Christian Benteke

Kwan

If Liverpool get him then they'll have played an absolute blinder because he deserves Champions League. Their fans are understandably bigging their team up and they think they have the divine right to choose whether they want him or not, which IMV is laughable. If it goes the way it should go then they'll never get near him, because there'll be a queue of continental Champions League clubs waiting to outbid each other on him. I really wouldn't rule out Man Utd or Chelsea though.

Particularly United.  As it stands, United have 1 solid striker going into next season in Rooney. RVP is done.  Falcao is not wanted.  Chicarito is already being whored out and Wilson will be on loan (maybe even to us).  LVG has also shown that he likes physicality up front when using Fellaini, so bringing in Benteke in that regime as a round peg in a round hole makes absolute sense. As for Chelsea, they had Lukaku and for various reasons to do with attitude and work ethic, they decided he wasn't for them.  But they're not exactly flush with strikers at the moment either and Benteke is the complete forward.

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind where he goes as long as it's not Liverpool.  He's not going to move sideways which means he's not going to impact on our season, plus I'd like to be able to watch him every week without scouring youtube et al.  If I can see him progressing and contributing at United then that works for me.

Obviously I'd prefer he stay where he is and give us another season, especially if the takeover happens.  But given that we're talking 'what ifs' and given that the likelyhood is the footballing world ain't gonna let us keep him for another season, then the above would be my take.

• Like 2

If he goes then he can go where he likes as long as we get the money we want for him. If it is to be Liverpool then it is his mistake to make.

It would be very sorry to see him go because I rate him alongside Andy Gray and Peter Withe as one of the best three centre forwards I have seen in a Villa shirt.

I really hope we can get at least another season with him. We cannot afford to let him go and most do everything possible to keep him and if that fails try some more! Given the coming relaxation in FFP and a potential new owner we might even be able to increase his pay to match what a player of his ability can expect to earn these days. That and a FA Cup win might just persuade him to remain in claret & bue. If not, it may be another 30 years before we see a striker of his quality play for us again.    

Yeah couldn't really give a monkeys where he decides to go, as long as we get the money we want for him.

Preferably I'd like him not to leave, but I think that's unlikely. Though, I think he should stay as it will be better for him as the EURO's are coming up.

I don't particularly believe that story about him forcing a move, in a recent interview he has stated that handing in his transfer request previously was a mistake and I don't think he will do it again.

• Like 1

If Liverpool get him then they'll have played an absolute blinder because he deserves Champions League. Their fans are understandably bigging their team up and they think they have the divine right to choose whether they want him or not, which IMV is laughable. If it goes the way it should go then they'll never get near him, because there'll be a queue of continental Champions League clubs waiting to outbid each other on him. I really wouldn't rule out Man Utd or Chelsea though.

Particularly United.  As it stands, United have 1 solid striker going into next season in Rooney. RVP is done.  Falcao is not wanted.  Chicarito is already being whored out and Wilson will be on loan (maybe even to us).  LVG has also shown that he likes physicality up front when using Fellaini, so bringing in Benteke in that regime as a round peg in a round hole makes absolute sense. As for Chelsea, they had Lukaku and for various reasons to do with attitude and work ethic, they decided he wasn't for them.  But they're not exactly flush with strikers at the moment either and Benteke is the complete forward.

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind where he goes as long as it's not Liverpool.  He's not going to move sideways which means he's not going to impact on our season, plus I'd like to be able to watch him every week without scouring youtube et al.  If I can see him progressing and contributing at United then that works for me.

Obviously I'd prefer he stay where he is and give us another season, especially if the takeover happens.  But given that we're talking 'what ifs' and given that the likelyhood is the footballing world ain't gonna let us keep him for another season, then the above would be my take.

I wouldnt argue with any of that. i am sure his agent is aware he can aim higher than Liverpool. hope he wins us the cup then will wish him well. Be a legend in my eyes as its mainly thanks to him reason we have stayed up last few years 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

You have to laugh at that Sun article. I have no idea why people believe anything that's in the papers. I mean, "Benteke has told his close friends that he wants a move to Liverpool"? How do they know this? Phone hacking? :lol:

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

Needs to be made aware that if he goes to Liverpool then his next move will have to be aboard, thus due to Liverpool's refusal of selling their best player to big English clubs.

You have to laugh at that Sun article. I have no idea why people believe anything that's in the papers. I mean, "Benteke has told his close friends that he wants a move to Liverpool"? How do they know this? Phone hacking? :lol:

The only time they had reliable info was when they hacked phones.

• Like 1

Needs to be made aware that if he goes to Liverpool then his next move will have to be aboard, thus due to Liverpool's refusal of selling their best player to big English clubs.

Torres?

(I'm guessing Sterling to Man City soon)

Rather he:

1) Moved to a club abroad

2) Came a cropper in the summer and had to retire

or

3) Decided to jack in football and took up Olympic curling

than ever see him play against us...

Edited by DJ_Villain

Liverpool are basically where we were under MON , hanging around 6th place after spending millions on players not good enough to push them on.They lost Suarez and Sterling looks to be off ,  just as we lost Young and Milner.

IMO Rodgers peaked with his 2nd last season mostly on the back on the brilliance of Suarez and is on very thin ice there.£220 million he has spent and won nothing.

In no way is this the correct move for Benteke , not in the slightest.I also suspect they don't have the money to afford him without selling Sterling so its one step forward one step back.

United and Chelsea have been mentioned above but perhaps Arsenal would also be interested as still don't get enough goals from Giroud or Welbeck.

From the history of previous potential moves between the 2 clubs I would also expect Liverpool to under bid and then let it be known that we are denying him his dream move to Anfield. 

• Like 4

Players like Christian, strikers in particular, come around once every decade. It'd be a genuine shame to see him go. Obviously I understand why though.

The sad thing is at his age if he stayed on, we could properly build around him now and challenge/win as much as he will with Liverpool.

• Like 1

Â