Christian Benteke

Kwan

If Lambert has cut a vast majority of the major earners off the wage bill, we stay in the league and get all of that extra revenue next season, I think it would be a bit silly if Lerner didn't provide some form of warchest for his efforts

What worries me is liverpool coming in with a "cheeky" bid of £15m and start to cry out in the press when we say no, trying to turn Benteke against us. Like they did with Barry. And Downing.

If Lambert has cut a vast majority of the major earners off the wage bill, we stay in the league and get all of that extra revenue next season, I think it would be a bit silly if Lerner didn't provide some form of warchest for his efforts

Exactly.

We need a major overhaul in the summer. I cant see Lerner giving Lambert money to spend unless it comes from player sales.

Not a major overhaul, but we definitely need to address specific areas of the team.Unfortunately, you're probably right about any monies being available.

Bringing in 4 or 5 players of a proven top half Premier League standard is unlikely because of transfers and wages. Bringing in half a dozen lower league players is too risky on top of what we have. Doing very little, especially to the defence and midfield strength, relies too heavily just on our younger players gaining experience from this season. Hopefully we'll attempt a minor overhaul, if that's not a contradiction in terms.

I still think RL is more concerned about the wage structure than not spending on transfers. IF a few £40k+/week players can be jettisoned in the summer, I think RL will sanction some decent transfer values, provided the new contracts are less than around £40k/week. I expect what value is perceived as 'decent' will vary amongst most!

If we re-contract Benteke (possibly the only exception to offering less than £40k/week), it will be a great start.

His agent reckons he'll stay.

http://m.442.com.au/News/Article.aspx?CIID=341853

If players start to show faith and don't bail for more cash then things could turn around and finally some cohesion will set in.

^Along with a degree of strengthening, ^this^ is what is needed.^

From the article linked above:

"It is always impossible to predict the future in football, but, at the ­moment I am 99 percent certain Christian will start next season with Aston Villa in the Premier League."

I note the season starts a few weeks before the transfer deadline; Dwight Yorke anyone?

Come on Christian, you can borrow my pen!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-christian-benteke-not-3311429

"It is believed chairman Randy Lerner and manager Paul Lambert would even be prepared to resist offers of up to £30 million – more than four times what the club paid for him eight months ago"

There is no way Lerner would refuse £30m

On what basis? I think that's a ridiculous statement

On the basis we owe him a fortune, our net debt is in excess of £120m and the club loses money year in year out.

On the bases that we will get 60 million tv money this year and next 3 years that could be paid off(if we stay up of course) Also were getting rid of allot of high earners and replacing them with low wages, the club will start to turn a profit, so i think its a ridiculous statement as well

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-christian-benteke-not-3311429

"It is believed chairman Randy Lerner and manager Paul Lambert would even be prepared to resist offers of up to £30 million – more than four times what the club paid for him eight months ago"

On the basis we owe him a fortune, our net debt is in excess of £120m and the club loses money year in year out.

On the bases that we will get 60 million tv money this year and next 3 years that could be paid off(if we stay up of course) Also were getting rid of allot of high earners and replacing them with low wages, the club will start to turn a profit, so i think its a ridiculous statement as well

I might come up a bit short if we have to pay him back. I don't think it works like that at all and agree that it's ridiculous

If the young players keep improving then so will their wages if we want to keep them. Its foolhardy to suggest that wages will always be low at our club. 

It would take a brave man to walk away from the success on the field he has had.

He has a phenomenal first season in the Premier League.

Largely down to him partly down to our style of play.

He would do well to consolidate and see where it takes him and us.

Aston Villa has been a good breeding ground for centre forwards.... a good adviser would be wise to point this out to him.

plenty of time my son, plenty of time ( to earn the big money)

If the young players keep improving then so will their wages if we want to keep them. Its foolhardy to suggest that wages will always be low at our club. 

My reading of the situation is that the low wages are for low performance...... we have been paying high wages for low performance.

when we start hitting the big time on the field so will the wages mirror that, i'm sure.

.....not much wrong with that in my view.

He'd do better to stay here and play week in week out than rot on Man City's bench, but his agent looks like he's after a big payday. Lets see where things go in the summer. I'd be disappointed if he left but not overly surprised. 

So far he has 18 league goals and 22 in all comps. With 3 games to go he has a great chance at cracking the mythical 20 league goals mark.

Players like this are rare, so a substantial rise is absolutely necessary to keep him here next season. He must look at players like Bent, on a good 3 times more than him, despite being a non-entity this season and half the player he is, and expect a lot more than what he's on right now.

This just the reality of football, good players at this level command high wages, I don't like it but that's the way it is. What I would prefer is a more substantial bonus culture, so a relatively low basic wage with high performance related bonuses, but that doesn't really happen does it?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Tony cascarino - absolute whankher has done a big piece in today's Racing Post demanding Wenger to buy Benteke, saying there will be little change out of £25m and how lambert has no chane of holding on to Benteke this summer.

Absolute whankher

Tony cascarino - absolute whankher has done a big piece in today's Racing Post demanding Wenger to buy Benteke, saying there will be little change out of £25m and how lambert has no chane of holding on to Benteke this summer.

Absolute whankher

Yep, Twatarino is one of our worst ever players, and a complete word removed.

Benteke had a poor game today along with many others,i think theirs some bad blood between him and Bassong he got right under Bentekes skin today,on another day he could have been sent off for grabbing Bassong around the throat.

Benteke had a poor game today along with many others,i think theirs some bad blood between him and Bassong he got right under Bentekes skin today,on another day he could have been sent off for grabbing Bassong around the throat.

Was hoping for the choke slam to be honest. It was silly to react, but at least people will see that he isn't taking any shit. Bassong getting up in his face was the reason why he wasn't sent off in my opinion, if the ref had only seen Benteke's part then he would've been walking.

Â