Christian Benteke

Kwan

26 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

For those with a penchant for logic, can you spot the flaw in this set of premises /conclusion?

1. Benteke was good for Villa

2. He left Villa 4 years ago and has been terrible for two other clubs

3. Therefore, if he comes back to Villa he will be good again.

Sure, I'll bite.(although I'm all for Benteke coming back)

Your premises are sound, but the conclusion is invalid. Or rather, you're missing a sound premise of the conclusion to be valid. The following would be an argument whos premises support the conclusion.

1.Benteke was good for Villa

2.He left Villa 4 years ago and has been terrible for 2 other clubs.

3.If Benteke plays for a club he was good for in the past, he will become good.

4.Therefore, if he comes back to Villa he will be good again.

There are other premises that may be able to act as the connecting premise but for the purposes of this example, I will use this one. However, there's no reason to believe premise 3 so that argument fails as well.

You can also throw out premise 2 I guess. Its not necessary to the argument whatsoever.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Thank Christ there are no actual credible links other than a few quotes from a former player. 

Is this even thread worthy?

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Palace won't loan him to us - it would have to be a permanent deal :)

Money well spent - even if he doesn't keep us up.

scored on his debut for us as well.

Depends how much it is. If it's more than £8m I'd be mortified, and even that is steep.

Has to be 1 of 2 strikers signed.

• Thanks 1

Call me sentimental but yes me too, we need a striker badly.

Arguably his best form was at Villa and maybe he will feel more confident back with us and perform better than he has in recent seasons. You have to remember for all those pointing at his poor goal ratio he has had some serious injuries, I just hope he's okay now?

One thing I noticed with Wesley he didn't seem to be getting into position to head home a cross or tap-in as he was dropping too deep, Benteke will look to be on the end of crosses and in and around the six-yard box more. 

I really do understand every legitimate reason for why we shouldn't and why it wouldn't work, but I also really don't care. What's the point of even being a Villa fan if you can't be nostalgic for marginally better times. Get him back in as one of two (which would be necessary) and let the joy commence.

• Like 2

I don't want him. Don't think he's very good anymore. 

But we have to be realistic and realise we probably can't do better in our position in the league. Being linked to Reina and signing drinkwater shows exactly how poor of an attraction we are currently. And that the owners probably can't spend 30m+ on a proven player.

Sign him and hope he doesn't get injured. 

Â