this summer-That would really add insult to injury to expet Lambert to work on a shoestring & still sell any gems unearthed for a quick profit. 

Okay, your spelling out of things still doesn't change my mind at all. There's absolutely no proof that Downing was touted to 3 clubs. Unless you can provide some? What is fact is that Downing handed in a transfer request. Which to me, indicates that the club didn't want to sell him, but he wanted to go. Otherwise, why the need to hand in transfer request?

And like Downing, Young, Barry and Milner... I don't expect the club will want to sell Benteke. They will want to sell Given, Bent, Ireland, Hutton etc etc...  

Â