Christian Benteke

Kwan

He was very good for us, not going to deny that, but he was never one of us was he? Like Laursen, Mellberg or Carew. They all bought into the club and you can see how much the club means to them. For Benteke it was just a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with that, he was great for us, but i'll never regard him as fondly as the others. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

He was very good for us, not going to deny that, but he was never one of us was he? Like Laursen, Mellberg or Carew. They all bought into the club and you can see how much the club means to them. For Benteke it was just a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with that, he was great for us, but i'll never regard him as fondly as the others. 

To be fair (though not sure if it excuses it) but didn’t he set his stall out from day one?

I recall him saying something like his dream was to play for Arsenal within days of signing  for us, then in his first summer he looked to try and join spurs before signing a new contract.

Im happy that for once, we got the good end of the deal, we had the best Benteke possible then cashed in before he went shit, not often we’ve been able to do that.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For a time, you just had to play a receivable ball to Benteke and whatever he tried would come off for him, he found and worked the angles really well when finishing.

I reckon my favourite goals from Benteke were against West Brom and Norwich in terms of technique, but he often found the back of the next in a very deliberate fashion.

I heard from a Liverpool fan the other day that he thought Benteke was never a bad player for Liverpool, he just didn't suit the system and wasn't prolific as a consequence.

I thought Ayew always showed potential to influence games in the top tier, but it surprises me to see him preferred to and taking minutes from Benteke this season.

I've done a bit of a U-turn, I'm pretty damn confident he won't, it's impractical and I don't think either party are interested, but I'd be open to a return this January a lot more than I was.

On 29/09/2019 at 09:18, jim said:

4 goals in 52 league appearances! He really has gone to shit. 

Probably getting £120k+ a week for that. They probably have several “kids” in the setup who could return that or more for 1/10th of the salary.

31 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Just had a contract extension I think. Madness.

He was out of contract in the summer so probably tied him down to a similar paid wage to avoid him leaving for nothing next year, after their initial outlay of over £20m for him.

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

He was out of contract in the summer so probably tied him down to a similar paid wage to avoid him leaving for nothing next year, after their initial outlay of over £20m for him.

I'm surprised he signed it tbh. As a free agent I'm sure someone decent would take a chance on him with no transfer fee.

Shows a bit of a lack of confidence by him and his agent.

11 hours ago, theboyangel said:

So, to protect their investment they give him another contract, throw several millions more at him over the next 18 months, get a handful of goals out of him as he continues to decline by getting older, slower, lazier and even shitter  and then he leaves for nothing.    :crylaugh:Genius strategy.

8 hours ago, privateer said:

So, to protect their investment they give him another contract, throw several millions more at him over the next 18 months, get a handful of goals out of him as he continues to decline by getting older, slower, lazier and even shitter  and then he leaves for nothing.    :crylaugh:Genius strategy.

To be fair you wouldn't have to think too hard to find a few examples of us doing the same in recent years...

Â