The Randy Lerner thread

CI

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Understanding the sentiment isn't the same as condoning.

I said before, I fear similar scenes when we go down to the scenes at St Andrews when they went down a few years ago. Tearing up their own stadium.

I understand the sentiment. They're angry that they've gone down. I'd obviously understand the sentiment when we're in that situation. But I'd hate to see that, and I have a horrible feeling we will. 

I don't think that will happen - it will be, at worse, verbal abuse directed at Lerner and the board.  I certainly would not want to be Steven Hollis right now, I have my fingers crossed for you Steve ;)

I think something along the lines below from "Go Now" by the Moody Blues might say what we all feel a bit more subtlety it might even get a shout on MOTD ;):

(Lerner) Since you've got to go - Oh you had better go now - Go now, go now, go now!

Yesterday Gary Jacob in "The Times" provided a list of January transfer window spending over the past 5 years. I see we were bottom of that table as well! 

We have spent the lowest amount of money of any of the current PL teams in the January transfer windows from 2012 to 2016. We spent 0.1, 2, 0, 3.2 & 0 in each of these windows. So we have spent 5.3m in 5 January transfer windows and have received £3.45m in player sales (0.6, 2.5, 0, 0.35 & 0) giving us a net spend of £1.85m over those 5 windows.

It seems it is the January transfer window along with the football club that he is the absentee "custodian" of that he chooses to have nothing or very little to do with.    

• Like 2

I often overstep the mark, my language is foul and generally directed at referees or opposition players I don't like. I've brought up personal things and shouted them at players taking corners. I've screamed about wives, I've screamed about scandals, I've screamed about court cases, I've screamed about misdemeanours, I've had a go at players for big noses and stupid haircuts, I carry grudges and on one proud occasion at the Hawthorns in the Intertoto I managed to upset former European footballer of the year Jean Pierre Papin enough that he gave me the finger. In the warm up.

I'm not quite tamed as yet, but there's a clear line between trying to put someone off their game and celebrating their death I think. 

That wasn't you with the inflatable snake at the Man C match was it? [emoji3]

Someone needs to stick this on a giant banner for the TV game for Liverpool to show these clowns how we feel

If we all put it on our Facebook/Twitter pages then hope it goes viral and that someone close to Lerner sees it and shoves it in his face because I reckon the stupid yank doesn't realise just how much he is despised this side of the Atlantic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If we all put it on our Facebook/Twitter pages then hope it goes viral and that someone close to Lerner sees it and shoves it in his face because I reckon the stupid yank doesn't realise just how much he is despised this side of the Atlantic.

Social media unfortunately doesnt get anywhere, you have to do something physically to get the attention. If its on TV the sky cameras will pick it up and thats the best way for that scumbag lerner to see how much we despise him and want him out

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The chants in the concourse are still out of order, no matter what we think of him as an owner. It just makes us look like the animals down the road.

Meh, not one part of me disagrees with the sentiment of those chants.

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Also what would people prefer?

"I hope Randy Lerner stubs his toe, I hope Randy Lerner stubs his toe..."

Smacks of a bit prawn sandwich to say that we should be "above all that". IMO of course.

I get what your saying about expressing emotion and not meaning it literally, but there is no need for it.  We all just want him to f**k off and sell the cub - surly we can come up with chants that convey that?  Why do we need to bring death into it at all?  I don’t care about upsetting him and if fans feel that is the only way to express their anger go ahead, but it does not help the club, in fact it could make things worse.  If you were a player, a manager, a prospective player or potential buyer would you want to stay at, or come to, a club where supporters sing chants like that?  Don’t get me wrong, I think our away support is second to none, it was last night. But I think chants like that do not reflect well on us.  Just my opinion, it's a free world.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I get what your saying about expressing emotion and not meaning it literally, but there is no need for it.  We all just want him to f**k off and sell the cub - surly we can come up with chants that convey that?  Why do we need to bring death into it at all?  I don’t care about upsetting him and if fans feel that is the only way to express their anger go ahead, but it does not help the club, in fact it could make things worse.  If you were a player, a manager, a prospective player or potential buyer would you want to stay at, or come to, a club where supporters sing chants like that?  Don’t get me wrong, I think our away support is second to none, it was last night. But I think chants like that do not reflect well on us.  Just my opinion, it's a free world.

As you say, if any potential buyers see these chants they are going to have second thoughts about which club to buy. They will see a big difference between chants wanting him out and chants wanting him to die.

All fair enough. I think you're being overly sensitive though myself. I think it depends on your sense of humour? Maybe you had to be there but for the most part it wasn't sang with venom.

Football has moved on a lot over the last 30 years, granted. But we still sing about killing city fans should they not surrender. If you heard the full lyrics to Holte Enders in the Sky you'd probably have a heart attack. It's an integral part of the game, fans on the terraces pushing the boundaries of decency. I hope it always remains too.

Our support was indeed fantastic last night. Helped by the West Ham fans who were great value as ever. No doubt we will be stuck at opposite ends of a soulless bowl from now on, they will be missed.

• Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No doubt we will be stuck at opposite ends of a soulless bowl from now on, they will be missed.

Yep.

The Olympic Stadium is crap. The financial benefits for them will ease it, but I wouldn't be too chuffed about that move if I was a West Ham fan.

• Like 1

As you say, if any potential buyers see these chants they are going to have second thoughts about which club to buy. They will see a big difference between chants wanting him out and chants wanting him to die.

People with the kind of money to buy a football club don't give a crap about things like that. Randy clearly doesn't.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This, to be honest, is **** ridiculous. People with the kind of money to buy a football club don't give a crap about things like that. Randy clearly doesn't.

Don't judge all people with the money to buy a club by Randy's standards.

Â