Christian Benteke

Kwan

I'd rather pay Benteke high wages instead of selling him and using that money to buy a new striker. He is one of the best strikers in the league and we'd be mad to let him go. 

We have to be realistic. I will be pleased if we can keep him another season then sell on for a massive profit and reinvest the money. If lambert can unearth more gems like him , Lowton and Westwood we should be in good shape for a few years .

I said before, offer him £60k a week and put in a release clause at say £25-30m, that leaves us covered if he ever became difficult and wanted to leave, plus gives him a decent pay rise for him to want to stay a bit longer.  

Who was the last villa player to score a hatrick in front of the Holte (all 3?)

Carew versus Newcastle.

Were all 3 at the Holte goal ?

Yes. 1-0 down at half time to Michael Owen goal. Bouma scored his first goal for the club with a wicked deflection and then Carew got the hattrick. My first time to Villa Park. I was in Lower Holte 6  :D

I seem to remember that being a game where Marlon Harewood played an absolute blinder!

best thing now is for him to be injured throught the summer

Wow i cant believe what i am reading... we need him in our national squad 2 u know thats really sad from u to say such a thing.. :blink:

I don't think caw2510 really meant it to be fair. I think (hope) he was only joking because it would stop other clubs putting a bid in for him. I don't think anyone wishes injuries on any player.

Who was the last villa player to score a hatrick in front of the Holte (all 3?)

Carew versus Newcastle.

Were all 3 at the Holte goal ?

Yes. 1-0 down at half time to Michael Owen goal. Bouma scored his first goal for the club with a wicked deflection and then Carew got the hattrick. My first time to Villa Park. I was in Lower Holte 6  :D

I seem to remember that being a game where Marlon Harewood played an absolute blinder!

Carew was not the last person to score a Hat-Trick at VP, that player in fact is Agbonlahor against Man City scoring a perfect one, 1 left, 1 right and 1 header all in front of the Holte.

I think once survival is secure Lambert should meet with him and his agent and assure Benteke this is best place for him to develop becaue as good as he has been their is still room for improvement. For me he can play for Real Madrid in 2 or 3 years he is that good.

Alternatively if that doesnt work we kidnap him and tie him up until September 1st ;)

God knows why but I've got an overwhelming feeling he'll stay. I moved seats for the Sunderland game to sit with some friends (Moved to the bottom of the Lower Holte) and the way he was reacting when he scored his goals; to the Holte, to the players. It seems he loves it here.

The key to your future success isn't keeping Benteke, but using the money you get for him well. At the end of the day, all good player want to play for the biggest clubs, so he will leave. In the past you've had a pretty bad track record when it comes to selling players and reinvesting. Barry, Milner, Young and Downing have all been sold and the result has been a relegation battle. But it doesn't have to be like that and there are clubs that often sell their best stars, but still manage to stay in that top 6. Valencia in Spain are the obvious example, but in the Prem, us (Spurs), Everton and Arsenal have all frequently sold our best players and remain in the top 6 or 7 most of the time. Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and VDV have all gone, but the club moves on. Bale will go and I still think we'll challenge the top 4 spots. 

Tekkers can be the key to Villa's future success. In the same manner as Spurs have done with the players you've mentioned there, bought relatively cheap and sold on for a fat profit. It's the same with Benteke, there's no point selling him now or next year to 2nd tier teams like Spurs, Arse or Pool for £15-20m, who can then sell him on again in a few years for funny money to a Real Madrid or Manchester United.

Taking the medium to long term view here, Tekkers can take Villa back up the table and into Europe if Lambert and the kids live up to their potential. then Villa can sell him for £30-40m to a top tier team and reinvest like you suggested. 

I doubt he would gamble on a move right before a World Cup. I think he'll stay. He tweeted as much a few weeks ago but he deleted it shortly after.

Spurs are in negotiations with Leandro Damiao according to his club Internacional, so it looks like they prefer him anyway.

Mat Kendrick over at the Birmingham Mail is saying that Lambert and co. won't even look at offers under 30 million. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's encouraging in some senses.

Mat Kendrick over at the Birmingham Mail is saying that Lambert and co. won't even look at offers under 30 million. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's encouraging in some senses.

As much as Kendrick is a reporter, he is easily the most viable regarding Villa and he wouldn't just come up with it for no reason which is really positive. Who is up for a party if a contract is negotiated?

I'd be very very surprised if we even got an offer of about £25m for us to be able to turn down. Smart clubs don't splash out on a striker after one good season. Look at Papiss Cisse - I know he was only at Newcastle since January but still.

The only time I can remember it happening was Andy Carroll, and we all know how that tuned out for Liverpool.

I think teams will want to see how he does in his second season before committing a massive amount of money for his signature yet.

Â