Christian Benteke

Kwan

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can anyone think of a player successfully returning to a club?

Genuine question, cos I'm struggling though sure there's some out there.

Steve Staunton maybe?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I just above a seasons worth. It's awful yeah, with two bad injuries mixed in. 

He has 6 assists in that time too and wins everything that comes near him in the air still, for whatever it's worth.

Right so season on the line we gamble on a crocked player with shit form who's a sick note waiting to happen and become complete laughing stock for such a signing. Sounds like a plan

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

But Wesley at any point in his career has never scored lots of goals.

Benteke has - and never more so than when he played for us.

****Seriously as I type this - the lion sleeps tonight comes on the TV !!!

The biggest fallacy in sports, that past success = future success.

Benteke is 29. He's in his "prime". He has scored 4 goals in 3 seasons. Injuries have ruined him, he's a busted flush.

• Like 2

Just now, av1 said:

I don't understand your point, Ashley Young scored a lot of goals for us, should we get him back?

2019/2020

Crystal Palace 15 games 0 goals 

2018/2019

Crystal Palace 16 games  1 goal

2017/2018

Crystal Palace 31 games 3 goals 

2016/2017

Crystal Palace 36 games 15 goals

2016/2017

Liverpool 0 games 0 goals 

2015/2016

Liverpool 29 games 9 goals 

2014/2015

Aston Villa 29 games 13 goals 

2013/2014

Aston Villa 26 games 10 goals 

2012/2013

Aston Villa 34 games 19 goals 

Take away the 19 goals in 2012/2013 (7yrs ago) and I'd honestly back Wesley to match those figures. 

The guy is shot. 

Those stats include appearances as a sub. It's not a very accurate representation.  

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I don't understand your point, Ashley Young scored a lot of goals for us, should we get him back?

2019/2020

Crystal Palace 15 games 0 goals 

2018/2019

Crystal Palace 16 games  1 goal

2017/2018

Crystal Palace 31 games 3 goals 

2016/2017

Crystal Palace 36 games 15 goals

2016/2017

Liverpool 0 games 0 goals 

2015/2016

Liverpool 29 games 9 goals 

2014/2015

Aston Villa 29 games 13 goals 

2013/2014

Aston Villa 26 games 10 goals 

2012/2013

Aston Villa 34 games 19 goals 

Take away the 19 goals in 2012/2013 (7yrs ago) and I'd honestly back Wesley to match those figures. 

The guy is shot. 

But Wesley is injured - and unable to play this season. So whilst you might be right Wesley isnt  getting any goals in this season's relegation fight.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Right so season on the line we gamble on a crocked player with shit form who's a sick note waiting to happen and become complete laughing stock for such a signing. Sounds like a plan

No. We should sign 2 strikers. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can anyone think of a player successfully returning to a club?

Genuine question, cos I'm struggling though sure there's some out there.

For us Gordon Cowans was great when he came back after 3 years in Italy. Steve Staunton also did well in his second stint after going back to Liverpool for a couple of years. On the flip side Andy Gray was a shadow of his former self when he came back for a second stint.

As for Benteke I am not sure if simply returning to us can reignite what he once was. He is now nearly 5 years older and has had a couple of lengthy spells out with injury over the last couple of years.

When he signed for us in 2012 he was hungry and eager to get to the top which is the reason he left. We'd now be getting a player on the way down and without that hunger I doubt he'd be anything like the Benteke we remember.

• Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No. We should sign 2 strikers. 

Try not to assume you know what I'm thinking before you ask. 

So sign a better striker and Benteke as backup who was on 120k at Palace when he first signed or get promising young striker through scouts that will be looking for half what Benteke wants in wages. **** these BS kind of signings and small club mentality. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

So sign a better striker and Benteke as backup who was on 120k at Palace when he first signed or get promising young striker through scouts that will be looking for half what Benteke wants in wages. **** these BS kind of signings and small club mentality. 

You're going to be disappointed no matter who we sign. 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Those stats include appearances as a sub. It's not a very accurate representation.  

Now edited with sub appearances and link. 

My point really still stands, bar one great season 8yrs ago his record isn't fantastic and over the last 4yrs it's pretty horrific. 

This thread is peak VT.

It’s often said players get better the longer they are out of the side, but this is a whole new level. 

Imagine for a moment that he’d never left. He stayed with us, but still had the same injuries and goal record over the past few seasons. Now imagine what kind of an absolute state the Benteke thread would be in. 

Fair play to those of you who think this would work. You’re all completely bonkers, but I genuinely love a bit of nostalgia, mixed with blind optimism and for that I salute you. 

• Like 3

Just now, av1 said:

Now edited with sub appearances and link. 

My point really still stands, bar one great season 8yrs ago his record isn't fantastic and over the last 4yrs it's pretty horrific. 

You're literally trying to re-write history I know to be different from your take on it. He had more than "one great season" for the Villa. He was fine for Liverpool, he simply didn't fit Klopp. He had a good debut season for Palace. He has been injured. 

Yes he could be finished because of the injuries, but talking down his record before that is just factually incorrect, isn't it? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

The biggest fallacy in sports, that past success = future success.

Benteke is 29. He's in his "prime". He has scored 4 goals in 3 seasons. Injuries have ruined him, he's a busted flush.

There was a bloke who lived next door to my nan - bed ridden with heart problems and arthritis......Doctors gave him 2 weeks to live........

Six months later he won Wimbledon.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Golden rule - never go back.  Look at James Milner.................wait a minute, bad example. 

Err Gordon Cowans...... Doh, Andy Gray.... Garn.. Steve Staunton.....Aaagh.  

OK I give in. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're literally trying to re-write history I know to be different from your take on it. He had more than "one great season" for the Villa. He was fine for Liverpool, he simply didn't fit Klopp. He had a good debut season for Palace. He has been injured. 

Yes he could be finished because of the injuries, but talking down his record before that is just factually incorrect, isn't it? 

We may have to agree to disagree I feel. 

I think he had 1 great season with us, the others average. 

Â