Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I remember a game, think it was against Palace, we were 1-0 down (at VP) and chasing the game, he came off the bench for the last few minutes and showed more intent than any other player on the pitch by actually having a shot (from a ridiculous angle and distance) which looked as though it had beaten the keeper and was about to fly into the top far corner. Alas, it went just wide but I'm sure the whole ground thought it was in... He aint that bad, just needs a run I think.

His debut was a game to forget.

From what I saw of him in a Villa shirt, his problem is his selfishness. He will attempt to shoot from anywhere on the pitch, regardless of where other players are. From rumours of his time up North (I never saw him play there) this was his main problem there too.

I'd rather see Grealish, Gardner and (dare I say it) Gil given a chance over this guy.

If people werent so hyped about some YouTube videos and shouting shoot then he might have been more hesitant ;)

we really should stop buying players from peasant leagues.

does everyone remember the bosko balaban rumour that we had bought a player who wasn't the real bosko? ye i reckon this is the same scenario lol

If only we didnt sign Dwight Yorke from a "peasant league"

• Like 3

I didn't write him off in his first season but as soon as I read that he was doing exactly the same at Celtic (i.e. greedily shooting on sight at every opportunity) then that was it for me. Can't do any harm to give him a go in preseason but I doubt he'll be anything more than a peripheral member of the squad if he is still a Villa player by the window's end.

we really should stop buying players from peasant leagues.

does everyone remember the bosko balaban rumour that we had bought a player who wasn't the real bosko? ye i reckon this is the same scenario lol

If only we didnt sign Dwight Yorke from a "peasant league"

Totally agree with AndyBM.

That Lewandowski guy is balls.

He's back in training because were still paying his wages, what else are we going to do? "Nah you're alright mate just stay at home on your jollys!"

That's what the club did to Hutton and Bent

Edited by maqroll

I genuinely thought he would go up to Scotland in a hideous league and piss all over it. If Kris Commons could score 20 plus I thought Tonev would be able to.

Even before the racism though it wasn't working out, the reviews on their forum were awful, exactly the same as when he was here. Shooting from all over the shop.

He is an awful footballer, and cannot be that bright. You don't even need to shoot from distance playing for Celtic. my nann could loiter around the penalty box and bag 15 a season.

To be honest the fact that he shot so much wasnt really the problem (although it did get laughable).

It was the fact that all his shots were so pants. He can clearly strike a football but he seemed to entirely lose that ability in his time with us and presumably Celtic too.

In all the shots he had with us I can only remember one he hit properly in a League cup game vs Spurs. Was a real wobbler which nearly caused Friedel some problems even though he was 35 yards out.

I have no doubt TS is interested to have a look but it very difficult to see that he will make it here.

Edited by villaglint

Will be surprised if he is involved at all once the premier league season is up and running.

Same with Chris Herd; as it stands I can understand Sherwood wanting to have a look at them as they are contracted to the club but neither are really good enough and having a look during pre-season would do no harm.

Chris Herd really should've gone the way of Hogg and dropped down the leagues in order to have a good career really but that's for another thread.

Â